SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie35_gw

Ceramic Subway Tiles? Only for Bathrooms?

Laurie35
12 years ago

The tile guy disagrees with my tile choice.

I am remodeling my very tiny galley kitchen (7.5' wide by 10' long) in my very tiny 1950s bungalow. My goal, after increasing functionality, is to make the kitchen appear as large and brightly lit as possible and to emphasize that it gets lots of natural light. The floor will be 1 1/2" white oak, which matches the rest of the house. The countertop will be Saint Cecelia Light granite; the cabinets will be painted white; the appliances are stainless steel. There will be under-cabinet lighting

From the first, I thought that I wanted white, cream or biscuit colored porcelain subway tiles, probably crackled, as a backsplash. I don't want my backsplash to stick out as a focal point at all; I think the kitchen is too narrow. Since the kitchen does get a lot of natural light, I thought glossy porcelain subways would pick this up. I also have porcelain tiles in the bathroom, and in a house this small, having them in the kitchen seemed to pull the new remodel together with the older bathroom remodel.

I met today with a representative from the tile store, however. He did not agree. He said that very few people were using ceramic tiles in the kitchen anymore, and that they were mostly reserved for the bathroom. He also said that he thought it would look incongruous to have so many natural elements in the kitchen -- the wood floor, the granite countertop, the painted wood cabinets -- and then introduce something like ceramic tiles. He strongly encouraged me to consider subway tiles in Travertine. (He also didn't recommend glass tiles, which he thought would look too modern and busy for my space.) BTW, it isn't a price thing here; because my kitchen is so small, the price differential isn't really a consideration.

I don't want someone walking into my kitchen and saying, "Why did she put bathroom tile on a kitchen wall?" I personally have never had this reaction, but I have walked into kitchens and thought that about flooring choices. Is this a real concern here or was my tile guy just enamoured with Travertine?

I searched and saw lots of examples on this site of persons who have used ceramic tiles as a backsplash. Are you happy with your decision?

Do those of you who see them in other remodels ask why a natural stone wasn't used instead? Would any of you suggest an alternative that I should consider?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH