SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
tanner27

Need advice picking a dining table to suit

tanner27
11 years ago

So our home is nearing completion, although it is an RTM so it has to be moved to our site now and about another 4-6 weeks of hookups/finishing work before we can move in. We are a young family expecting baby #4 and am in need of a new dining table. Our dining area is right between the living room and the kitchen and it is all open concept. Our designer made sure we could comfortably have a 10' table there as I intend on having many large family gatherings :). However, we have went with hickory cabinets, which I love, but am having a hard time choosing a table. The main trouble is, I can spend the money and go with a custom made hickory table, not sure what kind of chairs to go with as my hubby wants padding and really loves the parsons chairs. So to get the table and 6-8 chairs we'd be looking around 4-5K to spend. Or, do we get a cheap set from one of the big box stores and replace it in a few years when I'm back to work and can better afford to spend the 4-5K? I'm stumped as to what color of table to go with if I don't go with hickory?

Anyone have any suggestions or pictures? I'm also in Saskatchewan so my options are a bit more limited.

Here's a link to some pictures of the kitchen...

http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/vv284/tannerfamily27/House/

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen pictures

Comments (16)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

What do you have for countertops and backsplash? What about flooring? Do you have carpet or an area rug? Is there a fireplace...what about the surround?

Without knowing more about your style...how about black? You could get some inexpensive padded chairs and slipcover them. Black is classic and the slipcovers would be easy to wash...and you could change them with the seasons :)

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Or do maple - just slightly tinted - it would pick up the lighter tones of the hickory.

Alternately, maybe something a little funky-industrial? It takes more time to find and has intermediate points where it feels crazy, but recycled no-match can be a great look with instant warmth.

Just a reminder that throwing a big table cloth over even plastic folding tables makes them look wonderful.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Sorry, I did not see the link to your kitchen. This is why I should drink my tea, before I jump on GW :)

Seeing your countertops, I think the black would look good. I still like slipcovers, especially with kids!

• tanner27
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know I never really looked at the paint since the cabinets went in, I loved it before the cabinets, loved the cabinets, but now maybe I should look at changing it. Trouble is, I did that color through the WHOLE house because it was neutral. Its Brown Teepee...what color would you go with instead, although not sure we're up to repainting anytime soon with new baby on the way, lol.

Maybe your right that hickory table would be too much. I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for yet I guess. Maybe I need to wait until we're living in the house to get a better feel of it.

Still love anymore feedback!

• tanner27
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ack, now I can't stop thinking about the paint and need to go see it in person, lol. Any suggestions on what I could do to not have the paint look so clashy, other than paint the whole thing of course?

And been thinking, maybe a table in more of an espresso finish? (can't remember if thats dark enough for the flooring and counters...)

• tanner27
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately I've went from loving my new kitchen to really doubting my choices and unsure how to fix it in the easiest and cheapest way. Maybe when I do a backsplash I can somehow meld the cabinet and wall colors better?

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Congrats on the new house, new kitchen and new baby. You seem to be at a place in your life where a lot of positive changes are happening. Enjoy it!

As for the table, my personal opinion is that the hickory cabinets (while beautiful) add so much texture, I'd go with something more solid. I like the idea of dark, echoing wizardnm and your expresso color idea though even walnut would be dark enough, but you could go industrial or light if that better fits you.

In terms of the paint color, it seems to be a color that varies dramatically with light. On the window walls, it seems much warmer. On the interior walls, it seems much more grayed out. The up side of that is that you might be able to play with lighting. And yes, the backsplash might make a difference - though I wouldn't pick a backsplash based on making the paint color work if it ain't really working.

I'd personally recommend you get into the house, though it would be MUCH easier to repaint before those appliances and people move in. ;)

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Lovely new kitchen. Personally, I would probably aim for a table not of hickory, but of a wood that has similar tones to either the light or dark color of the hickory cabinets. Something that complements, but doesn't compete with the kitchen cabinets. I'm not a wood expert, but I'd be looking at maybe maple, oak, or birch.

May I suggest an alternative to spending $4-5k on a new table or buying a cheap new table? Check your local classifieds / craigslist, etc. Look for a good quality used table. It may take a little time, but you will likely save a huge amount of money. If you find something that you like and is good quality but isn't quite perfect, it's still likely to be less expensive than buying something new and poor quality. It took me some time (maybe a few months?) but I finally found a perfect dining room table for my home for a few hundred dollars. There is absolutely no way I could have afforded a brand new table of anywhere near the same quality.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen! If the paint ends up being off, it can be changed. But when I look at your pictures the color doesn't bother me. The floor picks up the wall color as well as the brown in the cabinets. If that is the case with the colors, it adds depth in my opinion. I like your space a lot.

What Prickly says is a great idea, get a used table. Would a harvest table be inappropriate? I see them on Craig's List sometimes. I think walnut would be nice. Hickory and walnut trees come from the same neck of the woods!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Hi again, natural maple would be pretty against the dark floors and pick up the light color of the hickory that someone earlier pointed out. I personally don't think maple picks up stain very nicely but I love it in its natural color. When I see it stained it always looks muddied.

• tanner27
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Walnut may be a great idea, or natural maple I don't mind as well. I have been watching our used ads, so far all I've seen are the oak sets so nothing I've been drawn to but I'll keep watching. Thanks again!

• dalmadarling
    11 years ago

Some more wood dining tables for you to consider - maybe go somewhere in the middle (between big box and custom?)
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/wood%20dining%20table

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

We recently purchased a set from Canadel. I could not be happier with the quality. Everything is customizable (other than using birch) and you can build your own table on their website. Even if you don't buy from them, playing around with the options on their site might give you a good idea of what you're really looking for...

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadel design site

• sue_b
    11 years ago

You are in the middle of a beautiful exciting time! I bet this same question on the GardenWeb Furniture forum would get you some source recommendations.

I love finding a well loved used furniture bargain but I know how much time I have spent on that kind of hunt. I just checked Overstock.com .... I've seen in magazines recently furniture & accessories from there all really stylish and great prices. They ship internationally. Today there are not very many in your 96 inch length....I filtered for Rectangle shape. Most are about $200 but this one that is dark walnut finish (made of hardwoods and veneers, doesn't say what kind) is $720. I don't like the chairs with this one but on Overstock there are 100s of chairs. Good luck with your hunt. Living where you live maybe buying furniture online is for you.

Years ago I bought my first couch & loveseat from a showroom in North Carolina over the phone. I talked to a design consultant on the phone and got the brand I wanted and chose the fabric from a local store that had it. The company I first used Furniturelandsouth is online and you could try shopping over the phone. They would send you links to 96 inch, espresso finish, rectangle tables, whatever parameters you say. That sure would save you time on driving all over the place. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: FurniturelandSouth search result for dining tables

• Heidi Hulett
    6 years ago

I am curious in what table color you chose? Your kitchen is similar to mine and I am currently looking at a new table.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs