SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Grout and angled wall for mosaic tile?

kksmama
10 years ago

I'm not going to install my backsplash myself. It is a mini brick mosaic of glass, marble, and mother of pearl.

I would like to think I can just trust the installer to choose the best materials and use them correctly. But even if John Bridge (assuming he was/is a real person with tile expertise) were my installer I'd have to double check his choices with GW, so I might as well know the right answers in advance.
Naturally I want grout that will in no way look or perform like porous, stainable, rough textured grout. And I can't quite imagine what should be done about the angle in the wall, which is about 135 degrees. I guess these tiny bricks have to be cut to form a smooth line on each side - and at the ends of the runs, as well?
Is the grout brand an easy decision, with a clear answer (like lower drawers vs doors) or something more complicated?
I have about 40 square feet, so if there is a grout made from hand harvested snail mucus that resists grape smudges for 17.6 seconds longer than "standard" grout, I'll go through the required spiritual cleansing rituals to gain admittance to the upscale tile store that has an exclusive contract with the noble eighth generation snail trackers. If there is a sealer, or pre-grout release product that has to be applied by the light of moon and with organic fair trade handspun cotton swabs, I'll clear my calendar. I'll even come up with a new way to trick my friends and family into choosing between four different shades of white (grey white! not tan white, not pink white, not yellow white) and then disregard their unanimous recommendation as I search for the right shade of 41.5% tinted gray (white grey! not muddy grey, greenish grey, or taupey grey). But I'd be so grateful if someone could give me a little nudge in the right direction by telling me what brand of grout (and other products) I need.

Comments (20)