SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlynn17_gw

Finished! I love my white, marble, wood kitchen!

jlynn17
13 years ago

Finally, it is done! We have been out of the house for nearly 8 months for a home renovation. So happy to be back in and love the results. Thank you all for your help on this site. I didn't post much but I was on the site a lot and the discussions and pics really helped with my decisions. I did everything I was told not to do: white marble, wood, polished nickel, etc. But I wouldn't change a thing. Sure I wish the marble didn't etch (yes, plenty of etching but as of yet, no stains) but it is still beautiful and I wouldn't have been as happy with any other stone I was considering. My theory: if it makes you happy, go for it!

Here are pics and the details:

Perimeter Counters: Calcatta Gold

Island top: Black Walnut with vintage walnut stain

Cabinets: Custom

Paint on cabinets/trim: BM Swiss Coffee (color tweaked by paint store)

Wall color: Pratt and Lambert Pearl

Wolf 48" Range with double griddle (love this!)

SubZero s/s 48" Fridge with icemaker

Sharp microwave drawer

Bosch D/W (we have 2 and it was a great decision if considering this)

GE Monogram hood blower

GE wine cooler

Perrin and Rowe Faucet - PN

Shaw Farm Sink 30 x 18

Pantry: custom built

Paint on Pantry: Farrow and Ball Pigeon

Hardware on Pantry: Restoration Hardware Felicity in Antique brass

Kitchen Hardware: Restoration Hardware Aubrey Knobs - PN

Restoration Hardware Bistro Pulls - PN

Rejuvenation small latch - PN

Backsplash: Arctic white Daltile with platinum grout

Bell Jars - JV Imports - 11"D with bronze finish

Bar Stools: Crate and Barrel Pullman Leather Counter Stools

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I will get pics up of laundry and bathrooms soon too!

Comments (60)

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Beautiful--I love your teal vases over the wine fridge too!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Simply gorgeous. You may have done things that you were told not to, but in reality, you did everything right!

• Related Discussions

Am I crazy to have my marble in my kitchen..by my cooktop?

Q

Comments (25)
    Had gorgeous Carrara marble in our last house for several years with our two year old, lived normally with them and didn’t baby them, and they still looked dreamy and gorgeous when we sold the house. Everyone loved the counters. So did I. You’ll even run your hand down them and they feel velvety soft, cool, expensive even though they’re not, and just downright perfect.
    ...See More

finished white/marble kitchen!!!! -pic heavy

Q

Comments (65)
    dandylandy . Honestly I never really priced 1.25 inch carrara marble.. I priced 2 inch from all different types of marbles. I can tell you that if you dont use the carrara and go with another type of marble ( such as danby, calcutta, stauary) it was double the price. For me the upcharge was if i purchased through who my cabinet people referred me to, they were giving themselves a large kickback of about 2,000. I went direct through a recommendation of a family in my town of a home that had 8 stone bathrooms and probably a 200,000 dollar kitchen done by a particular stone guy who I highly recommend now too... because..... most 2 inch slabs or marble are typically smaller then the 1.25 ones. For my kitchen I needed just a tad more then 1 slab. Everyone I priced insisted my only option was to buy two slabs. The awesome guy I worked with told me hang on and lets wait and search and eventually we will find a slab that is just slightly larger and sure enough we did... that saved me thousands! He did an awesome job with making sure any flaws in the marble were not visible when he did my cut outs. If it helps you since I dont know the price of 1.25 carrara, I paid 4000.00 for my 2inch carrara marble, I can look up the measurements if it would really help. At one point I wanted danby so I was willing to goto 1.25 inches.. but it was still about 2,000 more then the 2 inch carrara and I am glad I went with the thicker carrara, I LOVE IT.. If you would like a referral for my stone guy please let me know
    ...See More

I Finished my White Zen Kitchen!

Q

Comments (151)
    OH I didn't realize this was from last year, glad it resurfaced! You mentioned the cabinet paint...can you please tell me were the cabs were painted elsewhere before install or painted in place? What type of wood are they? I'm in San Diego and there is no consensus on either. Actually white cabs aren't popular at all here and I WANT THEM this time for sure! Is that a full depth fridge with deeper cabs around it? Last but not least, how's that white holding up a year later? Thanks.
    ...See More

Our new house is finished! My white kitchen...

Q

Comments (112)
    Nini - on your first post, you said you'd do a separate post about honed and polished marble. Pros and cons to both. Have you done that and if not, would you do one or send me an email. We have chosen statuetto white marble for our island and I plan to go with honed (after testing polished). I'd like to hear your experiences. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • jlynn17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words! We are really enjoying the kitchen.

breezygirl: The island is 5'x8'. I did not plan for it to be that big originally. We changed the layout of the kitchen many times and the bar area was supposed to be a banquette but then we opened the wall from the kitchen to the dining room and made that our breakfast area. The living room has become the dining room. That has really enlarged the space. I think the island got bigger based on the scale of the rest of the kitchen. It is great and we entertain a lot so I am very happy with it.

brittu: The pendants are by JV Imports. I ordered them online. They are 1057-08. See the link below.

I do love my windows! They let in so much light! I am always in the kitchen and with 3 kids they usually are too, or I can look out the window and check on them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bell Jars

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Very classy!! Timeless!! Ditto what has been said. My favorite is that expanse of windows on the sink wall. Enjoy your space.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Ohhhhhh.....

Sink wall/windows/sink wall/windows/sink wall/windows!!!! Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm happy you're happy, jlynn : ).

Becky

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Very light and bright. Love how your warmed things up with the black walnut.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Along with everyone else, I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN! I am doing many things similar to yours. The current plan for windows over the sink is an 8 foot opening, bumped out 6 inches. The framer said I should have casement so I can reach to open them, but after seeing yours I am sticking to my guns and getting double hung with grills! What is the width of the entire opening? It will give me an idea of what mine will look like. Is yours bumped out?
    Great job- it is beautiful!!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Gorgeous - so light and inviting. I love your marble (wish I was brave enough), floors and lights. Enjoy!

• plumberry
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! I love all the decor. very nice. congrats!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Excellent! So fancy! LOVE your hutch--the blue pieces, the mirror. Is it tiled behind the blue vases or painted? Would love to know ;) Enjoy!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Oh my, I don't know where to start!!!!!!!!
    The bank of windows is making me drool and so is the marble. I love all the thoughtful detail that went into your kitchen, the paint colors, the hardware, that wood top, your painted pantry. It's just gorgeous and so bright and spacious! I love it and I know you must be enjoying it! Congrats!

• kaysd
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous, classic kitchen! I love the "pop" of the blue vases in your cabinets. Is that wallpaper behind them?

• francoise47
    13 years ago

I love it too! The windows! The marble! The wood! The painted pantry! And, your kitchen provides a great example of how non-inset cabinets can look just as fabulous and traditional as inset.

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

STUNNING, AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS! Love everything about it!!

How tall are your ceilings and where did you get your lighting? Can't wait to see your baths and laundry (other rooms would be great too!)

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

I am swooooooning over your windows! *big dreamy sigh*

• phoggie
    13 years ago

I don't know what I could add....but your kitchen is WONDERFUL....I hope you enjoy it for many, many years to to come.

• stevie_2010
    13 years ago

Fabulous!

Where did you find that clock. I need one just like it!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

No wonder you are happy!!! It's beautiful!!! Enjoy!!!

• mikomum
    13 years ago

beautiful! I have to admit the windows are my favorite part!!!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous, light and airy and classic work space!! Congrats and enjoy!!

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

Definitely one of the prettiest kitchens I've seen! Don't know what else to say. It's awesome!

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

I echo all the other sentiments on here - absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy!

• sochi
    13 years ago

Really lovely - I love how bright it is - what I wouldn't give to have that many windows in my kitchen. Congratulations!

• suzluvsflowers
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!! Love the island, the windows, the marble, everything! Great job!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!! I love your walnut topped island. I can't even imagine having those wonderful windows. Picture perfect!

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Love it!

• drybean
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! You did a fantastic job. Very easy to see why you love it.

• niffy
    13 years ago

Ooh this is SO right up my alley! Love it! The marble, the wood top, the layout. The windows are just beautiful - they make me want to rip out my uppers and dish cab and just add glass. Lovely kitchen.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Very nice. I like the F&B Pigeon color on the pantry.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Nice, nice, nice!!!!!!!!!!

• muskokascp
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Love the white and marble,windows like those are such a luxury !

With your island I see you 2 have cabinets on the end without stools - what is the overhang for the stools?

Would you mind sharing some dimensions as I am trying to understand the scale (for purely selfish reasons of trying to visualize the scale in my kithcen reno). How far is it from your island to the pantry? What is the length of the main run - fridge to corner and how many feet of gorgeous windows (10'?)

Bravo for using marble - I have flipped flopped all over the place because the marble makes me sing but the etching scares me. I think I have finally agreed (with myself) to go with the marble and love all the imperfections that may arise. Like you my marble will be on a counter with a long run of windows and my fear was that all that natural light would always be highlighting the etches. How are you finding it ?

Love the size of your island - a large island looks at home in a lge open space!!

Share some more !

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

So lovely! What a wonderful sweep of windows. So beautiful and open. And I love that passthrough, your hood, and walnut counters. Light and warm at the same time.

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning!!! Love how classic it is! My favorite part is your beautiful wall of windows across from your island!!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! The windows and countertops are just amazing. My own favorite part is the "hutch" area with the wine fridge. I would totally love to have something like that.

• jlynn17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the compliments. I have enjoyed sharing my kitchen with you!

joan 2121: The windows are bumped out about 7" and the total length is 12". I do love the double hung windows there vs casement. Sounds like yours will be very similar to mine. Enjoy!

sabjimata and kaysd: The wall behind the vases is painted the same color as the cabinets. The picture is somewhat distorted because the glass that they are behind has texture to it rather than plain glass. I can't remember what the glass is called.

francoise47: I really wanted inset cabinets in the beginning. After interviewing and choosing our cabinet maker, we ended up choosing a guy who primarily makes full overlay. I had a hard time giving up the inset but after seeing some of his work, I felt comfortable they would look great. And I am very happy with the final product.

tinker 2006: My ceilings are 9'. The chandelier was from a local lighting shop a few years ago and don't recall the brand. The bell jars are by JV Imports. See the link below.

stevie 2010: I have had the clock for a while and I think it may be from Target. I would like to get one that is bigger for that space. I think they have them at World Market and at Ballard Designs.

muskokascp: The island has cabinets on one end and stools on the other. The side overhang is 15" and the long side overhang is 14". I thought it was all 15" and I think that is often recommended. 14" does not feel crowded though. Island to pantry is 10'. The length of the kitchen from fridge to range wall is 23". I definitely don't have the typical work triangle going on and I was worried that everything would be too far from each other. However it has worked out fine. I have all my cooking/baking items in cabinets and drawers near the range and keep bread and cereals near the fridge or in the island. So I haven't felt like it was a problem with the space between everything. We changed the layout of the kitchen MANY times and at one time the pantry was next to the bar area but I just didn't like the design of that space as much so decided to make it a stand along hutch like piece. I LOVE my marble. It bothers me when there are new etchings but honestly you really have to look at the marble at an angle to see them so most people would never notice. You will know it is there, but in the big picture, it is still so beautiful. If it makes your heart sing, you need to have it!

Here is a link that might be useful: bell jars

• rj56
    13 years ago

Breathtaking! Love everything. How did you treat your walnut countertop?

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

jlynn, CONGRATULATIONS, Beautiful Kitchen, great choices, love the Walnut & Marble - love it all! We are considering another Fireclay Farm Sink in our new Kitchen. Our Villeroy & Boch by Franke is not being made anymore, so will you please share your source for the SHAW Fireclay Farm Sink? And the price range for the SHAW, really appreciate your help, Thank You so much. Did you say, was this Carrera Marble? roseofblue

• breakfast
    13 years ago

Love the mirror backsplash. Did you order special mirror glass from a glass company? I am hoping to go this route and not sure where to start.

• jlynn17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jilljohn: The walnut countertop is not used for chopping so it has a polyurethane finish on it to protect it. I just wipe it down with warm water to clean it. I suspect I will need to reseal at some time though.

roseofblue: We purchased our Shaw sink from a local vendor, Ferguson's Bath. Many vendors offer a contractor discount, so I would expect that for the 30x18 sink you would pay $900-$1300. The marble is Calcatta Gold. I love it! It is a purer white than Carrera, which we had considered originally but had trouble finding a slab that was not too grey.

breakfast: (love your name!) Yes, the mirror backsplash was installed by a glass and mirror company. Since we were doing a whole house reno and were having frameless mirrors installed in our kid's bath, our contractor had them install the mirror here as well.

• slojo1
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen

I have some questions about the Shaw sink install. Is the drain on the left or right and is the Shaw label facing you or away from you when looking at the sink?

Thanks

• mary_in_nc
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Nice job hiding the DW. The one thing that drives me crazy is looking a beautiful high end kitchens that are going for a "furniture" look and they have the stainless steel DW rather than hiding it with a cabinet face piece. Especially when you have the beautiful Shaw sink. The eye is drawn to the sink rather than a big piece of stainless steel. There is much beauty in simplicity. Congratulations!

• mary_in_nc
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Nice job hiding the DW. The one thing that drives me crazy is looking a beautiful high end kitchens that are going for a "furniture" look and they have the stainless steel DW rather than hiding it with a cabinet face piece. Especially when you have the beautiful Shaw sink. The eye is drawn to the sink rather than a big piece of stainless steel. There is much beauty in simplicity. Congratulations!

• jlynn17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Shaw sink is installed so the drain is to the left and the Shaw label is facing you. Love the sink! Love the size and it is pretty to look at. Water does collect on the right side so you need to wipe it out but not a big deal. Still loving my kitchen! :)

• drmom2
    13 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! Do you happen to live in Houston? We just went to look at marble today and really liked the calacatta sunrise from Arizona Tile. If you do live in Houston- where else did you look for marble? Are you happy with your decision as far as upkeep, etc.? Thanks!!

• midwifekim
    13 years ago

really, really beautiful. and those windows, WOW! this is the kitchen i would have if my home were traditional. no question! enjoy it fully!

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Its all so beautiful. I am jealous of your window expanse and it adds to the beauty of the space.

Would you mind telling me what your chandelier is?

Thanks

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

Hello again, Your lovely kitchen is one of the wonderful inspirations for our new design! We did have a very similar look in our last home, thought we might change the look but ultimately we will be keeping most of these elements. Once again, the cabinets will be wood in our custom white. But instead of Esmeralda Green granite we may use Statuary White Marble. Please share with us - is your Marble - polished or honed?
    Your Walnut Island is a remarkable addition, just love this with the white cabinets and the marble! The chairs look very comfy, are these leather? Is your floor Walnut or Oak and what is the finish on the floor, how do you care for it? Is it hardwood or engineered, we are still selecting our floor? Does all of the house have this hardwood?
    The windows and the whole kitchen are truly luxurious! May we ask how many square feet is your home and how old is your house? Would you describe your house as a classic brick or is it wood shingle or stone? Ours is an old classic, deep red brick with white wood trim and porch. A few more inspirational pictures please!
    We will all be pleased to see your bathrooms - are they in the same beautiful, classic theme as the kitchen? What color and kind of tile and cabinets were selected for the bathrooms? Our white wood cabinets are finally being built and we purchased the electric Wolf cooktop and oven, like we had in our last kitchen (prefer electric). The Farmhouse sink will be the 30 x 18 white fireclay, Thank you for all of the ideas and pictures! Roseofblue

• jlynn17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

drmom2: I don't live in the Houston area. I am in NC. My best advice to you is to look at several different granite/marble yards. Our marble is calcatta gold and it varied so much from place to place but when my husband and I found this one, we knew it was the one. We both loved it right away. All the things you have read about marble in the kitchen are likely true. Our marble is polished and the only problem we have had is with etching. The way I understand it, you will have little risk of etching with honed marble but you may be more prone to stains. I believe the polish helps protect it to some degree. However, we did get a coffee stain but I made a poltice that lifted it right off, so I was very happy. Despite the etching, I love the marble and I would do it again!

irishcreamgirl: I am afraid I do not recall the info on the chandelier over the table. We bought it many years ago at a local lighting store which is now closed. It may be by Seagull lighting but I am not sure. Sorry I am not more help!

roseofblue: Thanks for all the compliments! My marble is polished. See above for comments on that. I do love it and thought originally that I would go with honed as that seemed to be the recommendation on this site. However, the marble was polished in the store and I loved it that way so just couldn't hone it. I knew I would be at greater risk of etching. And there is plenty of it but I still love it. You really have to look at the marble at an angle to see the etching and most people would never see it. The stools are leather and very comfortable. They are the Pullman stool by Crate & Barrel. The floor is oak hardwood and the stain is Jacobean. We previously had Provential and I felt that was too light. I am happy with this stain. We do have hardwoods throughout the house except for carpet in one room (and tile in various places). The floor is easy to care for. We have a dust mop to "sweep" it and then use Bona for cleaning. Or sometimes just warm water in areas. The house is about 45 years old. It was a classic brick ranch but during our recent renovation we added a second floor. We went from 3300 sq. ft. to 4800 sq. ft.
    {{!gwi}}
    You can see pics and info about my master and powder bathrooms on the bathrooms forum. My laundry room is posted on the laundry forum. Just search jlynn17 on the forum and you will find them. Good luck with your kitchen and let me know if you have any other questions!

• babs711
    12 years ago

jlynn,

Can I ask where I can see your photos now? They seem to have disappeared and I'd saved them for inspiration for our upcoming kitchen. Thank you!!

• erinrenee1
    7 years ago

Your pics are no longer available on this discussion, can you please repost or send them to me? I'm dying to see them, as we have very similar tastes and I'm planning out my new kitchen now. Thank so much!!!