SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsarerathersilly

Should we replace these cabients, and is there a way to save them

We bought new modular home about seven years ago and now we're looking to move. We know we need to change the countertops and backsplash in the kitchen, but we're unsure if it's necessary to replace the cabinets. They look and function fine except for some cosmetic damage. The damage is due to the fact that the cabinets are made from partical board (or some other partical board type thing) with a plasticy-paper substance glued onto them. The doors are real oak wood. Before we realized it was damaging the cabinets, we cooked things such as rice in the rice cooker on the counter under the cabinets (think steam). When the paper started peeling and the bottoms of the cabinets started to expand we realized what was happening and started to cook steaming food only on our penninsula and island. Unfortunatly some damage was already done, and we don't know of any way to save the cabinets. We plan to get a local realtor's opinion, but until then I'd like to know all of yours! Should we ditch these cabinets and buy new, or try to save these (or keep as-is)?

This is the worst one that's the most noticable.

Here you can see some of the damage done to the bottom of the cabinets.

More damage done to the bottom of a cabinet. This is over the dish drainer, so I don't know if it was done by the rice cooker or the drying dishes.

More damage to the cabinet above.

This is where the trash can rubbed against the side. We're thinking of putting a new end panel on the side to freshen it up, but we're open to suggestions.

We don't know if these detract from the cabinets. They're strips that are found on the corners. Are they bad for resale, or tolarable?

And finally, a picture of the first cabinet, to show you that they aren't all bad! To the left is the electric range. You can see the damage mentioned in the first picture between the two left knobs.

Suggestions and opinions welcome!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention something. You can see in the first picture one of the doors is a little higher than the other. Well, that's not a camera trick; the doors on the cabinets don't all line up properly.

Comments (37)