SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktgirl10

Which cabinets to replace with glass fronts?

ktgirl10
13 years ago

We are in the process of doing a mini-remodel of the kitchen. The only pics I have attached are of the "before" stage. Cabinets are going to be painted a bright, clean white, we have changed the counter tops to black pearl granite, the backsplash is white 3x6 subway tile and the floors are now a medium brown wood color.

I would like to have my husband cut out the center of one or more cabinets and replace it with glass. I haven't gone to pick out a glass yet, but will probably go with a reeded glass or something similar.

So I have two questions - 1) my CONTRACTOR husband is giving me a hard time about cutting out the center of the cabinets. He can build houses but he claims he does not know how to do this. As you can see from the pics attached, we have raised panel doors, I thought he could just router out the center and then stick the glass piece in with some silicone caulk...no? Does anyone have any experience in doing this themselves?

2) Which cabinet/s should I replace with the glass? I definitely want to do the corner 45 degree cabinet. Cannot afford to lose the cabinet space so I can't do them all but I definitely want to break up the white so it doesn't look like a bright white blob. How about the two above the stove?

Any ideas or opinions would be great! TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen BEFORE

Comments (16)