SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rtkothe

Please "Truth" my Kitchen Remodel Quote

rtkothe
9 years ago

Hi there. Got the quote back for our remodel. House is a 1962 brick ranch (2300 sq ft) in nice neighborhood Charleston, SC on crawl space. The remodel includes a 12x12 Kitchen, mudroom being converted to extra bedroom, adding a powder room (in mudroom), 6 new windows in the front of the house and taking down paneling and putting up dry wall in room adjacent to kitchen. The house is worth 270 - 300K. We owe about 180K.

Kitchen - Complete rip-out down to studs, new floor hardwood floor to match existing floor. Floor has some water damage due to leaky pipe. New everything. Running gas to stove which is currently right behind a wall. Taking down a wall separating the dinning room and kitchen (beam may be needed for this).

Mud Room/ 4th bedroom - the mudroom is a well-converted single car garage remodeled 1998. Our plans are to make a small guest bedroom, keep our laundry here and add a powder room. This room is just off the kitchen. It needs new floor, a dividing wall with pocket doors, dry wall. Powder room would need plumbing, electric, fixtures, dry wall etc.

The quote is for about 57K (remodel) + 12K (contractor fee?) = 69K. Which is expense to me. I am working with contractor that has a good rep around here. I asked him to trim his number and he basically nicely told me that there was a lot of work to do here, so that's the price. Had another quote where the cabinets alone were 22K.

Please look over the attached and tell me if you think this is reasonable for what we want done. Thank you !! Really need some advice here.

Comments (12)