SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Picking pendant lights

Kristen Hallock
10 years ago

Ugh. I think DH and I finally decided on a light over our kitchen table. We used to have a Hubbardton Forge chandelier but we moved that to the dining room (it was a bronze finish and the kitchen is going to be satin nickel) and we are getting this light for over the table.

But now we cant decide on pendant lights. Everything I like, he hates, or they are just more $$ than we wanted to spend. I loved the Hudson Valley Canton pendant. He hates it. I like a simple pendant with white glass that curves inward. he thinks that looks stupid and having it curve inward will not distribute the light. I like a shape like this
{{!gwi}}

he does like the Hudson Valley Pelham pendants, and I do too, but I am worried that is too much metal since my 36" range is stainless steel and the hood is stainless steel and the fridge is stainless, and the dishwasher, etc...

I also sort of like the Hudson Valley altamont pendant with the white shade. Or the Exeter pendant with a white glass shade, or the Darien. But the Exeter is rather small and I am still unsure of what size pendants I should be shooting for over my island.

Our island is 51" x 69" (with countertop overhang) and we are only putting 2 pendants in. I know most people like 3, but 3 felt like too much and we've already had the electrical installed for 2 pendant lights. The perimeter is lit by those CREE Home Depot recessed lights, and we have LED undercabinet lighting.

Any ideas? I could spend more if its the perfect pendant. But I'd like to stick around $200 if possible, I dont like bell-shaped shades - too traditional for me. Here is a picture of the kitchen (not finished yet), Its not usually this yellow looking. I just took the picture in bad light I think. You can just see the edge of the kitchen table/chairs on the far right of the picture. The table is rectangular with 6 chairs.

How wide should my lights be? There is no seating on the island. There will be a prep sink by the range end.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio