SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
many_hats

Granite is cracked at my undermount sink!

many_hats
16 years ago

Our New Venetian Gold granite was installed in July by a shop who came highly recommended.

Our backsplash was just installed & grouted and we noticed a crack at the back of the undermount sink--from the wall to the edge of the sink which is a piece of granite 2 3/4 inches wide. (While getting the quote, I had given the granite guy the specs of the prospective sink & faucet as well as the cabinet depth and I changed to a smaller sink than I had originally wanted based on his advice so I am hoping this is not the issue.) The crack is right along the edge of a 1 inch cluster of garnets and we figure we didn't notice it until the grout residue settled into the crack and then showed up white. I gently removed the residue and the crack is now barely visible. But it is definitely through the entire 3 cm thickness of granite as I can feel it with my fingernail.

What's working in our favor is that we haven't paid for any of the granite yet ($6000 job). But......is there a way to not have to replace the granite that is acceptable? And, if so, how much of a price reduction would be reasonable? I felt sick when I saw it but am now really hoping that it doesn't mean that the entire piece has to be replaced as that would be a daunting job--to match it for one...and especially now that our backsplash is done. Can extra support be put under the sink and somehow the crack be sealed? (There was apparantly adequate support for the granite when the cabinets were installed and everything was level.)

Backing up a bit.........right after the install we noticed a crack about 7 inches long a few inches away from the edge of the 2 cm thick granite that is above our sink area in the garden window. It's only noticable in certain light but unfortunately, being towards the edge at the angle of the window, I can't really place anything over it to hide it as it would look out-of-place. Any thoughts about that crack or should I just be worried about the one at the sink? The granite guy is supposed to be coming back to look at it as well as some other pitted areas but he doesn't know about the crack at the sink yet as we just discovered it.

Any help dealing with this (especially the crack at the sink) would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (5)