SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

Pittsburgh Paint - TERRIBLE!!!

aggierose
12 years ago

I just finished painting the interior of my house. I used Benjamim Moore on everything except the dining room. BM was amazing. It covered in just one coat, even covering smaples of colors much darker than the color I was painting with. I used PP on my dining room because I found a color I loved and I was afraid if I color matched it it may not have turned out right. PP required 3 coats. THREE!! And, it still doesn't look good. We definitely have the "picture frame" effect going on because I painted the walls and my husband did the cut ins a few hours later. I realize that painting shouldn't be done that way, but I didn't know that at the time, and, we did the exact same thing with the BM paint and there isn't even a hint of the "picture frame" anywhere else. I can also see roller marks on the PP even after 3 coats. I've never used a paint before that I could see the marks from the roller, even when I painted in college and was too poor to use anything other than the cheapest paint Home Depot sells. I'm so dissapointed with PP and will never use it again! The most dissapointing part of it all is that I paid more for the PP paint than I paid for the BM paint!

Comments (42)

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Couple of ?'s first-

1) What EXACT PPG paint-line were you using?
    2) What color and tint-base was the PPG used?
    3) What exact BM paint-series/colors were used?

>>> "Roller-marks" are 95%-of-the-time caused by technique, and/or cheap equipment! NOT meant as an insult...that's just the way it is...

Faron

• Related Discussions

Porter Paints bought by Pittsburgh Paints?

Q

Comments (12)
    No, creams, light yellows or greens from PPG. I have all BM or SW colors (I often have manufacturers mix up other manufacturers colors for me.) The first time around for painting (right after we bought) I used a great Manor Hall creamy white on a vanity and have kicked myself ever since for not dipping the paint stick and writing the formula on it. (I do that with all my paints now, so I have it on hand.) That was one perfect cream (no hint of yellow or pink undertones) and have had many projects since I would have liked to have that color on. It's held up in the bathroom for 12 years. ;) I just did an entire rental in PPG's mid-level line (well above Lucite quality wise but below Manor Hall), since it's a rental. But I had them mix that paint in a SW color, Softer Tan. The PPG mid-level covers well, but is not quite as thick as BM or the higher end PPG Manor Hall. Manor Hall is thick and rich much like BM. I also have PPG Heliotrope (Manor Hall) in my upstairs bath, a smoky purple. I was worried about that one, because I could not get all the old wallpaper adhesive off, no matter what. But I applied oil-based primer and then the PPG Manor Hall and it's held well for 4+ yrs. The only discernible difference I have seen between BM and Manor Hall is the sheen. I steer towards BM because their sheens are a lower level than others, like PPG and Behr. (I like BMs eggshell because it's nearly matte while PPG egghshell has a hint more sheen to it.) The satin I just used in the rental has a bit more gloss than I prefer, but for rentals is excellent for keeping clean. If you go with PPG, don't be afraid to ask the dealer to mix up another company's color for you. I do that all the time and have no complaints, it's typically a dead ringer!
    ...See More

Any recommendations for Pittsburgh paint colors?

Q

Comments (10)
    I don't know what type of Pittsburgh your painter is using or if you have a say in it. Did a search in the paint forums and found a response by Funcolors (one of our resident paint experts). Posted by funcolors (My Page) on Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 19:21 "Best" grade in SW is usually assumed to be Duration. Duration eggshell has a generous edge of gloss to it. If we pretend that there is a scale for eggshell sheen, Duration eggshell would be plotted on the higher end toward glossiest. Pittsburgh Paints Manor Hall or Manor Hall Timeless are both excellent options out of PPG - gorgeous final finish for both. On the imaginary scale for eggshell, the Manor Halls would be at the opposite end from Duration. They are far less glossy - more like a "matte eggshell" than a glossy one. Both brand's best grades are excellent options at fair price points.
    ...See More

Pittsburgh Paints Sun-Proof Deck Stain

Q

Comments (4)
    i just spoke with a local pittsburgh paint representative about their sun-proof exterior stains.. http://www.pittsburghpaints.com/for_homeowners/stain_projects/index.htm
    ...See More

Has anyone used exterior Pittsburgh Paint ?

Q

Comments (4)
    We used Pittsburgh Paint mixed in a BM color (Sag Harbor Gray) two years ago on our exterior. (It happened to be on sale and the guys at the paint store, where those two brands are sold, suggested it.) We have been very happy so far- we touched up a place that had gotten some driveway sealer on it a couple weeks ago, and were pleasantly surprised to find the original paint hadn't faded at all.
    ...See More
  • aggierose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, as far as tools go, I used rollers recommended by the guy at the BM store and I used the same rollers on all areas. I know I'm no expert painter, but the BM paint turned out great with the way I paint, and I painted the same way and the PP paint looks terrible. I used BM Regal Matte finish, I can't remember what kind PP was, but I think it was Manor timeless flat. I didn't use their top of the line only because they didn't have the finish I wanted in stock, so I had to buy the step down, which the salesguy told me was still very good and not much different from their best.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I was going to mention base coat too. I once fell in love with a color for my bathroom that was kind of expensive. Then I found out that it had its own primer that you had to use first, which was more $$$. I went ahead and spent the money on them and from now on always check to see if there is a colored primer the paint color needs.

• tergar
    12 years ago

Are you the one who was doing the purple dining room? Just thinking that if it is a dark color it might need many coats or a tinted primer underneath. Just a thought, I am sure no expert :)

• aggierose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I am the one who did the purple. The guy at PP said it didn't need a primer. Maybe he was wrong?

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

I went through that with KILZ paint when I listened to Consumer Reports and tried it because it was rated #1 for interior paint a few years ago. The roller marks were terrible and I used good tools. With BM, I don't have that problem.

Now I am concerned about the exterior of our house - we used Pittsburgh Manor Hall. The painters didn't complain but I sure hope it's good paint and will last.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"Are you the one who was doing the purple dining room? Just thinking that if it is a dark color it might need many coats or a tinted primer underneath. "

Yep!
    A dark primer would be in order for a purple dining room.

• marys1000
    12 years ago

I can't remember if I used it a few years ago or just loved some of the colors back then.

I always use a colored primer, 75% of the color I'm going to use so I can see where I painted. I'm just not good enough for one coat, no matter how good the paint.

• hmmmm
    12 years ago

Ugh, I agree with the poor assessment of Pittsburgh paint. I'm not paint picky, and not brand loyal. I painted our laundry room with Pittsburgh and could not get the smell out of the house for days on end. I actually enjoy the smell of fresh paint, but this was awful!

It had a stronger smell than any other paint I have tried, and it was not cheap paint! Never again.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmmm, it does smell wierd! I said the same thing to my husband when we were painting! The smell definitely lasts longer than the smell of BM paint too.

Shouldn't using 3 coats take care of not using a primer? Is there any particular reason why I can still see the marks from the roller?

• Rob Barros
    5 years ago

Concur - Pittsburgh Paints Grand Distinction (Paint & Primer in One) is LOUSY!

Worst paint I have loaded onto a brush EVER! I painted plenty as a trimmer for a construction company back in my college days. This formula feels like liquid plastic while loading a brush. It runs, doesn't cover well, streaks and does not feather well from from brush load to the next (on a factory primed surface)!. Menards is about to hear from me, and I will never buy Pittsburg Paints again!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Whenever you buy paint from a big box store, like Menards, The Home Depot or Lowes, you're getting specially branded paint product for that store.

It's not the same quality and grade that you buy in professional Pittsburgh Paint stores.

To be clear and specific it was the PPG product that Menards sells that didn't work out for you.

• jojo_super77
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yup! I used their paint and primer Grand Distinction semi-gloss in yellow covering tan. Two coats later and it is still streaking. I used their Grand Distinction eggshell, turquoise, in another part of the house and it went on and covered three different colors (in one room!) in one coat. When I went to touch up some skips, the touched up area did not blend with the rest of the wall. What?? I used to use Behr (and am going back to them after this!) and in one room, I had to remove a built in

several (4? 5?) years after the place was painted. Toddled down to Home Depot with the color information, got a quart of it mixed and it hid PERFECTLY. I am going to go down to Home Depot and have this stuff color matched so I can finish my paint job. The crappy semi gloss is in a small vestibule but the adjoining room will be Behr.

• Arapaho-Rd
    5 years ago

Update on PP exterior paint - would never buy again! I got better results with Behr. Yes, Behr.

• jojo_super77
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Got my PP (Grand Distinction, primer and paint) at Menards, too. Never again. The eggshell covered beautifully but touch ups do not blend. When I needed to paint an area on a wall after removing a cabinet in my last house, I was able to take the color name to Home Depot and get a quart of Behr that perfectly matched and blended. Here, same can, next day and I get a huge blotch where the touch up is. I got the same paint, in semi-gloss, two coats including cut in lines and it still needs another coat - or more. And it was yellow going over tan. I am done. I need to do the adjoining room and am getting Behr color matched to the PPG color. I don't need the extra work or aggravation.

• HU-198705660
    5 years ago

Very disappointed in Pittsburgh Grand Distinction paint. It used to go on like butter with very little splatter. Just finished painting a powder room in antique white. The color has a greenish cast that I hope will fade. The application was the worst. It splattered and ran, not at all like when I used it about ten years ago. Menards said they changed the formula, so that it was better. Bull.

• Virginia Scanlon
    4 years ago

I used Pittsburgh exterior paint - it says manufactured by Glidden - beware it is terrible - purchased at Bimart - already put on 2 coats over Kilz! Still not covering! Back to reliable Home Depot to get Behr - always had good luck with Behr.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

Whenever you buy paint from a big box store, like Menards, The Home Depot or Lowes, you're getting specially branded paint product for that store.

It's not the same quality and grade that you buy in professional Pittsburgh Paint stores.

Look for PPG's Timeless, Manor Hall, Diamond, Break Through and Gripper.

• myphotoshoot
    4 years ago

I just did a 2 room addition on my home and bought Pittsburgh ultra Satin for the walls and ceiling flat primed the walls and used the ultra/ceiling that also has primer we had the same painter that did our other rooms he has put 3 coats on and it still looks bad especially the ceiling paint our others rooms were done by behr and valspar only took 1 coat and they still look better 15 years later I was going to repaint the entire house but I will not be using Pittsburgh

• Ginger Linus
    4 years ago

After extensive research, I've learned that designers select Pittsburg Paint colors because of the precision of shades within a palette. However, they have those colors formulated in Benjamin Moore paint because of the quality of the pigments, paint formulation and coverage.

If any color is formulated in a cheaper grade of paint, the quality of the job will suffer.

My entire first floor living area will be painted in the Pittsburgh Paint color "Moth Gray," which is a beautiful warm beige gray...it will be made with Benjamin Moore Regal matte, though.

Moth Gray PPG 1024-4

https://www.ppgpaints.com/color/color-families/neutrals/moth-gray

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

After extensive research, I've learned that designers select Pittsburg Paint colors because of the precision of shades within a palette.

PPG uses the exact same color system and color space as every other brand to formulate the formulas.

They all use the same vendors, Duha Group, Dorn, or Colwell, to create their color collateral like fandecks and paint chips as well.

The PPG color collection is no more/no less precise in terms of shades than any other paint brand.

• Heidi Crist
    4 years ago

I am surprised at the negative feedback for PP. I always use the Paramount PP and it is the best I've used, especially for the price. BM was terrible for me as far as coverage. I also like Behr but now prefer Paramount PP. I have been able to cover with one coat roll and two coats for cutting in, consistently.

• Linda Crockett
    3 years ago

I just painted my house inside with Pittsburgh paint and it's horrible. I should have stuck with Benjamin Moore. With Pittsburgh went over three times and still see streaks and roller marks. I hate this paint.

• Sheila Jaworski
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

i have had a painting business for over 25+ years and we have used dutchboy, behr and this year i decided to do my own bedroom in 1950's teal, i used dutch boy for another house and it took two coats, i wanted the dutch boy but i was suggested to use ppg NEVER AGAIN! i am sorry but those who say it is the tools think of me i have spent thousands on my tools and have been painting professionally for years! the paint goes on like glue, is thick and regardless if it has primer in it which it does. it should NEVER go on streaky, show roller marks ect. worthless paint. period!!! Now i have to sand down a wall that had no imperfections in it and find another paint in the same color and use that. worst is, it is HIGH GLOSS! the sanding will take two days!!!!!!!!

• HU-993820014
    3 years ago

Doing a brand new house with level five finish using paramount. I sprayed the main ceiling 3 times now and looks horrible. Had someone back rolling for me and im not happy at all with this paint. I’ve been painting for 17 years and sprayed thousands of gallons of paint. I’ve never had this problem before. It’s a flat white paint so not sure why it looks so bad but I’ll never use it again. Dont waste your time or money

• Chris Radke
    2 years ago

Just painted my mobile home with PPG from Menards and this stuff is garbage. the smallest thing bumps it and it scrapes off, the bright white i used for the ceiling took 3 coats and still didnt cover well. Crap is like water too when applying it. Never again will i purchase this.

• M. Cameron O'Dell
    2 years ago

If you want "cover over" there is nothing better than Sherwin William Emerald series. PPG is a $20 can compared to your $42 can of Benjamin Moore, why you ever thought they would perform the same is beyond me. PPG definitely needs a primer. I like Sherwin William Emerald over Benjamin Moore because it is significantly less prone to scuffing marks and easier to clean

• HU-39431992
    2 years ago

Recently used PPG internal paint (flat) base tinted one (1) coat coverage on newly primed (with Glidden primer). Paint did not cover in one coat like they said it would. Contacted PPG rep and sent iPhone photos. Rep said these were "misses" and just touch them up.... In 21 feet of wall paint, I had about 10 OF THESE MISSES..

I would NOT recommend PPG /Glidden products in any way , shape , or form..... or you will be painting twice and/or touching up a bunch

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 years ago

It all depends on where you bought it and the grade of paint purchased.

For example, PPG's Pure Performance in eggshell is one of my favorites to specify. Because it's not shiny for an eggshell sheen and it's a good value for about $45 a gallon.

One coat coverage is a marketing term that essentially means nothing.

Because how well a coat of paint hides depends a lot on the color.

Many colors of white requires 3 coats - and that's if you're using a top tier grade of paint. Could be more in a cheaper grade.

• HU-464286693
    2 years ago

Wait a minute. You painted the wall and then did cut-ins hours later? The proper technique is to do the cut in work and then, while the paint is still wet, to roll the wall and roll into the cut in area to blend them. That could have contributed to your issue.

• Mary Sullivan
    2 years ago

Pittsburg paint stinks. NEVER again. Talk about bubbles — and this was done in a cool room during winter. I can’t tell you the ‘fixes’ I have had to do to fix the bubbles. Hours and hours of work. I agree with a previous comment, it is like liquid plastic.

And the comments about buying from Menards and a Pittsburg store….. no difference. I’ve had the same problem from both stores. All trash.

• ilgaj
    2 years ago

I’ve used Pittsburg paints for years and loved it. I even used it earlier this year with no problem. However, this month (December) I bought some Grand Distinction and it was awful. Tried 3 coats to get the paint on even. Ended up having to skim coat the wall and start over Menards gave us no problem on returning the paint. We purchased Pittsburg ceiling paint at the same time and there haven’t been any issues with that at all.

• lawsonch19
    2 years ago

I stick with Sherwin Williams. Great paints and fairly frequenbt 30% off sales.

• Jerrod York
    2 years ago

You admit to using improper technique, then blame the paint? Did you roll from ceiling to floor while still having a wet edge? That's how you avoid roller marks. I just used PP Exterior fast and sloppy outside in 40 degree weather, and my boards look great. I'd say user error on this one. I did 2 coats on unprimed bare wood and it looks perfect.

• HU-257566998
    2 years ago

I went to Menards off of 72nd & L st on January 7, 2022 here in Omaha. I saw the PP Metalic line of paint and inquired about it. The manager and 2 others that were working mixed me up a gallon and told me how awesome it looked when they brought it to me. I asked if I needed any special brushes or rollers and was told I did not. I came home and prepared my walls (cleaning and later applying primer) in my office for painting the next day, January 8, 2022. I applied my base coat and after a few hours started painting. This all began at 5:30 AM. My office is a very small space and it took 1/2 gallon for one wall. It still looked terrible. I ended up looking at videos and reading on different forums. Every one giving different directions. I went back to Menards where I had to purchase another gallon of the same paint and actually buy sponges and a faux sponge roller. I asked the guys that were working about all of this and they informed me that they had absolutely no knowledge about this particular paint. They said they haven’t had it in very long and that the representatives from Pittsburg Paint have never sent anyone out to give them any information about their product. This is a complete fail on Pittsburg Paints and Menards. You shouldn’t have a product on your shelves if you have absolutely no knowledge about that product and the Representatives from PP should be ashamed of themselves as well for not giving the proper information to the companies they sell it to. I own my own business and I deal with Chemicals on a daily basis. I took classes in order to do my job correctly. Lesson learned. Don’t purchase paint from Menards or Pittsburg Paints ever again.

• HU-257566998
    2 years ago

I went to Menards off of 72nd & L st on January 7, 2022 here in Omaha. I saw the PP Metalic line of paint and inquired about it. The manager and 2 others that were working mixed me up a gallon and told me how awesome it looked when they brought it to me. I asked if I needed any special brushes or rollers and was told I did not. I came home and prepared my walls (cleaning and later applying primer) in my office for painting the next day, January 8, 2022. I applied my base coat and after a few hours started painting. This all began at 5:30 AM. My office is a very small space and it took 1/2 gallon for one wall. It still looked terrible. I ended up looking at videos and reading on different forums. Every one giving different directions. I went back to Menards where I had to purchase another gallon of the same paint and actually buy sponges and a faux sponge roller. I asked the guys that were working about all of this and they informed me that they had absolutely no knowledge about this particular paint. They said they haven’t had it in very long and that the representatives from Pittsburgh Paint have never sent anyone out to give them any information about their product. This is a complete fail on Pittsburgh Paints and Menards. You shouldn’t have a product on your shelves if you have absolutely no knowledge about that product and the Representatives from PP should be ashamed of themselves as well for not giving the proper information to the companies they sell it to. I own my own business and I deal with Chemicals on a daily basis. I took classes in order to do my job correctly. Lesson learned. Don’t purchase paint from Menards or Pittsburgh Paints ever again.

• krattski
    2 years ago

Pittsburg Paramount Paint is absolute garbage, streaky, does not cover well and if you happen to put any masking tape on it, it just peels off with the tape and letting the paint dry 1 week.

I have painted my whole life and this is worst ever.

Never buying Pittsburg garbage paint again.

• Mary Sullivan
    2 years ago

Yep, I’ve had the masking tape problem too. Peels right off!!! Also, besides the horrific bubble problem, if you paint with the roller and want to touch up a spot after a few minutes, the paint just peels off on your roller. I’ve had to totally remove all the paint from the wall, let things dry and paint again. Total nightmare.

Complete trash product. I agree, they should be ashamed of themselves. Come on, do they not have any dignity? Obviously not.

Never, never, NEVER again.

BEWARE of this pathetic product. It will quadruple your work time, if not more.

• HU-76024968
    2 years ago

We used Pittsburgh paint through our entire house and if I wipe a finger print off or any kind of mark you can see it!! It looks terrible! I would not recommend this paint !!

• HU-308636618
    last year

You did it in 3 coats?!

You got lucky. took me 5 coats. I went through half a 5gal tub for a bedroom and a bathroom. Worst paint ever. Very watered down. Going back to Behr & Sherwin Williams

• MarJoWag
    5 months ago

We used PP on our metal front entry door. The sun heats it up & smells so bad!! It gives me a headache!! I hope that awful smell goes away! We will go back to the Behr paint next time.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations