SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcahalan_gw

Sink in front of low window / banquette / old house

tcahalan
15 years ago

I am a long-time lurker, and finished my kitchen a few months ago after having to move out of our house to repair structural issues, etc! I just finally figured out how to post some pictures. I tried to help someone long ago figure out a solution for a sink in front of a low window, but couldn't find my old post, so I'm including a picture here of what we did. Maybe it will help someone now - We just ran our soapstone counter right in front of the window. The carpenters had to cut the trim around the windows and rest it on top of the counter. I can still operate the window. We had the soapstone guys cut a 1" high piece (slighty wider than the window opening) and set that right on top so water wouldn't get into the gap between the cabinet and the window. It works great and no one notices it. Plus, to hide the view from outside (you look right at the back of the cabinet), we hung a window box. It's higher than usual but it looks fine. And it really looks nice from inside. I filled it with herbs and it's wonderful to open mywindow and snip some fresh basil or rosemary for dinner! Plus, it's easy to water! Here's a picture from before the window box:

Here's a picture while we were in progress

Here are some of the finshed product!

For background, this is a 1918 bungalow We worked completely within the footprint that we had, but took everything down to the studs to shore up walls (a load-bearing wall had been removed years ago), fix the floors, etc. We ripped the plaster off of the chimney to expose the fireplace and used one of the old floor joists to create the mantle out of heart poplar. The old chimney from the wood ( or coal?) burning stove is also exposed in one corner. We had a great cabinet maker make custom cabinets (less than ordering from Home Depot!), and used green subway tile for the backsplash. We took out a pantry to create the banquette and I love having a eat-in kitchen. The brackets holding up the shelves above the banquette are replicas of the brackets on the outside of our house. We are thrilled with the outcome, but it sure was painful and expensive going through it. good luck to those of you still looking at your own before pictures!

Comments (14)