SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally123_gw

My cabinets are a nightmare.

sally123
15 years ago

My cabinets arrived a couple weeks ago and were being stored. I visited them and looked at them and was very happy. They are cherry cabinets from Medallion with a pecan stain. The finish is beautiful and they seem to be very well-made.

The cabinets were delivered on Monday and are in the process of being installed. There are many that are the wrong size or just don't fit.

The guy who provided the cabinets is on vacation until Monday.

All of the cabinets are supposed to go all the way to the 9-foot ceiling. The ones on the left have additional 18-inch cabinets on top, with a 6-inch molding. The cabinets on the right are supposed to be 48 inches tall with the same molding. Instead they are 42 inches. Except for the one that is 30 inches. The installers hung this one temporarily because they were afraid that there was a problem on that wall with the hood and they are right. That blind corner cabinet is supposed to be 36 inches wide and is, instead 39. I am supposed to have a 42-inch hood in between the two upper cabinets, centered above the cooktop, with the upper and base cabinets next to the door lined up. There are not 42 inches there, and the place for the hood is not centered.

The upper cabinet to the right of the sink (besides being 6 inches too short) must be 3-inches from the wall be cause of the molding. When it is in that position it is smack up against the window, not allowing for any casing whatsoever. The cabinet on the other side of the sink will be a good 3 inches from the window.

The lower cabinets have a sink in the middle which should be centered under the window. The corner cabinet is too big and pushes everything down so that not only is the sink not centered, the end of the base cabinet is about 3/4 an inch from the end of the wall. As I mentioned above, the upper cabinet must be 3-inches from the end of the wall.

The corner cabinet door (next to the 3-drawer base cabinet by the cooktop) can't open all the way because it runs into the drawers. There is a "magic-corner" kind of unit in there which does not operate unless the door opens all the way.

Not pictured, because the cabinets can't be installed at all, is the butler's pantry which is 23 inches deep, not allowing for a door casing. The cabinets were supposed to be 18 inches deep, instead they are 24.

Some of you may remember that I was ready to order my cabinets from Lowe's, but didn't because they required 100% payment up front. I found a different dealer for the same cabinets and ordered from him. He let me pay him 50% up front, and wanted the rest when the cabinets arrived in his warehouse. I gave him only 25% and told him I would pay the rest when the cabinets were installed. I ordered cabinets for several other places in my house (the laundry room, a bathroom, a linen closet, etc. which are all fine). I still owe him about $10,000 for which I am SO GRATEFUL.

My house, which was supposed to be done in the middle of September is now at least 2 months from completion. I feel sick.

Comments (45)