SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grannysmith18

Please, please need help before it's too late

grannysmith18
15 years ago

This is the layout of my island. This was the one thing I didn't really focus on in the planning stage, and now I see that, even allowing an inch or so of granite overhang (I'll only have about 3/4 inch everywhere else) I will only have 10 inches of knee room in the seating area.

I really want a minimum of 12 inches. But my KD is being really casual about the whole thing, saying it's not a big deal & we'll just have an additional inch of granite overhang, and 11 inches is plenty. And if I really want 12, we can have 3 inches of overhang.

In the meantime I'm so annoyed. If I am going to have the additional overhang, it would have bee nice to use that space and have the drawers to the right of the seating area wider. Ten and a half inches isn't all that wide for drawers. And, I think it'll look bad to have the granite on this one side have an overhang of 3 inches (over the drawer and seating area)when the entire kitchen has only 3/4 of an inch everywhere else.

So my dilemma is that the island has already been built. Everything's done, including the drawer fronts & side panels. Only thing not yet made are the drawers. Should I bite the bullet and pay to have the island rebuilt?? I have no idea how much the cabinetmaker (who - to make things exciting for me - is in Yugoslavia this week & only his workers are there) charge.

I've had so many stupid little squabbles with the KD about money already - we're like a bickering old married couple - that I would just pay for it myself. Is it worth it? Maybe I could live with 2 inches of overhang to give me 11 inches of room.

What do you think?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling