SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kuhnnie

Help! Marble Countertop Mysteriously Broken by Fabricator...

kuhnnie
13 years ago

We are working with a kitchen designer who was on-site when our calacutta marble countertop was installed while we were on vacation. We heard all went well, came home to find the one seam we were expecting (at the middle of the undermount sink/faucet), but then found two additional seams around the sink (one on the diagonal of the sink that goes over the mietered edge as well, and one a couple of inches away from the expected seam at the back of the sink). We also found a seam on the mietered edge near our range.

No one has yet to fess up to what happened. The designer didn't see anything happen during the installation..but clearly she wasn't on-site for the entire install and didn't want to admit to that. She has spoken to the owner, but none of the workers are saying anything about what might have happened.

The owner and our designer are coming over in two days to look at the seams and discuss...and of course, they are looking to collect the remaining money due - which DH and I are not so ready to part with. They have offered a $200 discount and that seems paltry to us. The stone cost over $3k and the install was $3,400 and clearly, they broke our stone (and won't even explain what happened!)

I've had people tell me we should demand that they buy us new stone and re-install...and I so don't want to have to rip out half the counter top at this point - but I also don't think we should pay someone $3,200 when they did such a poor job installing and tried to cover up the fact that they broke the stone in three different places.

Has anyone else faced this issue, and what did you do? Any advice/stories would be much, much appreciated!

Comments (19)