SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Marble questions

lalithar
11 years ago

I am trying to figure out marble varieties that are more suited for kitchen use. We are thinking to use it on a table that will be the main table for eating. Please help me do the homework and try out a few samples to persuade DH :)

I like white marbles with defined viening. Some of the carrera etc.. seem more grey and too busy with lots of specs of grey. Is there a link someone has that shows marble varieties. Is there a hardness level etc. for marbles similar to soapstone that makes some types more suited for kitchens and resists stains? I can live with the etching but stains are my biggest worry. Especially with red wine, curry, soy sauce, etc..

One thing I took away from reading other threads is that honed is way better for stain resistance than polished (even though most of the onlibe sites recommend polished.) Do I have to look for honed marble or get them to hone a polished slab. I am not sure if there are stone shops in SF bay area who stock a lot of honed marble.

I see that most people recommend getting it sealed at the fabricator and do it a few more times. Do the sealers still keep the surface food safe? Can I roll pastry on a marble table that is sealed with somethin like 511 sealer (this was the type recommended in some posts). Any recommended products?

Lalitha

Comments (6)