SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gigib_08

How bad does this look in my kitchen?

gigib_08
13 years ago

After 7 years my paneled DW quit working & DH talked me into updating our kitchen with a new SS dw- to moderize it, he said. Well the new dw was installed yesterday and now I am having so many regrets! I really liked the look of the paneled dw but agreed with him that maybe it was an outdated style, but now I think I made a huge mistake! I don't know if I can sell this new one and take a loss or what can be done except cry.

Please be honest! Do you prefer the paneled one?

ss dw

{{!gwi}}

IMG]{{!gwi}}

paneled dw

Comments (44)

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry, bigger pic of ss dw
    {{!gwi}}

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry, bigger pic of ss dw
    {{!gwi}}

• Related Discussions

How bad does this look?

Q

Comments (7)
    From the what you showed us about six feet away I see a white door with white trim. Maybe there's more to the picture, but for the moment I third.... "Paint it!"
    ...See More

How bad does this look?

Q

Comments (28)
    gibby, your kitchens was one of the ones I looked at when trying to decide between white and dark cabinets. I have white trim everywhere except around a bow window which has the same oak trim as the door in question. I know if I change the door, the trim around the window will probably have to be changed as well. holligator, thanks for confirming that I could use 2 different colours on the door and for confirming my thoughts on using black. lukkiirish, thank you! cotehele, I know, but I also know that I am tired of the golden oak and would like to de-oak, just like jiggreen above! Would it look weird if I painted the trim in white, like the rest of the house, but the door in the same brown as the cabinets or would I have to go all chocolate brown? Thanks again for your suggestions.
    ...See More

Why does my water lily look so bad?

Q

Comments (3)
    catherinet, I have a small (I mean small) pond with a water lily in it, and all the frogs laid eggs in it, the tadpoles are a pain, I added a goldfish, he eats all the frog eggs, so now I don't have that problem anymore. He is happy too.
    ...See More

How bad does this soffit look?

Q

Comments (30)
    I would also keep it. I really like the visual interest and character the different levels and angles adds to your ceiling. Ours isn't a ceiling soffit, but we also have a very prominent soffit that housed florescent lights that ran around the perimeter of all the rooms in our home. We briefly considered losing it, but doing so would completely change the look and feel of the house, to the point where it would have lost a lot of its quirky MCM look. The soffit was one thing that people commented on when they saw the house. So, we're re-building the same soffit throughout the house, even though it seems to "lower" the beamed ceilings:
    ...See More
  • remodelfla
    13 years ago

I actually prefer the SS. It ties in the pendants more and relates to your beautiful range.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Can you make the new picture bigger, I can't see the dishwasher. The paneled one looks good. Maybe the SS will look good too as it will match your stove and other SS items in your kitchen.

• svs128
    13 years ago

I prefer the SS dishwasher. For me, it really ties together the other SS accents within your kitchen. I agree with remodelfla.

On a side note... where did you get your SS canisters? Do they seal well? I like!

• User
    13 years ago

If I didn't know you were upset about it being stainless, it wouldn't have occured to me that it didn't belong there. Looks absolutely fine to me, and that's saying something as I am at this moment parked at the dining room table across from our "Good grief the fridge is dying.. we need to replace it NOW".. stainless kitchenAid. After the 30 year old white block of a fridge, all this stainless (although it is brushed stainless), looks like I have 1/2 a battleship in here!

I am getting used to it, and I am sure as time goes on you, it will disappear from your line of sight. Enjoy the prospect of clean dishes, be happy with the fact that at least you didn't have to take off your kitchen door in the pouring rain to get it in, and no more dishwasher shopping!

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

I think it looks just fine. Just remember, you could be cooking here....

{{!gwi}}

• purplepansies
    13 years ago

I think it looks wonferful as well, and I happen to like it more than the paneled DW. Give it time, it's just so different to you now, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

Plus, didn't want to hijack you thread but I really like your backsplash.

• hilarymontville
    13 years ago

I agree with what others have said, the stainless dishwasher looks great in there.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Another vote for the stainless dishwasher. I think it looks great!

• ebean
    13 years ago

i like it better than the paneled one. gives balance.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

It looks wonderful, it blends in actually.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

It looks beautiful and makes your gorgeous kitchen even more gorgeous. I like how it balances out the stainless in your stove. To me it really does creates a nicer balance and rhythm than the panel dishwasher. Hope you love it soon!

• gypsabelle
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and the stainless dishwasher does detract from it at all. It fits in perfectly!

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Yet another vote for the stainless. I prefer the stainless door. I think what you are feeling is that it is new and different from what your eye has seen for a number of years. But I like how the stainless breaks up the solid block of cabinets and gives your eye something different to look at than wood.

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

I agree with the others, the stainless dishwasher looks great. I immediately thought how it balanced out the stove. Your kitchen is gorgeous!!

• riverspots
    13 years ago

Seeing the two pics side by side, I do prefer the paneled version. But...if I had only seen the SS pic, I never would have noticed anything out of place. You notice it because it's different. Eventually, you'll forget how the paneled DW looked and wonder why you had doubts about this one.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think either option is nice. Since you have done the other look for a while, just enjoy the change as a refreshing break from what you were used to. Like wearing different earrings or a new hairstyle.
    If you save the panel, you could always go that route many years from now with your next dw ;)

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much! My dh can't understand why I stress so much about these details and I knew you would all understand. I was up from 2am until 5am this morning not able to sleep because I was so upset about the new dw. I'm SO glad to see you all think it looks good! I hope I do get used to it. My sister came by and just said "hmm, it's ok." so I was really worried then. Thank you all again for your honest answers!!

svs128- The canisters I got 7 years ago online from Target. They were I think $80.00 for all 3. Not sure if they still have them online or not but they seal incredibly well- My DH says too well!

• ritamay91710
    13 years ago

The stainless looks much better. The panel looks kind of country to me.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Another vote for the stainless dishwasher. I think it looks great there.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

I like the SS DW! I can see why after so many years of having it paneled you might be a little freaked out to have it suddenly be SS, but like everyone else says, it fits in perfectly in your kitchen... so you probably just need a lil time to get used to it.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

they both look great to me, and I think I prefer the look of the stainless too!

• Jody
    13 years ago

Another vote for the stainless dishwasher .... think it looks like it belongs there.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I recently read that people are moving away from paneled appliances. The article said paneled appliances date a kitchen. Even if I had not read the article, I think your ss dishwasher looks better than your paneled dw.

• mirz2000
    13 years ago

Stainless dishwasher... totally. I am not a big fan of paneling, though.

• scootermom
    13 years ago

It's a beautiful kitchen either way. I am normally not a fan of paneled DWs, but yours was very nice and looked like a cabinet. The SS looks great, too, though!

I am having fun playing Spot the Differences between your two pictures. I've found 11 differences, besides the obvious dishwasher. :-)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Did you save the panel? I agree that the stainless doesn't kill your pretty kitchen, but the panel would be a lot better if it could be installed properly on a new DW. The problem comes in when there's a different style DW and the panel has to be replaced and matched. That becomes a nightmare and takes a master carpenter to make look really good--plus even when it's perfectly matched for just now, it ages differently so may not look great in the future.

If you can use the old panel, and you have the money, you could replace the stainless one--crying over a dishwasher is silly if you can just change the dishwasher to a tears-free one--and donate the stainless one to charity. That way someone needy gets a really great new dishwasher and you can dry your tears.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Since all the panel dislikers are chiming in, let me add my vote to SS!
    I have never liked paneled appliances. What are you trying to hide? an entrance to a secret place?

I like an appliance to look like an appliance.

The SS looks really nice.

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your wonderful compliments! You are all so great! I really appreciate it!

ritamay- Country is what I am definately trying to get away from. My tastes have changed over the years and I am drawn to the more clean lines of Modern design.

scootermom- That is so funny! Each time I clean above the cabinets the whole kitchen gets changed! I'm actually contemplating taking everything down above the cabinets and leaving them bare.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I think the stainless looks great. The paneled one looked good, too, but not better. Just different.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

get some sleep now! lol! it looks great in SS. you're just used to seeing the wood panel there so your eyes are drawn to the change. that'll fade.

it does balance out with the stove on the other run.

• wear_your_baby
    13 years ago

The SS DW looks wonderful. I actually prefer it.

• lizziem62
    13 years ago

i think they both look nice, but i liked the ss a little more. balanced with the stove. you have a gorgeous kitchen!!

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Betteratthelake, Whenver I lose sleep over something like this I remind myself of all that could be going on in my life that would really be worth losing sleep over.

I like the stainless more than the panel; it looks lovely and balances the range. You did a good job on this kitchen.

Hope you sleep better tonight.

• debinnh
    13 years ago

It looks awful! I think you should tear out your whole kitchen and remodel it to match the DW! :)

(isn't that how most of us got started...)

• taggie
    13 years ago

I prefer the stainless too. It looks lovely in your kitchen!

You'd better not let your husband see this thread whatever you do ... he might think he's earned the right to make future design decisions ... and clearly that's never the case. :-)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

That kitchen is seven YEARS old?? It looks great! Next time there's a thread about what's in and what's out and how long trends last, you need to post that picture.

• carrie7
    13 years ago

For sure the SS. It is a better balance and looks way richer and luxuious. I promise.
    What sink do you have? How do you like your range? I just ordered one and I am a little nervous because I have always had double ovens.
    I think your kitchen looks perfect.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

funny I just had to make this decision for my new kitchen. I opted for showing the ss appliances (oven, dw and refrigerator) as I felt that it would help break up all the cherry wood in my kitchen. after seeing yours, I'm glad I went with th ss as I feel it helps tie things together and lightens the look. thnx!

obviously I think it looks fine with the ss.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

SVS128 - I saw some pretty, airtight stainless canisters in Macys today and they were $20 for the set. They had glass in the center of the top so you only saw it when looking from right above. It is a nice way to let someone know what is inside without opening.

Sry to hijack, but I had trouble finding where someone had asked. I just happened to notice them today :)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I think the stainless looks wonderful. It is probably such a change for you it is hard to see the new beauty. It ties in very well with the rest of your kitchen. Your kitchen is gorgeous!!!

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    13 years ago

taggie- I wish I had one of those dh's that could care less about what goes on the wall, etc. but he always has a say, so I will definately not show him this thread!

carrie7- my sink is a silestone sink & I love it. My Range is a Dacor. I looked at Viking and Dacor and liked the Dacor better. I got the double oven because I cook alot, but I'm sure I would be able to adjust to just 1 oven.

cpartist- looking forward to seeing pictures of your kitchen!