SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Vote on my subway backsplash pattern

redroze
15 years ago

We bought the Ann Sacks Heath ceramic tile in 2x8 inches which is a twist on the traditional subway tile size as it has a skinnier and longer dimension. Now we're trying to decide on the pattern to go with. As you can see, there is cabinetry symmetry on either side of our main focal point, the cooktop area. The range hood is also being shortened by 5" so it will be higher up, and will create more area for the backsplash to be highlighted. We're also adding horizontal trim to the bottom portion of the range hood to give it a finished look.

Here is a Photoshopped photo of our cooktop area, as the pendants will be installed later this week. (Ignore the freaky arm on the right with the third pendant!)

Option 1: It's called a raking stretcher bond, which means that each brick overlaps the one below (or above) by 1/4 of its length. I love the energy and the unusual look to it, but do you think it would odd given our cabinets have good symmetry?

This was my sad attempt to mockup the raking stretcher bond. See how the tiles look like they are "falling" from top left to bottom right?

Option 2: The standard running brick pattern of a subway tile. Although it's a typical pattern, I think the skinnier size of the tile makes it look just a bit different. Sorry, I know it's a bit hard to see.

Comments (26)