SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smilieme

Opinions Please - cabinet and countertops

smilieme
13 years ago

We are in the planning stage of kitchen remodeling. Both my husband and I are not the DIY type, and we haven't done any big renovations either by hiring a pro except for small repairs by handyman. So I am very nervous. Right now I am working with 2 KDs and got different bids. It's not apple-to-apple comparison, because one KD recommendated Crystal Keyline cabinet, and another one Merillat Classic. I have done my research on this forum, and learned that Crystal Keyline is a more high end and high quality semi-custom cabinet line compared to Merillat Classic, which of course reflects in the bids: $5000 more on Crystal for my size kitchen. Financially, the bid on Merillat Classic is close to our budget, but if we want to stretch a bit, we can afford Crystal too. I really couldn't make up my mind because even with Merillat Classic Maple or Cherry, it's already a step-up from what we have now: 15 years old Merillat white "thermofoil" cabinet. The door surface starts to "bubbling up", and even peeling off from the door egde. Cost aside, if I could find the colors and door styles in both product lines, what other factors should I consider before I make decision? The neighborhood? The time that we will stay in this house? Please advise.

About the countertop: our kitchen has an L shape counter and an island. We replaced the laminated countertop on the island with granite after we moved in several years ago, and rest of kitchen are still the original laminated countertops. We thought about replacing all with granite in this remodeling, but based on our experience with the island, the granite can be very cold in the winter time. Our L shape counter has an openning to our great room, where my husband and kids like do their works while watching me cooking. So granite, though "good looking", might be too cold and uncomfortable for us (we have a long winter). Will Corian a better choice, or we should stay with formica for the comfortableness? Opinions please.

Comments (3)