SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogarden_oak

White Kitchen Reveal (long post with photos)

lovetogarden_oak
10 years ago

Dear GW-ers,

It took us about 9 months (yup!) to complete our kitchen reno. We acted as our own GC and hired the pros to do most carpentry work, all electrical, all plumbing, flooring, backsplash and countertop.

We have benefitted immensely from the extra eyes on GW looking over our layout plan before we purchased our cabinetry. We are so grateful for the detailed discussions of pretty much anything kitchen-reno related (we read all buehl's post multiple times!) We love love love the inspiring "after" photos posted by the GW community. You have been a constant resource to us.

Thank you so much to everyone who had offered ideas, inisghts, suggestions, and gentle words of encouragement during our reno! You are really awesome!

To help reduce cost, we did quite a bit of work ourselves, though in hindsight, we probably should just hire the pro to do them as it took us soooo long to finish the work as we didn't have any prior experience. With the help of DD and our carpenter, we installed a new Marvin Integrity bay window to replace the aluminum garden window in the old kitchen. We naively took the job of tapping, mudding and sanding the newly sheetrocked walls and ceiling during the Christmas holiday (it looked so easy on youtube, but it took us weeks to finish the job!) We also installed the cabinets including the crown moulding, scribes and hardware ourselves. DH did baseboard installation while I painted the window trims and the built-in china cabinet. There was definitely sweat-equity involved here.

Our carpenter built a custom pantry with IKEA Rationell pull-out drawers to replace the broom closet. It is one of my favorite features in our new kitchen!

So, without further ado, here is the list of materials, plus our before, during and after photos. I will post more detailed photos in the FKB, including the inside of our cabinets, once I figured out how to do that. :)

Cabinetry: InnerMost (from HD) - La Porte (their shaker style) in Divinity Classic finish. The KD is a superstar (we love Sherry)! She was so patient with me as I kept changing the layout for the millionth times. The InnerMost Rep is also amazing! We are very happy customers!
Pulls: Asbury in polished chrome (from Restoration Hardware)
Knobs: 1 1/4" glass knobs with polished nickel base (from RH as well)
Countertop: Calacatta Oro 2cm marble slab (it took forever to find one that we love, but we finally did!) and prefab white quartz for the china cab (don't know the name of it... We saw the remnant piece on our way out from the fabricator's warehouse.)
Backsplash: 1"x6" white Daltile subway tiles (from HD)
Sink: 28" wide Julien 025 806 J18 (to fit our 33" sink base) plus grid
Faucet: Grohe Concetto Dual Spray Pull Down 32665 in Polished Chrome
Soap dispenser: Blanco Alta Soap / Lotion Dispenser 440046 in Polished Chrome
Garbage disposal: Whirlpool GC 5000 3/4 hp (from IKEA)
Air gap: Blanco 44036 in Polished Chrome
Air switch: Enviropure ENVAS1CH in Polished Chrome
Stove: 30" GE monogram gas stove ZGP30NRSS
Hood: 36"W, 1000cfm KOBE CH0036SQB-1 (seems to work well enough with our GE monogram stove)
Duct cover: 12" H and 36" W, KOBE CH0036DC12 308 to match the hood
Refrigerator: 36" counter-depth french door Kitchen Aid KFCP22EXMP
DW: Miele G5575SCSF
Microwave: 0.8 cu ft Panasonic NN-SD372S perfect for our family of three! (From target.com)
Flooring: site finished Santos Mahogany (2 coats of Traffic Satin, and 1 coat Traffic semi gloss which darkened the *eek!* pinkish floor to a beautiful reddish brown we now love.)
Lighting: canned LED lights on dimmer for ceiling, and puck LED light for under cabinet lighting, IKEA's Inreda LED lights (great value!), and RH school house light with oil rubbed bronze finish for the nook
Wall color: a custom color, somewhere between BM Wickham Gray and Grey Cashmere.
Trim color: BM match of HD Behr Pot Of Cream.

The before:

The built-in china cabinet before it was painted and had its formica countertop replaced with prefab quartz

The during:

The after:

A special shout out to palimpsest for his input on the fridge placement (thank you!):

The custom pantry with IKEA pull-out drawers:

Appliance garage:

Gas shut-off hidden in toe-kick area:

DH did such a beautiful job with the scribing (especially since he has never done any finishing carpentry before!)

GW-inspired details...

Grid in sink:

Runnels:

Under sink trash-system with IKEA pull-out drawer:

Oil/Vinegar pull-out rack:

Spice drawer:

That's all I can think of for now.

Thank you so much, GW-ers! We LOVE our new kitchen!

This post was edited by lovetogarden_oak on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 0:53

Comments (60)