SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

A day late & a calacutta quartzite slab short (countertop woes)

wishiwasinoz
9 years ago

We are getting to the home stretch with our new home (est. move-in date of mid-Nov.). The pressure is severely on to pick our countertops. All along, we've wanted Calacutta Macaubus Quartzite. I've been looking for 8 months now for the right slabs. My search has now moved far out of state. Nothing seems to be available. I was told the quarry is at the end of the line & the stuff coming out now is ugly. There are two available slabs that are appealing to me, but the fabricator cannot figure out how to get 2 slabs to work for our whole kitchen. They are slightly short & need that 3rd slab. What can we do? Do we use this slab for our island & go with something with less movement on the perimeter? Is so, what would be a complimentary stone? Do we use this stone for the perimeter & do a walnut island (this is where the prep sink will go - I think that will be a bad idea down the line). The cabinets are SW Alabaster, a creamy white.

Do I give up & go with marble, knowing I will be hard on it?

Thank you so much for any assistance. This kitchen is keeping me awake at night. I feel like is is all-consuming. I want to pick something & move on.

Comments (54)