SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

Surprise bedroom makeover for mom...

maggiepie11
15 years ago

First, I should say I've been posting again the past couple days, but I was a regular on the forum a year+ ago while we were building our house. I lived on these boards and got so much great advice!

So this is a huge undertaking and I need help!

My parents finished remodeling their entire house about 6 months ago. Everything is new except the walls and even those got updated by removing the wallpaper and getting some great paint colors. The only problem is my mom's bedroom--she likes the paint color but hated everything she bought to go in the room and she's VERY cheap with herself (though generous with others) so she won't get around to trying again for a while. She decided that style she tried wasn't her thing and got rid of everything and has an old tattered bedspread and some white sheers in there now. She doesn't even have a headboard.

They're going on vacation for a week at the end of January, so my husband and I are going to re-do her bedroom as a big surprise kind of like that old "while you were gone" show on TLC without the cameras or designer help or hot carpenter. :)

I've been buying stuff for the past month or so and have a really good start and I've been photoshopping as I go because I only have that one week to get it perfect. I do have some specific concern areas in the room that I hope you can help me with, and *gulp* am open to thoughts on improving what I have. haha Just be gentle because this is in the spirit of doing something nice for mom.

The major projects we're tackling are mounting the flat screen tv to the wall and hiding the wires behind the wall, as well as adding beadboard wainscotting to the walls about 36" up. She really likes the new paint color so I'm keeping it but using the beadboard to brighten up the space. Also I should mention the purple isn't as saturated and bright as it looks in some of the pics below--it's actually a very muted gray purple but the flash is messing with it.

I bought the headboard already. I've bought new bedding and decorative pillows/shams etc. I bought the window treatments, and a few accessories. I'll be adding a second nightstand on the far side of the bed. Right now there's only one.

My big question mark is what to do in the empty corner by the windows. I had it in my head that I'd put a cozy chair over there, and I know she'd love to have one, but there's just not enough room. Then I thought a really beautiful painted pedestal table accessorized perfectly, but the table would probably be the same height as the dresser, so then it's just one continuous line of furniture surface with "stuff" on it. Then I thought a substantial indoor tree like a corn cane or something like that. Any ideas?

My other concern is how to decorate the wall that the bed is on. One photo (or something) on the wall above each nightstand? That plus something centered over the headboard? Skip the stuff over the nightstand and do 3 evenly spaced photos over the headboard?

I'd love to get either a money tree or some bamboo in there as well for feng shui purposes as it's in the wealth/prosperity gua for you chi people. :) I also have some beautiful black and white photos of castles picked out to incorporate somewhere--either on the bed wall or hanging by the tv.

Ok, here are all the pictures. I'd love any help I can get! Thanks...

Room as it is now:

Photoshop makeover (so far):

Comments (38)

• graywings123
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If a chair will not work in front of the window, then leave the area empty.

• neesie
    15 years ago

I love her chenille bedspread! If it goes, can I have it?

Love the lavendar color on the walls and your idea to incorporate castle pictures. Your mom is going to love it!

• Related Discussions

Bedroom Mini Make-over Complete (pics)

Q

Comments (30)
    I think the addition of the stripe might not be approved by DS. I think it might take it that one step beyond looking pulled together and looking "decorated". But I will let him choose when he returns next week. He hasn't seen the room finished. Even though he chose the individual elements and has seen the room painted, he hasn't seen everything in the room. I offered photos but he wants to be surprised. That's why I haven't ironed the duvet yet, just in case he hates it in person. I went to the fabric store today to pick up some options. I found a gray linen that is very close to the background color of the drapes and would work the best if I added stripes. I also picked up a heavy matelasse type of fabric per a couple suggestions above. This one is the wall color and has a little circle theme. Yeah I know....i'm supposed to be moving away from that but I think it could be a contender as it's rather subtle. I picked up one other that I'm not sure how to explain but I don't really like. I also purchased a 1/2 yard of charcoal silk to use to make cording for the pillows and decided to see how that would work so I'm attaching photos for your thoughts. charcoal silk...I like the contrast with everything else and since I am using it to edge the throw pillows made out of the circle fabric, it would tie in. Unfortunately, they are rather stingy with their samples and have a minimum 1/2 yard purchase requirement... I couldn't find anything heavy except the circle fabric. The linen is rather "stiff" though and would hold a box pleat really well.
    ...See More

bedroom makeover

Q

Comments (25)
    My wife was so happy that she screamed very loud when she entered the room and she started crying ! She became speechless and she made me cry! That was so emotional ! I caught her reaction on camera ! That was something ! Nice gift for her birthday/ New Years / !- here is a picture of her seating on the bed looking everywhere !
    ...See More

Weird Master Bedroom Project for Mom - Please Help!

Q

Comments (7)
    Adding French Toile bedding would also finish the look.: https://www.jcpenney.com/p/toile-garden-quilt/1b0ed37?pTmplType=regular&country=US&currency=USD&selectedSKUId=72163010026&selectedLotId=7216301&fromBag=true&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=bingshopping&utm_campaign=quilts&utm_content=72163010026&cid=cse|bing|004%20%2d%20home%20furn%20leisure|quilts_72163010026&kwid=bingproductads-adid^78546417191974-device^c-plaid^4582145990574511-sku^72163010026@ADL10BMC-adType^PLA
    ...See More

Finishing touches on bedroom makeover

Q

Comments (29)
    Thanks for your input flo, I was not needing input on my wood wall but nice of you to share your opinion. The reason I did not do the window wall is because it would have required a great deal of extra time to make it work around the Windows. As you can see its cased in drywall, I could not just go over the drywall with the wood, I would have had to rip the drywall back etc. I am a stay at home mom who enjoy small Reno projects and not an interior designer or contractor. There was a large crack in the drywall on the wall I did in wood,, so for me it made sense to pick this wall to cover. I love my room and how it turned out, simply looking for some others to share some ideas of wall decor not diss what I have done. As I mentioned above in my original post the doors are still yet to be changed and will no longer be wood.
    ...See More
  • maggiepie11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol neesie! her chenille bedspread has many years of puppy footprints and it's worn thin in spots where there will soon be holes. :) I guess that's a sign of a loved bedspread.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

The new white bedding is pretty (altho' the chenille has retro appeal too), and I like the pale celadon accent color for lamps and throw.

In the interest of saving money, and keeping things simple, I would perhaps not use the valances or the throw pillows. You said a chair won't fit -- would a bench?

Be careful not to hang the TV too high, since it probably will be viewed while reclining. If there is any possibility that the bed position could change, you might not want to mount the TV on the wall.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mjlb... i already bought the pillows and the valances... do you think it's overkill? i guess i'll have to play it by ear once i get everything in the room. she loves a beautifully made up window, and i'm a sucker for pillows, but i'm glad you brought it up to make sure i don't overindulge. :)

re: the location of the bed, i wish the bed could move. in fact, i'd prefer to move it to make it more of a focal point, but they bought a king size bed and it's not a king size room so that's the only wall it fits on. we're going to try to mount the tv at exactly the same tilt and height it's currently at because they seem to like it. They actually have it propped up a little bit now.

Definitely no room for a bench. It's about a 30" square I have in the corner, and I'd want to keep it smaller than that so it doesn't crowd the walkway to the far side of the bed or the dresser.

I hadn't considered leaving it empty oddly enough. haha

what do you think about leaving the tv wall with just the tv and using those 3 photos above the headboard? I was thinking I could get some decorative hooks, and hang the frames on the hooks with ribbon like so:

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Very nice thing you're doing for your mom. Since I don't know her taste, I can only comment if the room were for me...

I'd prefer tranquil, so nothing at all above headboard, and no ornate mirror on wall. No white paneling, but maybe a chair rail in white. I love all the lamps, especially if one is just right as a 'TV lamp'. The castle photos sound lovely, but if they do not have a personal connection to your mom (or dad), I'd try to find something that does. Sometimes photos that you've taken yourself look great when converted to B&W. If there's budget remaining, and it's something your mom would use, I'd add a beautiful fluffy white bathrobe or bath towels.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I prefer the pictures over the bed, but I'd like to see see them in a bit fancier frame given the mirror's high level of detail...is that an option? (I also love the soft gold on the lavendar wall).

I don't like the valances on the windows myself, but then I hate valances. I'd rather see you trim out the edges of the sheers with the pretty color you have on the valance...are you handy at all?

Now for that beloved bedspread...is there enough to make a teddy bear or a bolster pillow, just to remember such a wonderful piece??? I'd even trim it in the lavendar in a silk or something and make a big chunky square pillow...it's nice to have different textures in a room and that's such a "sweet memory" texture for so many of us.

I have my tv at about 6' and it works great laying down. I'm sure your height will be fine, but I actually like the highboy they had in there...it's a more elegant looking piece...

You're making a beautiful room!

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oooh! now we're talking! igloochic, i am handy indeed! :) my mom loves valances though.

i'm loving the idea of making something out of her old bedspread--i think i just might wait until she comes back and likes the room just in case she doesn't like the new bedding and then i've cut up her old faithful in pieces. haha

the fancier frames are definitely an option, but i was afraid to over-do the ornateness. i thought maybe just an ornate hook with a simpler frame would be good. i have the black frames already, but maybe i'll pick up some fancier ones and try both ways.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

The best kind of person -- a handy person! You could do a pelmet instead of valance for window. You could really goose up the window treatment with trim, contrasting lining, holdbacks, etc.

I prefer the highboy, too, but assumed you just switched where it is in the room?

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes, just swapped the position of the dresser and the highboy. i don't have any photos of that side of the room.

the low dresser is prettier from the front view than it is from the side which is what you see where it is now.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I think what you're doing is absolutely wonderful and I commend you and your husband. I'm sure your mother will be so touched and delighted. I'm sorry, I also don't care for the valances, in part because they're so shiny and don't have straight edges, but I'm sure you know your mother's taste best. I do think black picture frames against a dark wall color are somber, especially since you have a gold frame on an adjoining wall. Hanging pictures up with ribbons was very "in" some time ago but is seldom seen now, and mainly goes with an English country house opulent style of decor. I think a green plant would introduce a warm color into this primarily cool room and is therefore a great idea. Please be sure to post pictures when everything is completed; I know it's going to be beautiful.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I love what you have planned. I love the slightly eclectic mix, the beadboard, the ornate frame, the modern headboard. I don't like the valances. They are rather a rather formal look for the other casual offerings. I know that older women seem to like valances on windows and your mother may not feel the windows are "finished" without them. Maybe something not gathered or scalloped, but just fabric, plain and boxy with an inverted pleat? And also valances that match the walls rather than contrast with it so they don't stick out so much and distract from the nice features of the other decor.

You really have made some nice choices and it looks great. Do keep us posted.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Do you have any family photos you could enlarge for over the bed? Maybe even their wedding picture and I love a sepia tone in a dark brown frame which would work off the headboard color but that's my taste and you're the best judge of your Mom's taste. I love the pillows and accents. No matter what you do, your Mom will be thrilled to pieces. She's going to be soo proud of you!!!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    15 years ago

To me the beadboard seems too "cottage-y" for the rest of the room. The headboard and accessories seem elegant and I think you lose some of the contrast of the bedding with the lower half of the room being white also. Just my 2 cents worth!

• frazoo
    15 years ago

Is there room for a corner chair? I googled and found several on ebay. Also, here are some more examples....

Here is a link that might be useful: corner chair options....

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Very nice headboard, is it possible to mount it higher so the pillows don't hide it? Maybe a bolster covered in the old chenille. Living in earthquake territory, I personally do not like pictures over my head, and I've noticed how much I appreciate hotels that put nice big pictures to enjoy while laying in bed. Behind me with a blank wall in view make no sence to me. The headboard mounted the height of the fabulous mirror so the shams and pillow hide the bolster, not the headboard would, I think be all that wall space needs. I see your valances as going nicely with the bedding. The castle pictures I'm wondering if there is a narrow spot they could hang virtically?

• hhireno
    15 years ago

She'll need somewhere to put all those pillows, each & every time she gets into bed (can you tell I'm not a fan of the multiple pillow look?), so a small chair/bench/basket in that corner could serve that purpose.

The only thing I remember reading about feng shui decorating is you shouldn't have family photos in your bedroom. I don't want to be too graphic (especially since it's your mother we're taking about!) but many people have an activity other than sleeping that often occurs in a bedroom and your ancestors shouldn't have to watch it. I know, ewww, right??? So I vote for no family photos as art work.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Love the purple walls. A;so love white, purple, green, black accents combination which I did previously in my Princess Room.
    old house

present house

I am donating the bed to charity now but keeping my art which I will use in a different way,

How about a sheer green or lilac scarf draped over the top of white curtain? The one in picture #1 I had purchased at linens & Things. The large print I think I ordered from art.com

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

You are an amazing daughter. Your Mom is a very lucky woman.

Thats all I have to say!

Haley

• booboo60
    15 years ago

I agree with ''haley comet" ; it is sooo wonderful of you to do this for your Mom and she will love whatever you do!! I would do whatever you know she would enjoy!

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

aww, thanks guys! she's a far more amazing mom than i am a daughter. :)

but back to business--all the talk about the window treatments really made me re-consider. I'm ordering a second option and will see which works best in the space. Option two is a pair of floor length panels in a creamy white and "seamist" stripe. They're not shiny! :) These are very elegant looking so I think they'd update her look but still be elaborate enough to make her feel like she's got a dressy window.

also, i just scored the best deal on 2 matching lamps from TJ Maxx. They were a gross color, so I've already painted them with my leftover RH Silver Sage paint. They have beautiful soft gold colored silk shades! $20 each on clearance!

I'm also reconsidering the beadboard. While I know she loves beadboard, it does seem a bit off with all the ornate stuff going into the room. Plus the permanence of it scares me just in case dad doesn't like it! Instead, I think I might "correct" her paint color which looks about 3 shades darker in her room than expected because of the bad lighting. I have this purple color in my living room and it doesn't even look like the same color. So I might just repaint it a few shades lighter.

i've photoshopped some of the updates and options. what do you think? Beadboard, paint shade, and window treatments especially!

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I like the new drapes. Would you choose the same color and add white to it? Or use a shade from same card? I like the lamps too. The no beadboard is a good idea. Looking good!!

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

Are the valances the same silk as the pillows? I like the teal/lavender intermixed. I'd keep a fancier valance with the sheers if your Mom is into fancy window treatments. the last photoshop of the panels looks too contemporary to me.

I think she will be so excited to see it when she gets back!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I love the color scheme. But then, I'm highly partial to purple and green.

Hubby and I both loved the look with the beadboard. I may even steal tht for our own bedroom. I thought that you said your mom was happy with the color? If so, I wouldn't go changing it - at least not for a surprise makeover.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

You know your mother's taste and style, and that is all that matters. We do not want to make the room contemporary if she likes it more old fashion. I thought the ornate mirror looked beautiful and the three frames in your last shot would compliment with the mirror. It is only your mother's taste that count here for your gift to be all hers.
    It isn't her gift if she feels obligated to live with our gardenweb style. Your first instincts were probably correct, don't let us talk you into another direction.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

caroleoh, i was afraid someone would mention that about the window panels! i just had a tiny swatch of the panel fabric on my computer and stretched it out in a rectangle to simulate the look of panels. the panels are actually rather fancy so i'm not worried about them being too contemporary. :)

here's a picture of the actual panels--i would not do the cream ascot valances or any other valances--just the panels you can kind of see tucked in the back here:

pbrisijar... my mom loves the color in my house but hates that it makes her room dark which is why i was originally thinking the beadboard would brighten it up a lot. she already has white bedding and just white sheers on the windows...

any other ideas how else i could brighten up the room aside from lightening the paint or adding white beadboard? (don't say lamps!) do you think white crown molding would brighten it up at all?

i think i must have misguided everyone here into thinking my mom has completely "old nana" taste. :) the rest of her house has been re-done in a very clean, contemporary style so I'm not too worried about mixing some contemporary in her bedroom. i don't want it too contemporary or too frilly--need to find a good balance.

i came to you for help, so don't be afraid to talk me out of bad ideas. :)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Sorry if I misunderstood, just wanted to be careful. I think the crown molding would look fabulous, maybe even dropped a bit to hide LED uplighting for tv/night or gloomy day lighting. With Beadboard for more period,without more contempory.

• budge1
    15 years ago

I love what you have so far - except the beadboard. I think it is going to look too fussy. I'd add the elements you have to see what it's going to look like and if you really feel it needs the beadboard then do it. But I don't think you're going to want it when you see how nice it looks without.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I love the teal and the gold accents you have planned to mix in with the purple. I wouldn't paint the walls. I liked the beadboard but I like even better the idea of some nice crown molding. I think that will dress up the room and is always classic and would definitely give it some polish! Great idea :-)

The pictures arranged around the tv bother me. I like the tv hanging alone with just some pretty things with height on each end of the dresser. I like the idea of hanging the 3 pictures over the bed with decorative hooks too. Or you could use some decorative tieback posts to hang them from. I vote for a pretty plant in the corner, or a plant stand with a plant on it.

What a wonderful idea to do this for her. I bet you're excited and she'll love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tie back post

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Another idea instead of the beadboard, reverse putting the white above using crown picture molding,(makes painting a breeze, no line to cut in) I think it is typically a foot down from the ceiling, with or without uplighting. This also give her no-holes easily movable pictures anytime with out touching the walls.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Ah, gotcha. In that case I'd vote a yes on some nice, thick bright white crown moulding with some uplights (could just be simple rope lights.

I do like the beadboard but that's my tastes.

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

IF it was my room, I'd change out the bedskirt to an aqua color-to ground it more. In fact-I'd purchase a bedspread that has some design in it or a solid in a deeper color than the walls or one of the pillow colors. You could always make a 'throw from her original spread & maybe make the bedskirt from the existing spread. If the mirror is a given..maybe add some gold accents on the nightstand/dresser? Does the gold mirror exist now or are you buying one? Methinks the 3 small prints aren't in scale with the large gold mirror. I noticed a floor mirror in one pic...does she really need 2 mirrors in the room?
    I'd also change out the lamps on the dresser & go for 2 of the 'buffet sty;e lamps. They'd add some height to that side of the room. Also-consider perhaps adding swag lights over each nightstand, instead of table lamps. I seem to think 3 larger prints (in the pretty colors you've chose) or even a wallhanging (on a pole that matches her nightstands) above the headboard would add some nice drama to the room...maybe no frames at all?
    A pretty tall floor plant in a big ceramic pot in one of the room's colors-placed in the window corner would breathe some life into the room. Yea on the crown molding! As for the headboard..I'd probably change it out for a taller one that matches her dresser & bureau. Just another opinion.
    Lastly-maybe think about losing the valances and get the nice woven blinds then hang drapery panels on each side-in one of the room's colors.
    Whatever your selections....your mom will be blown away when she returns home! Way to go!

• msrose
    15 years ago

I like the curtains better than the valances and I like the idea of crown moulding over the beadboard. If you really think she would like the beadboard, you could tell her afterwards that you had planned on doing it, but you weren't sure how your dad would feel about it. If she likes the idea, you could add it then.

Laurie

• estreya
    15 years ago

Well, i can be a half bubble left of plum when it comes to decorating matters, but i really like the updated version of the room. The color and feel are tranquil, the more "linear" lines sophisticated, and the bit of texture/pattern on the lamps is a nice compliment to the bedding. I would put a plant in somewhere because i like to always have a plant in the bedroom, but beyond that, i really love it just as you've put it together.

Oh, and i love the idea of making something out of the original bedspread once you know she will no longer be using it. :)

• mjlb
    15 years ago

I think your updated room looks great! (Well, I'd lose the throw pillows, but that's just me...)

Drapes look great. But if you can stand to photoshop another alternative, I wonder how it would look with the two center panels tied back together, with each end panel tied back.

• OKMoreh
    15 years ago

If you like the idea of a chair in the corner (and I do), but there's not room for an overstuffed chair, there is probably room for a small chair with an upholstered seat and back:

I'm not recommending that specific chair, but it's only about 22.5 inches in each direction.

• ideamom
    15 years ago

It looks better without the valances. The valances date the bedroom. It looks so much cleaner & classic without the window valances..in my opinion.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Here is an example of the picture rail with the wall/ceiling painted the same down to the rail.
    {{gwi:1609808}}
    This example shows crown molding and the picture rail plus a border.
    {{gwi:1900987}}
    I have read the picture rails were about 8 inches but when decorative borders became popular they dropped to even 24 inches.
    I personally like the clean simplicity of only the dropped picture rail. Seems the height is often defined by the top of the windows as seen in the first example.
    In the correct setting the ceiling crown molding AND the dropped picture rail certainly work even with the border, but its a much fussier victorian look.
    Uplighting behind the picture rail works for both.
    Beadboard is multiple interest to take in down low unless it is dark to blend with furniture. A deep dropped ceiling adds a singular intrest above thats serene. It also gives the feeling of more space making the ceiling feel higher.
    Hope this helps.