SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theanimala

Too many compromises with Inset Cabinets?

theanimala
14 years ago

Well, it's too late for me, but I realized today how many compromises there are with inset cabinets. I love the look of them and when I found out they were in our budget I changed from full overlay to inset. During the final purchase I found out about the slightly less space, especially on the uppers, so I paid a surcharge to have them made 1 inch deeper. So far all good.

They they are installed (and they look great), and right after my Counter Depth FD fridge is installed, and guess what? More then the doors and handle stick out, part of the black on the side does. Oh well, so much for not having doors stick out. Then this week the warming drawer is installed, and again it sticks out further than expected, because of the flush doors. Today we had the countertop templated, and found out that the top will be 1/2" less deep all around, so that we don't have a crazy deep overhang, which would be the overhang we would have if we had done full overlay. So now I will have slightly less countertop space, in addition to my appliances showing.

I still love the look of an inset kitchen, and while no one issue is huge, overall they do add up. Just want to point it out to the people considering inset.

Comments (8)