SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Reno_Fans 2nd kitchen remodel DONE: White cabs w/ black and gold

reno_fan
16 years ago

Still need to replace the ugly old compactor, but I'm calling it DONE!

This remodel was a lot different than our first, because we actually saved/used the existing layout and cabinetry, but just tweaked a few things. It's harder doing it this way!!! Several times I was tempted to just rip everything out and start over, but I felt a challenge to try to revive this tired kitchen while keeping the bones intact. It really does have a great layout.

A few "Serial Remodeler" observations:

-I love gas. Had a smoothtop range in the last remodel, and I love the gas SO much more.

-Love having adequate ventilation. DH kicked and yelled about the cost/hassle of changing the cooktop to a range, and the downdraft to proper upward ventilation. He was stunned silent the first time I cooked bacon and sausage, and he didn't even realize it until he came into the kitchen. No more lingering odors!

-Love the granite farm sink. It was not planned, but I found a good deal on it. I don't know if I could ever have any other kind of sink. I LOVE this sink.

-My last kitchen was done with a lot more attention to aesthetics. This kitchen was done for FUNCTION. I love cooking in this kitchen, and grew to hate cooking in the last one b/c of poor layout, poor ventilation, etc.

-LOVE LOVE LOVE having walls in my kitchen. My last remodel was an "Open Plan", but this kitchen has doors that can be closed off, or can be opened to the living room. I keep them closed almost all the time. I love the separation, and being able to really get into a messy cooking session.

-Second time around, I find I'm FAR less concerned with imperfections. My granite seam is awful, and the granite job in and of itself is bad. But it's not a showroom, it's a kitchen. It looks pretty okay, and it cooks great, so I don't even mind the imperfections. I cared ALOT more with the first remodel. (Kind of like having multiple kids, I guess; you get really uptight with the first one, then relax more and more with each other kid.)

This is not one of the fancier kitchens on GWeb, but I like it, and I'm glad to be DONE!

And here are some of the progress shots:

Before:

{{gwi:1618482}}

After:

Before:

{{gwi:1951283}}

After:

{{gwi:1648166}}

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

{{gwi:1648164}}

And just a few random shots:

Cell phone charging/check writing station, with dog food storage and recycling storage underneath:

Here is a link that might be useful: Before and after album-lots of closeups.

Comments (42)