SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitsch_en

Thoughts on kitchen/addition floorplan

Kitsch-en
12 years ago

I'm a long time Kitchen forums reader and am finally getting to the point where I have some concrete plans for our own kitchen renovations. Any thoughts you might have on layout would be much appreciated. I'm attaching the current plan below.

BACKGROUND:

Our house is from 1915. The existing kitchen has been done over poorly in the past ten years, so there's no much character to save in it. It's going to become the breakfast nook/pantry area. We'll have a built in table and a large pantry cupboard there. The basement stairs enter that room and it is under the staircase to the second floor, so there are floor/entry and ceiling areas that make it difficult to incorporate as part of a new kitchen space. The table/pantry configuration let us work around those problems.

Everything on these plans will be new construction. The back wall of our current house is pretty much the top line of the drawings. In addition to a nicer kitchen, we need storage and entry space. Our front door enters right into our living room and our coat closet is miniscule. Between kids and dogs, we need an entry/closet area. I want it to be separate from the kitchen. That's what is driving the location of the peninsula rather than an island. I don't want to look at the clutter while I cook.

The addition sets back slightly from the old house on the right side of the drawing. The house as it exists now doesn't conform to current zoning. It is fine, but we can't build all the way out to that same line without a variance.

I cook regularly. I'm not much of a baker, so no need for special baking stations.

MY CONCERNS:

The wall to the right of the drawing, from the outside, is going to be a long blank wall facing our neighbors. I'd love to fit in a second window, but am not sure how to do it. Our architects initially had the fridge all the way in the corner by the breakfast nook. That allowed two windows on the wall. We vetoed that because we thought that was too long from the refrigerator to the sink.

Also, we're adding a pretty good sized addition and still don't really have an eat-in kitchen. I think this scheme will work for us, we'll probably still eat mostly in our dining room and the nook will be between the kitchen and playroom which makes it good for snacks/homework. But I have a lingering concern if we ever have to sell that this won't appeal to everyone.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (27)