SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msbrandywinevalley

Will painted cabinets hold up as well as natural or stained wood?

msbrandywinevalley
10 years ago

I'm at that critical point in my kitchen remodel project where I have to choose materials. As the result of a 20-year old addition, my kitchen is in the center of an open floor plan and has no windows. To clarify, my kitchen consists primarily of two parallel peninsulas, neither of which has wall cabinets and both of which are open to other areas which DO have windows. The floors are oak. The present "footprint" works very well, so we're keeping it with minor modifications, but we're updating from the laminate that was installed in the 80's.

I love the look of natural cherry, but I'm afraid that in time it will be too dark for the area. I also really love the idea of white or off-white painted cabinets, but I've been told that painted cabinets, even those that are custom made, just won't hold up as well as stained or natural wood -- that 5 or 10 years from now, they'll look grungy and chipped, whereas wood cabinets will come back to life every time they're cleaned and polished.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's lived with painted custom-made cabinets for 5 or more years. If you were to re-do your kitchen today, would you still choose painted cabinets? What problems, if any, have you had with your painted cabinets and how did you resolve them?

HELP!!!! I have a week to make my decision. Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts