SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melly17_gw

What can I do to my kitchen for under 2K?

melly17
13 years ago

What would you do to this kitchen? DH won't let me paint the cabinets (possibly I can paint the island--I'm working on him:-). I'd like the replace the counters and the sink. Any suggestions on how to make this kitchen look more custom rather than a spec one? We did put up the tin back splash last year which I thought helped and I recently painted it the blue color (it was red) but I'm not opposed to other wall color suggestions. I'd like a lighter, more airy feel. I'm dying to do something but our funds are limited--about 2K. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Comments (50)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

melly, you're probably too close to your own kitchen : ), but I think it looks wonderful and not at all like a spec kitchen. I love the light fixture, hardware (especially the cup pulls), backsplash, window treatment, and the decals on the fridge and cabinet door).

It's *definitely* a kitchen with personality, and looks warm and welcoming. The only thing I might consider, to get it more light and airy, is to paint the backsplash white, but I imagine it's probably more practical and easier to clean as it is now : ).

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

I think a new countertop would really go toward a wow factor in your kitchen, but 2k would be pushing it. We're going to put in granite. I was thinking laminate, but dh surprised me by insisting on granite....okay honey! LOL His thinking is that we got an estimate of around $1500 for a laminate counter top a couple years ago, and granite will probably be $2500-3000 depending on what I pick out. We figure that the laminate doesn't net us much on resale value, but the granite would be a definite selling feature and worth more than the difference between the two.

I know you're going for airy, but I don't know if that paint color is working for me. I see your wood as more a warm and rich backdrop rather than light and airy, so those concepts seem to be competing, imo.

You already have a beautiful kitchen though, and I'm sure it will look even lovelier with the advice of all the great people here!

• Related Discussions

The best rider for under 2k???

Q

Comments (1)
    $2000 will net you a nice lawn tractor for your situation. Since you mention Sears, you might also consider the 46" deck equipped Snapper they sell, and the 48" decked Husqvarna, both ~$1800. The JD LA145 fits your price range as well and has a 48" deck. Any of these are nice tractors for your situation (I own the Husqvarna and have been pleased), but if speed is your biggest priority, you might see what sort of used Z-turn you can find. They usually have a top-end speed and maneuverability advantage that makes them a little faster than your average LT. This is probably not the best time of year to get a deal on a new tractor though. You'd probably be better able to deal on a close out in September/Oct/November as the mowing season ends.
    ...See More

Gas slide in range you love under 2K?

Q

Comments (19)
    So, gibby3000, can you tell me a little bit more about the vent for the oven. It is it along the back of the cooktop, front, or in the top of the cooktop with a little grate over it? From what I've read if it is in the front it really is hot for the cook who is maybe standing there working on the cooktop. This model comes in dual fuel with an electric oven, but I've never used an electric oven. My GE gas one works great. However if this vent thing is an issue then I could get the duel full (which always comes with convection too). The Kitchenaid and the Frigidaire are what I am currently considering for either straight gas or dual fuel in a slide in (but the KA freestanding looks more like a slide in so that could be an option too)Oh, all these choices!!!! will I have any hair left?!!!
    ...See More

This room and $2k, what would you do?

Q

Comments (22)
    Thanks everyone for the replies! So I'll start shopping around for stone remnants and see what I can come up with for a remnant. Pal- there is no box behind that light fixture. I just switched out the same light fixture in the upstairs bathroom and there is no box; just wires coming out of the wall behind that fixture. I checked with the folks over in the home remodeling forum and they said that the way my wires are set up is consistent with code and is fine. I just don't have as many options when it comes to light fixtures because I'll need one with a significant backplate on it. What do you think of these as possible light fixtures? (the first light fixture is Dolce by Corbett lighting. I've tried to upsize the photo with not much success). Also, what do you think of framing the mirror in a thin piece of moulding, then doing a tile inset, surrounded by another piece of moulding, like this on houzz.com. [contemporary bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by sacramento interior designer Kerrie L. Kelly
    ...See More

goodguy2k2k - Conestoga Question

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi goodguy2k2k, I wasn't able to reply back directly, you may want to check your email settings. We do have Conestoga RTA cabinets, which we put together ourselves. Our builder hung/installed them. Definitely doable (the constructing that is) once you get the hang of it. We selected them due to the door quality, which is beautiful. The interiors are nicely finished. When we ordered, you couldn't select a custom color for the RTA cabinets, just the doors. (This may have changed). We selected stained cherry for the island and one of their Colourtone colors for the perimeter cabinets. We did not paint anything, other than the occasional trim piece/touchup. (Take a drawer to your paint store and get it color matched). We used Brian Long at the Cabinet Joint (others on this forum have used him as well, very good experience). He (or other dealers) should be able to answer your questions regarding what you need for the oven area. Floor is the original oak (1965?) in our home. Thanks! That's the beauty of wood, it cleans up so very nicely. The microwave drawer has been great, we like it very much. I spent about 6 months on the design. If you have time, buy a few well recommended kitchen design books and read them. Tear out pictures of anything you really like and group them together in files, so you can show your builders examples. Keep a running list of what you dislike AND like about your current kitchen/space. This way, you come up with your requirements. List EVERYTHING you store/need to store. We reconfigured interior walls and bumped out the front of the house 5 feet, and our architect gave us our rough dimensions. From there... I worked with a couple of cabinetry companies, who gave us initial suggestions. We mocked up countertops, appliance areas, and the island shape with tape and then walked through how we cooked / what we did in the kitchen. Combine that with your list/wishlist of appliances and what you need to store, and you will slowly figure out ways to get this done. Best, oldbat2be -------------------------- Hi oldbat2be, Was looking at Conestoga cabinets for my kitchen remodel. It appears from your postings you have Conestoga. They look beautiful. I wonder if you could answer a couple questions for me? - did Conestoga come RTA and painted. I have heard you need to paint the frames? - Conestoga is a bit of a mystery to me as it is hard to find out info on them - I did find a dealer in Michigan but it seems I will have to work with a remote dealer anyway - who did you end up working through and who did you use for installation (a carpenter or other). - what wood color, species, company is you hardwood floor - looks great! - would you do anything differently. - we are considering appliance options and are stuck on a microwave/convection vs a micro drawer. You pics show a micro drawer, do you like it? - Conestoga almost seems to have too many options and it is hard to m ow how they will turn out.. For example, we have a standard (not counter depth) refrigerator. In trying to make it look a bit more built in, the Conestoga dealer wanted to use a tall cabinents as one item.. I thought of using panels and a deep cabinet to get as close to the drive as possible with the opening.. Not sure if you hand to navigate a million choices but how did you finally decide on the layout/design? Thanks a million for any advice you can provide...
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    13 years ago

your kitchen is lovely, warm and inviting and I feel it is airy. when I read what you said I was expecting something else altogether. your pulls are great, love the tin backsplash, and wall color. how about blowing the 2k on a white marble top for the island? that would lighten things up and would look great with the cabinets. btw I agree with hubby, don't paint the cabinets.

• melly17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The kitchen used to be a dark red color that I thought made the kitchen look country and depressing. DH loved the red but I've gotten a lot better feedback from the blue (oddly, all the guys we know liked the red better and all the women like the blue:-) I'm not crazy about the red undertones in the cabinets so I'm trying to counteract that. I've thought of maybe a gray color. What do you think about painting the island? Should I leave it as is or try to paint it?
    Also--COUNTERS! I have not idea what colors to even consider. I just know that I do not want something dark. Maybe a cream color? I would love granite or quartz but I can't do that for 2K. I have thought about doing the island in butcher block from Ikea and doing granite/quartz on the rest. I'm not opposed to laminate if I could find the "right" color". Too many decisions!!

beckysharp--thanks for the nice comments on my kitchen. I realize it isn't the most terrible kitchen in the world and you are right--maybe I am just too close to my kitchen!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Depending on the sq. ft. of counter you may be able to get some remnant pieces. If not, maybe just something for the island top. Can't tell on my monitor, but how about different hardware on the upper cabs-something of more substance to equal the hardware on the bottom cabs?? If a new sink-consider a granite one that so many have and love. I also wouldn't paint the cabs-they're quite lovely. Outlet/plug covers in stainless to coordinate with the backsplash.

Your kitchen really does look very nice as is.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I suggest very lightweight linen or something similar for a semi-light-admitting treatment for the windows--in a very light color like oatmeal or stark white, plain or with a band of contrasting applied trim in a "punchy" color, perhaps in your blue. You could also gather a couple of the fabric panels on a top and bottom rod and run it inside the open cupboard to give it a new distinction. Or, if those are not routed trim cupboards and you can remove a couple panels in the cupboard doors, run gathered fabric in the opening.

Get yourself some interesting pieces in that blue--a fruit bowl (as has been discussed in a recent thread), towels, planters, stool cushion cover, rug. Consider blue and/or purple Fiestaware, if it's the correct color. Or the turquoise in the La Cruset if they still make it.

Your light fixture is mod but the decor is mostly nostalgically old fashioned. If you're not shopping for a more elaborate fixture, how about sewing up a tube of fabric to run up the light cord? Or find something else to put some interest high on the wall in the corner? Recently saw a great stenciled saying on one of the threads: "Bon Appetit" but it could be anything and in an old fashioned typeface or script if you wanted.

Another way to introduce some color within the room would be to look into the glass cup pulls that are available through renovation/restoration hardware sources. You can probably find a suitable purple, blue, or companion color to jive up the faces of the cupboards, which are just fine as they are, but you _were_ looking for ideas.

If you are very adventurous, try messing with the finish on the window--a blue? silver? warm brown? glaze over the paint. If you want a new color suggestion, I'd say introduce a good yellow to complement the blue. Currently you have mostly cool colors. Yellow always feels sunny and happy.

There's nothing really wrong with this kitchen, at least at first glance. If you wait 10 years, you'll have a lot more specific needs and ideas and it will be more fun to spend some cash at that time.

• pugrolls
    13 years ago

Cute kitchen! The first thing I would do is paint those cabinets. Seriously. You've got sooooo much going for you in this kitchen -- painting the cabs white or another light color is a crazy cheap way to make a dramatic impact on the look and feel of your kitchen. My DH was adamantly opposed to white cabinets until I wore him down by showing him tons and tons of photos of how great white kitchens look. Keep working on your DH! :)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen space. Truly this is a beautiful room.
    If it were my kitchen I would keep everything except
    the counters.

I would search granite yards for inexpensive slabs or
    find a good installer who could help me find the right
    peices. Remnants. I would change the perimeter counter to
    something inexpensive like Ubatuba, Santa Cecelia, Deer
    Brown, Colonial Cream, Peacock...

A contrasting counter stone color for the island.
    Keep those soft curtains you already have.

I would choose this edge shape for all the counters...

and one of these granite colors....

Colonial Cream

Santa Cecilia

New Ventian Gold

Ubatuba

And maybe if I still wanted a tiny bit of zing, I might
    paint the island a white or even soft blue color.

I would paint the ceiling. The ceiling is the 5th wall,
    and painting it a fun color can really change the space.

Let me see...
    Soft white paint for island $40-50
    the counters including edge would be about $3000 or less

looking to see what others chime in to say. I just
    love GW.
    ~boxerpups

• cawaps
    13 years ago

I also really like your kitchen, even (sad though it may be to admit it) the coutertops. For airyness, I was thinking you could replace the doors of the uppers with glass doors. Or replace the uppers to the right of the sink with open shelves. OR, if you can shed enough stuff and have adequate storage elsewhere, get rid of them entirely. Oooh, and put in another window in their place.

• kathec
    13 years ago

I'd keep working on DH to allow you to paint the island. Although with the stong blue wall color, it may be hard to pick a color that goes well together. Maybe a white or creamy paint color. You may also consider putting beadboard on the cabinet sides or triming with simple trim molding to make it stand out a bit from the rest of the cabinets.

An IKEA butchblock stained dark, as others have done on this board, would look great. Or even walnut. I just looked up prices on walnut BB and it's surprisingly reasonable for a small area, around $400. These little updates will have a big impact (like your backsplash), but won't break the bank and should probably be less than 1K. Save your other 1K and start saving towards the perimeter countertops you really love and want to live with for the long haul. I wouldn't change out the sink until you replace the perimeter counters.

Another reasonable fix is putting pendants or a lovely chandelier over your island.

Here's a couple of white islands:

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I started scrolling down and saw the pretty blue, liked it and then curtains, liked them, your backsplash, liked it and then I wondered o.k. must be getting to the problem. Honestly, I think your kitchen is nice as it is. If I were you I would just put the 2K aside and save for granite or some other surface you really love in a little while if that were possible. It really is a nice kitchen and I love your two windows.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Ideas...use or toss as you like!!

Tile countertops
    Wood Floors
    Glazed antique white linen paint on island
    butcherblock on island
    re-cover bar stool fabric

Oh, did I just describe most of MY kitchen LOL!!!

• User
    13 years ago

The number one thing I would suggest for your kitchen to make it "bright and airy" is better lighting. Under cabinet lighting puts the light right where you need on on your work surface. A pendant over the island does the same. Some recessed lighting for the work aisles and some uplighting to accent that tall ceiling will complete the job.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

that's why I suggested a whie marble for the island. then when you have more money you can do the counters in a coordinating granite.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

that's why I suggested a whie marble for the island. then when you have more money you can do the counters in a coordinating granite.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like your kitchen. I think the window treatments and tin backsplash are particularly nice.
    Do not paint your cabs. They are nice as is.
    Your counters could go. I think the bb for the island in a nice dark shade with light gray to white counters (marble, quartzite, etc...) would be perfect for your other elements. The lower cost of the island top will help leave room for the perimeter counters.
    I see a very pale lemon ice color with for your walls. Your cabs are warm but your bs and window treatments are cool. I think a cool pale shade of yellow (not a bright or warm tone) would be the bridge between the elements and would look stylish and cheerful. I am picturing the kind of yellow as a Chambers stove or a yellow and white vintage car with chrome trim. My second choice would be a pale aqua. You'd still have your blue but a cooler, lighter one.

I would classify your current kitchen as more of an "after" than a "before"....

• theresse
    13 years ago

My first impression was that I loved the blue walls and the curtains. So pretty, so charming, so tasteful. My next impression (sorry!) was that I thought your cabinets needed to be lighter and more cheerful for that particular space and for your taste - and frankly I'm so FRUSTRATED with husbands getting to make kitchen decisions!!! I would have them painted cream or white and tell my husband to deal with it. They're fine the way they are though - I just think they'd look even better, painted. You could then do light or darker on the countertop because w/ light-painted cabinets you don't necessarily need a light countertop. I love the idea of butcher block on the island though, or marble. I don't know that i'd do granite anywhere, unless it's the kind that doesn't have spots and speckles in it - I would do a solid color, whatever you do.

If you leave the cabs unpainted (or even if you don't), I agree a light colored countertop would look nice - something cream-colored like caesarstone?:

http://protopsinc.com/caesarstone.html

Marble's nice but I think it's better in smaller doses e.g. an island top or detail somewhere besides an entire countertop. I mean it looks great - don't get me wrong - but it's become SO popular that you would be spending a whole lot of money in return for being not-so-unique (at this point in time anyway)! But maybe I'm over-thinking things for you...sorry again!!! ;)

Where was I? Oh yeah - if you don't paint the cabs, I'd paint the island the same color as the window trim, and put butcher block on the island top (or anything that adds some contrast to the rest of the island while maybe looking nice w/ the cabinets too). Lyptus which is gaining in popularity is great because it's as hard as maple but has a darker color like cherry, is fast-growth, plantation-grown and inexpensive:

http://www.thebutcherblocktop.com/lyedgrco.html

I thought my butcher block choices were limited to cheap Ikea or else expensive places but googling lead me to some more basic lumber stores and that above site which seems pretty decent (granted I didn't look at it long).

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

I love your Kitchen and the blue looks awesome. I agree with Cawaps ... an addition of a window where the upper right cabinets are right now, or open shelving would open up the whole area and give a feeling of extra space and light.

• riverspots
    13 years ago

Another vote for counters, here. I'd check out a few granite places to see what it would cost for a moderately priced stone that would go with the cabinets. Something with a white or cream background with a polished surface. (Gray might be too drab for your room. Dark granite would be dramatic but the room would need lots more lighting to compensate.) Save till you have funds needed. It's worth the wait-the change it makes in the richness of the whole room is amazing.

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

I also really like your kitchen. Would change the counters and backsplash.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

This is just me, but I'd remake the curtains shortening from both the top and the bottom to loose almost 1/2 of their height. Or possibly gather the fabric vertically. It looks like you tried to focus on a section of the material pattern, but they really squash the window height and the windows are already read squat (wide for the height).

The second thing is maybe hang the rod above the window casing so the bottom hem just covers the top casing to give an impression of a taller window. Doing either or both of these will increase the visible window area and correct a proportion.

Altho I agree with the proposals to change the countertop, there's a few potential issues...

If you remove what you have, you'll likely damage the wall and perhaps the ref side panel and/or the backsplash. So be mentally prepared for one or all three. This isn't absolute - sometimes the short backsplash isn't even attached to the wall and sometimes there's tons of construction adhesive. Of course, if you injure the ref side panel, the remedy would be to paint the cabinets :)

You probably won't end up with the magazine look you want because of needing to repeat the 3-4" tall backsplash on the new counter. If you don't get the little backsplash on a new counter, you'll need to redo your current backsplash.

There's kind of an issue with your current cabinet color, future desired cabinet color and a counter color.

If you really like dark or mocha browns, consider that in with your other countertop choices - it would look slick with painted cabinets. On the other hand - the formica colors of cotton or white solidz would work well with the cabinet color, but not so cool with white or cream painted cabinets.

The whiter colors would "lighten" the appearance of the kitchen and the darker ones would ground it. There are light and dark colors in just about every material.

Also, I think counters will go on sale again during the holiday season. Last year, we saw temporary deep discounts in granite, corian and some discounting in quartz, during the time between thanksgiving and early january.

If you paint the cabinets, I'd also pop for a filler for the underneath the over the ref cabinet and an inexpensive version of light rail or some other trim for the bottom of the upper cabinets. Maybe add some trim to the back and sides of the island to create a panel effect.

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

I think your kitchen is very nice! The cabinets are beautiful! If I would change anything it would be the countertops, only because I don't care for the wood trim on them. My sister had wood trim on her cabinets at one time and it made a world of difference when she changed her countertops and did away with the wood trim. I also like kathec's suggestion of painting the island to make it stand out as more of a piece of furniture. Or to save money, my neighbor used laminate countertops but used a granite slab on her island, similar to the picture kathec posted- a laminate with black in it and a black granite island top. It really looks nice. Good Luck! I think your kitchen looks great as is too though!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

While ideally I'd love to see stone on the perimeter counters and another material (like your Ikea butcherblock idea) on the island, swapping them would probably cost a lot less. Ikea butcherblock is so budget-friendly, and the perimeter counters are more square footage. I've just been stone remnant shopping for a vanity, and there are some quite BIG remnants out there at discount prices (even for the more unique exotics, quartzites, and gorgeous marble!): I'm sure you could find a remnant to fit your island.

However, it's not really as practical, IMHO, than stone on the perimeter counters..... so if that's what you'd prefer to do, keep looking for deals on granite. Around here, about this time of year the granite guys start getting a little more desperate. Come January, they all have sales. Right now some are advertising $35/sf installed for a small collection of colors. Where do you live? What's the sf of your perimeter counters?

If you could manage to find a good enough deal on granite for the perimeter, white paint and Ikea butcherblock for the island, and a great light over the island, I think your kitchen will feel sufficently updated for you.... though, like the others, I think it's a pretty nice kitchen the way it is!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

OK, I take it back...I just looked at your photos again... Even though it would be cheaper, I don't think you should consider the wood perimeter counters, UNLESS you plan to paint the cabs, which you don't. But still--- look around for granite deals for the perimeter, and maybe a fabulous remnant for the island top. If you have about 30-35 sf of perimeter counter, and can find a deal like the $35 guys around here (though, it's probably one of those "you get what you pay for" things, and I wouldn't expect anything amazing, just basic) then that's $1000 or so. Spend another $1000 on a bling-y remnant for the island top, and some paint......Could be really WOW. Or, use the same granite everywhere, and have money left over for lighting.

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

I really like your kitchen! But if you want to make it a little more airy, there are a few things I would do.

As much as I like the curtains, they are too heavy for the windows. I would either remove them altogether, or shorten them as someone else suggested.

I like the vase behind the sink, but instead of having the short greenery, I would put something taller in it. Maybe some gerber daisies or an ornimental grass/twig arrangement. It would make your windows appear taller.

I am not crazy about the things on top of the cabinets (no offense - I don't like anything on top of cabinets!). You might consider lighting up there as well as under the cabinets.

You have a very monochromatic look with your cabinets and countertops. I actually think your countertops are fine (I too have laminate with wood trim) but if you want something else, I would do more of a contrast. I would not do butcher block on the perimeter -- too much wood IMO. I have 52 sq ft of countertops and I could not do granite (even the cheap stuff) for under $2K. Santa cecelia and New Venetian Gold are pretty and among the less expensive ones but I am not sure either one would go with the current backsplash. Uba tuba would but that would give you a totally different look....it would look more "rich" instead of "airy" (not that it's bad, just a different look).

I love quartz but I too couldn't do it for under $2K. If you really want quartz or granite, I would wait until I could get what I really want.

I like the barstools but if you want to bring in a punch of color (like the blue), can you cover up the seats with a blue fabric?

As diannalo said, your kitchen is more of an 'after" than a "before". I had the same problem with mine - I had to step back and look and realize mine was not too bad to begin with :) If you didn't change anything right now, I still think you have a lovely kitchen!

• melly17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW! I came to check my thread this morning and I had all sorts of ideas waiting for me! You guys are great!
    I think it's pretty unanimous with everyone that we get new counters. I agree that it would make the biggest difference in the kitchen. I never thought about marble for island but it does sound appealing. I've been considering trying to find a limestone remnant but it sounds too high maintenance to care for. The kitchen is too dark. My husband has electrical experience and I think I could get him to add an island light.
    Is the stuff on the top of the cabinets tacky? Sometimes I think it looks nice and other times I think it looks tacky. I just hate having so much space up there--I just don't know what to do with it...

• rj56
    13 years ago

I too think your kitchen is lovely! I agree with Boxerpups. I think a lighter countertop will be just the touch to enhance what you have. I like the look of painted cabs, but really yours are a nice, timeless shade.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Counters and backsplash are structures, not surface treatments. Before getting into anything at that level, I would consider alternatives.

Men don't like to paint over wood, but they will accept glazing and bleaching that allows the grain to still be visible. You could start by trying a thin coat of see through white glaze around the crown molding. That would lighten it in several ways. You could proceed later on, by putting that glaze in the routered grooves. This is all a very minor step by step approach to see what you like, and what he likes. I'll bet 100 to 1 he won't even notice the physical, but he will say the kitchen is cleaner and brighter than ever and that there is no need to change anything.

Several things draw the eye; it may be best to underplay one or two of them. As curtains, "Roman" blinds attached high on the wall over the windows can give the impression that the windows are larger, and they let you pull the curtain completely away when you want. Above the crown molding, group the things in categories and get light to shine nearby so they enjoy more illumination. Moneyspent on additional lighting is well spent. It makes the space airier, lighter, bigger when light comes from multiple sources. For the counters, some gentle light coming from under the uppers (LED or thin tube fluorescent like T4 or T5) will light the backsplash and counter, without any "structural" work. You may find you don't want to change the counter after all the above are done. Changing the sink? That is another discussion.

HTH

• User
    13 years ago

Lighter and more airy ... more light fixtures.

I like the kitchen! But it doesn't have much in the way of task lighting, and you could use some dimmable LED lights on top of the cabinets too.

• User
    13 years ago

My 2 cents --

I would also love to see the tin come all the way to the countertop to make the backsplash all one material. Not easy, though.

Adding more lighting is right-on.

Can you get more molding to match your cabinets-- take the trim up higher and ditch the display space above the cabs, as this person did?

Here is a link that might be useful: momto4boys kitchen

• melaska
    13 years ago

At first glance I wondered why you weren't happy with that lovely kitchen. You want to trade? I'm too embarrassed to even put up a picture of mine LOL. We're building next Spring so I'm putting all my hope there.

I agree with theresse...WHY do hubby's get so much control over things that only matter to women? Maybe you should do what pugrolls did & wear him down with LOTS of beautiful light cabinet kitchens :)

I've seen a kitchen here that had the inside backs of them painted a light color, I think there was even a small light at the inside top with glass doors. It really made it seem airy & spacious.

I agree about the curtains...they are dark & seem to press down. Lovely fabric, though. I like davidrol's curtain advice.

Is there any way you could paint the tin a light color?

I'd change your glass vases into different heights of clear with nothing or very little in them. Glass really reflects light.

Can you paint the black iron accessories? (napkin holder, etc.)

I know it's probably out of the budget but maybe someday you could consider adding short upper cabinets with inside light & glass doors. I've seen several kitchens with this & it really opens it up plus a great storage solution. Here's a kitchen that illustrates that (I'll post the link below so you can browse):

Making your island a different color seems like a great solution as well.

I think everyone's lighting solutions would do wonders for you.

Good luck in whatever you do & make sure you take lots of pics for us :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Kitchens design gallery

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

"I think it's pretty unanimous with everyone that we get new counters. I agree that it would make the biggest difference in the kitchen."

Definitely try adding lighting *first* before thinking about countertops -- not just over the island but the undercabinet lighting suggested too. The other thing to consider, and I don't know that anyone has asked, is how long you plan to stay in this house. If you'll be in it for a long time, then if you want stone countertops or if you want to do something different to the upper cab tops, it might be worth living with these for a while and saving up for what you really want.

"Is the stuff on the top of the cabinets tacky? Sometimes I think it looks nice and other times I think it looks tacky."

It's *your* kitchen -- do you like it?! You can always change it, or take it down when you don't want and put it back when you do! It's not my own style, but it's not my kitchen either : ), and I think it does go well with the style of the room. It all definitely looks like an "after" kitchen, and the photos are something you'd see on a design blog or in a magazine. It really is a lovely kitchen : ).

Becky

• kathec
    13 years ago

Stuff above the cabinets? I think it's highly personal. Yours looks great, like Christopher Lowell used to call merchandised. I'm one of those people who can't make it work. Mine just ends up looking like a hodge podge, plus I'm short, so getting up there to dust is a real PITA for me.

Here's a suggestion if you want to get rid of that space.
    There's a woman who's kitchen has appeared on numerous blogs and here. She had her cabinets raised to the ceiling and had a functional shelf added underneath. This might work for you if you're looking to add height and drama. You wouldn't necessarily have to go to the ceiling. You could have a 3 or 4 inch gap and trim it out like momto4boy's kitchen linked above.

Here's that kitchen:

• melly17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

janet_425 -- I LOVE the idea of making the crown molding chunkier! That is something that DH and I could do in a few hours. I'm going to head to Home Depot tonight and pick up some under counter lighting. I agree that it would brighten up the space a lot more. We're planning on living in the house for at least 10-15 years so we could certainly wait a bit longer and save our pennies to get a more expensive counter. I'm just not a fan of the wood trim around them and I hate the color but it could always be worse. I like the idea about raising the curtains above the trim to make them look bigger. It would also let more light in during the day because they wouldn't cover the window as much. Faucet: should I try to find a pewter color one to match my hardware or go with a bronze to match my light?

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I forgot to ask, what is your wall color? I love it!

• cienza
    13 years ago

If you do your homework, two grand will go far in this space. I'd start by switching out the window treatments,
    and hardware (knobs & pulls to start, then the knick-knacks). Brighter metal has a great effect on reflection of light; adding 'sparkle'. That brings me to the next suggestion: lighting. Lots of light will give you that 'airey' feel you're looking for. I also agree with the counter - personally, I'd start small to be sure I could make the most changes before the money runs out.

• robin_northcal
    13 years ago

I actually like alot about your kitchen- it seems like a nice space to work in. At least from the pictures the cabinets seem like good quality and I like the layout. I think if you want to brighten things up I love the idea of painting the island a soft white and doing a lighter colored butcherblock such as maple (or if you go the IKEA route they have birch). Then save up for a lighter colored granite for the perimeter.
    Even though I like the curtain fabric is is somewhat dark and something lighter like a cream color might make a difference for just a few bucks:) And again the blue on the walls is beautiful but it does make things feel cooler. I agonized for months over paint color (every time someone came over I would ask their opinion on a new paint chip taped to the wall lol). Even though I love blue and green, they just weren't working with the warm wood toned cabinetry and shelving we have going on. I finally went with a warm- but NOT pink or gold or too grey or too yellow- light khaki color (Parachute Silk by Behr). You'd think beige wouldn't be so difficult!
    Just my two cents based on my own personal taste and opinions, feel free to take it or leave it as you please and good luck with your mini-makeover=)

• melly17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The color is River Rock by Behr.

• misplacedtxgal
    13 years ago

I think you could easily do granite for under $2k. Have you measured to see how many square feet you have? It doesn't look like a whole lot! I, too, would NOT paint those cabinets. They are lovely. The countertops will add so much. The rest you could DIY. I agree that the backsplash might look really cool painted, although you'll need to take to the countertop unless you do a granite backsplash.

Truly, you've got a gem to work with. You should what some of the rest of us are dealing with and still I chose not to paint my cabinets. Just my opinion, but I'm thinking that lovely wood is going to THE thing again soon. Then there are going to be lots of posts about stripping down those painted cabinets! Good luck!!

• rosie
    13 years ago

Late to the party, but, assuming you have adequate storage in the areas not pictured, I'd make an enormous and extremely inexpensive change by pulling down those boxes bolted to the walls, leaving the fridge surround. With them gone, I could be happy enough to let my husband keep his brown lowers, although I do love what white did for those kitchens pictured. Of course, he would put up a new stainless stove hood, carrying on the look started with the backsplash. No need for new counters, painted island, etc. And about that time I'd be back here for ideas on what to do with all that open wall. :)

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I like the kitchen a lot! There isn't anything that screams "change me."

I much prefer the look of white cabinets to wood colored cabinets--but having painted my own cabinets, I would not encourage anyone to paint kitchen cabinets that already looked good. It is a LOT of work. And, for me, the maintenance of painted cabinets is not worth it. In our case, our cabinets looked horrible as is, so the painted cabinets, even with the chipped paint, looks better than the "before."

In your case, your cabinets look great now--some crown molding will only make them look better.

I would change the hardware on the upper cabinets.

Move the window treatment up higher to get the illusion of larger windows and to get more light in--I really like them.

And for me, I would change the floor before the countertops--but that is personal preference--both are fine. So if you really hate the counters--change them. But, I think they are just fine.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

You've had an outpouring of beautiful, creative ideas for your kitchen. But truly, your kitchen looks great just as it is. I don't think that you need to do a thing. Your cabinets look great. And you have great taste in all the details.

• windy22
    13 years ago

Find a slab yard that does remnants of granite for your island. Have them add the measurements for an overhang. It is a one piece, inexpensive, easy replacement that can be the focal point of your already beautiful kitchen. I got mine for under $500.

• baileyandbella
    13 years ago

Very nice!

If you are looking to lighten it up, I would paint the walls and backsplash white or a creamy white.

• growlery
    13 years ago

I think you have done a beautiful job. You are obviously not a lost design soul!

For 2k, I wouldn't try to do a lot of little things, or the quality of each will suffer. It is also an issue of focus.

I think you had it right with the counters. If you like granite, that's great, as others have said, maybe a marble remnant for the island. But even a plain laminate would be an improvement. It's become too much now that you have the textures of the tin backsplash and the curtains, which are nicer.

I would also consider lighting. Not just "more" but considering the overall lighting scheme and the quality of light.

Having all the light way overhead means you make big, harsh cones of light. So when you lean your head over, you cast a shadow, like an eclipse. Then people say "This kitchen is so dark, I can't see anything!" and keep upping the wattage, til they come on here asking where to find 200 watt bulbs, when it's really because they're blocking the light with their own heads!

Too much overhead light also really unflattering -- it casts shadows in peoples eye sockets and makes tiny shadows out of every wrinkle. I'm serious! So having light at different levels is the way to go. You might try this right now by plugging in a lamp (somewhere away from the stove or sink) and see if that improves things. Then I would suggest a pendant in the place of the can you have over the island, to bring the light down to a more human level.

But what you've done already is really beautiful.

• windy22
    13 years ago

The tin backsplash is a little heavy. You could replace that with a white subway tile for a few hundred dollars to really brighten up the room!

• Sharon kilber
    13 years ago

How about granite tiles? If you, cannot afford a slab, at this time. Put close together they look like a slab. I, would put a new back splash up. Take down the curtain, put up a new light. Your cabinets are very nice. I, would not paint them. Some glass in the upper cabinets doors, would look nice. You, could also change the hardware. I, think you, have a very nice kitchen, now. But change is always nice.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

What a nice kitchen - there is a lot going for it! I think a few of the finishes are fighting each other a bit and if the color scheme was simplified, the room would feel a lot brighter and airier.

I totally love the wall color but not for this room. I think it is too much contrast with the cabs and chops up the space. (I also think the coolness of the blue seems off with the warm counters and cabs.) I would go with a creamy white (or creamy cream :-), which would warm up the room, blend more with the cabs and not visually fight the counters. Color selection will be tough because of the floor, but I think all the pain will be worth it ;-)

I would also paint that gorgeous tin backsplash the same color as the walls - again to minimize the number of finishes going on. It would also let your SS appliances shine and not compete with them. I would go with simple, nubby white linen curtains or roman shades mounted higher above the windows as others have suggested. And I would paint the island, that seems a reasonable compromise with DH. New counters would be nice, but I think they could wait. I am not one that likes things above the cabs, but I think your displays look nice. My only suggestion would be maybe fewer items but bigger items - but again, I think it looks nice.

As others have said, your kitchen is really great as is, so enjoy any changes you make!

• lke2decor
    13 years ago

What is the blue wall color you used? I really like it? Love your kitchden. It shows what you can work with. I think the hardware, window treatments and lighting fixtures really modernize the space. There are always things we can do better if money allows, however, if there is a budget involved I would probably just upgrade the counters. I really like the blue though. You could pick some awesome light granite with gray veining to pick up the silver in backsplash and the grays in the window treatment. White or a french gray island would work also. You could also do glass cabinets on top of and around the microwave. Would the glass add another visual component that might compete with the current decor?

• aloha2009
    13 years ago

The sink seems to be a major focal point of the room but it falls just a bit flat. Move the "weight" off the windows with something sleek and minimal. Replace the light with something spectacular that you love. Include a dimmer switch so you can change the moood of the room. Your kitchen really does look great though, I was expecting to see something pretty rough. It will be fun to see what you end up doing. Good luck.