SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy6421

Most Durable Kitchen Countertop Material?

kathy6421
9 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and a carpenter friend of ours said he knows a lot of people that have quartz(silestone) and it is extremely durable, stain proof, scratch proof and easy to maintain. He also said there is no need for a sealer like granite has.

The other night my husband went to a friend's house and his friend's wife showed him her island which is a dark silestone. She said it scratches anytime you move something across it, plus there is a slight stain that she can't get rid of.. She said she has granite in her bathroom and only has to wipe the sealer on once in awhile and nothing harms it(no scratches, no dark spots from water etc), and should have gone with granite in the kitchen.

I really don't care for granite for a few reasons. I'd prefer something not so shiny, everyone has it and I've heard not all sealers are the same. Some people swear by one, while someone else says it's not that good.

Is it true that all quartz can scratch and stain, or just silestone? If so, what should I look at getting? I don't want a lot of maintenance and don't want to have to be really careful with it.

I know there is honed granite, which I love the look of, but it's much harder to keep clean.

If you cook a lot, have kids, your countertop gets a lot of use, is durable, doesn't stain or scratch, is very low maintenance and you love it, please let me know what you have. Thanks! :)

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 11:22

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County