SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladoladi

hood / range wall question

ladoladi
13 years ago

hello:

i am hoping to make this a quick question, as opposed to some of my other posts which tend to ramble, but i just had quite a weekend with the in-laws who are "advising" us on our kitchen reno, so i may not be entirely coherent.

BF and i are hoping for a young-feeling, contemporary kitchen, but nothing ultra-modern/jetsons-like. we just want a hip vibe in our kitchen, nothing too stuffy, formal, or ornate. we are going with shaker cabinets in a dark chocolate color with minimal moldings and white-ish counters and backsplash--if that gives you an idea of our sensibilities.

we are most likely doing a 36" range with a SS hood on a 135" wall (not terribly big, i know) that will also incorporate fridge, 2-30" cabinets, and a 24" cabinet. our ceilings are vaulted, and this wall is more than 18' at the highest point and angles down to about 13'. though small, it is essentially the focal point of the kitchen because it faces the great room. we are still tweaking a few parts of the floor plan so i won't post that just yet.

boyfriend and i were thinking of a very tall hood stem with open shelves to either side of the hood, instead of uppers to either side of the hood. in-laws are trying to convince us not to do the open shelves and to "frame in" the hood with 12" cabinets above the 42" uppers and a soffit above the 12" cabinets. (there is currently a soffit, but we would be raising it up.) their suggestion is that the hood stem die at a valance bridging the upper row of 12" cabinets.

in our open shelf plan, we are not sure where the hood stem would die. it certainly cannot go up all the way to the very top of the ceiling...it is about 15' in the area above the range. however, we think the "framed in" look is part of that over-built kitchen we are trying to avoid. are we wrong? can it look less stuffy? anyone with high ceilings have interesting hood stem suggestions?

thanks.

Comments (6)