SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

When does conservation trump taste?

13 years ago

I am looking at houses, because I want to get out of a homeowner's association/condominium environment.

One would think, in this market, I would be able to "pass" on houses where I did not like a major element like a kitchen or bath. However, I have some unusual restrictions:

1)I do not have a car, and I work in four different places. I live in an ideal location for walking to the various methods of transportation I need to get to work (up to 22 miles away). I am also close to several good grocery stores--not common in my city. While the suburban radius of interest when houusehunting may be X miles mine is X blocks.

2) The average house price is a couple hundred thousand over what I would like to spend. I could qualify, but thats not the plan.

So, I am looking at a couple rarities in my neighborhood. Houses that meet a lot of my criteria, and are not excessively above what I originally intended on spending (which I am am finding is unrealistic). I was finding that houses at that price point needed *so much work, they would barely be habitable, or they were a cheap flip where I would want to tear out entirely new work.

One of the contenders has had one owner in 30 years. It needs work, but its all original. There is nothing I couldnt live with other than paint colors at least for a while. I looked at one of these houses maybe ten years ago, and hated them. However, since then I have gotten a design degree and I understand what a bit of work can do.

The second contender is a neighbor to the house I just ended a contract on (I had a contingency and the sellers could accept other offers--and they did). It is bigger than the house I had offered on (and $100K more), but needs less immediate work. However, it has a new bathroom (one of 2.5) that I HATE. And a bunch of totally inappropriate light fixtures that were installed in order to stage the house--it is obviously staged, it must be an estate.

I could probably sell off the fixtures I do not like, but I feel really guilty about wanting to demolish a brand new bathroom. I have only seen pictures, so there may actually be a way to re-renovated some of the existing, but my experience is that real life is usually worse than the pictures.

Comments (21)