SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

Tiling backsplash BEFORE cabinets/counter are in?

melissastar
13 years ago

The guy who my GC has doing all the carpentry/drywall/ flooring/tile work for my kitchen remodel says he intends to put the backsplash in without waiting for the cabinets to be finished and installed. THis job has dragged on forever and apparently he fears that the cabinets will take months more. He wants the job over with (and I don't blame him, so do I) and is concerned that if it remains an open ticket, he'll be called shortly before the holidays with an order to rush to get it done.

He SAYS, it's not a problem to do it first, because the tile HAS to run on an absolutely level line and any adjustments for an uneven floor, for example, have to made in the cabinet installation. And as I intend to have soapstone counters that butt right up against the tile, it will need a silicone caulking between the two anyway, filling any slight gap.

I like him and trust his work. But I am worried about this plan. Should I insist to the GC that the tile not go up until after cabinets are in, recognizing that we might need to find another tile guy to do it then and it might cost more or not be done as well? Or should I say OK, but make it clear that they are responsible for the quality of the job and will have to fix anything that comes up?

Comments (9)