SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

sitting space, rug okay, but now a chair question

susanwrites
13 years ago

So we go the new rug and the pad down and I do like the rug a lot. I didn't want one to compete with the strong rug in the dining room.

But as we put the chairs back in place hubby said something about the space "bugged" him. First he said he wanted just the loveseat and no chairs. I told him it wouldn't be much of a conversation place with no chairs. Then I suggested one and he liked that. So here are pictures of it both ways. I don't even want to think about what I would do with an extra brand-new Chloe chair. Sigh.

And I can see his point. With both chairs the space is a big cut off from the kitchen. With just the one chair, it feels more open.

If we only did the one chair I suppose I would then have room for an ottoman like I wanted originally.

Thoughts?

Comments (54)

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Well, clearly, the best solution is to send the offending chair to me! Seriously, I adore the chairs, but ended up buying mine in a red patterned fabric. A green one would be nice, too. Pack it up, send it off, and be done with it! And throw in that little lyre shaped table while you're at it!

Seriously, I just don't know what else to say. I feel your frustration over this. You've been working so hard all over the house, it's all coming together, you've bought all of the stuff, and now...Ugh!

I do kind of agree though. Sorry. I like the look of both chairs, but I like just one better. And this, coming from the Queen of Pairs. I do love my symmetry!

Is there another place anywhere in the house the second chair could go? The red library? A corner of a bedroom? I suppose if there's just no where at all for it to go, there's always Craig's List, but...ouch!

That whole area is going to be so pretty with that art and some lamps, that I can just see it!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Have you tried two chairs without the sofa?

• Related Discussions

Okay, now I am worrying too much!

Q

Comments (22)
    In this 4Â X 3Â X 2Â box there are a gazillion mites. There is not enough melon or bread in NC to bribe, lure or entice these stupid mites out of that box. Sometimes I stare at the surface of the compost because it looks like something alive. It moves with a sparkly, shimmery reddish tint that is like performance art. Just under the surface, the BSFLs and the EFs are busily doing their thing. This activity causes the surface to ripple and pulse. And the mites are always on the move in a chaotic traffic jam of microscopic proportions. Why do they travel, what could they hope to gain in a box of crap? Is there some positional advantage to be achieved? These are not just surface dwellers. If I turn over material in any place in the box, there are mites. Each individual mite is different from the bazillion other mites, but all are the same. All these mites are randomly careening around without a clue where they are or where they are going. These guys live here. A megabagazillion mites, several hundred of BSFLs and about 10 lbs of EFs apparently get along well enough to share a box in the garage. I add cardboard, cow manure and table scraps and I pay the light bill. I also get to watch this other world sometimes.
    ...See More

I impulse-bought a new sofa - now what? + leather care questions

Q

Comments (4)
    Pretty sofa! And that is a small room. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on layout. I struggle with that myself. I'm definitely challenged in the decorating department. I'm sure others will help you out. As far as cleaning your leather, there are many online resources that can help you. First of all you need to know what grade of leather you have. Full grain would be the top of the line, with varying grades down to bicast leather. Have you tried calling this company you linked to see what grade this is? Is there a tag on the furniture? I have had a full grain leather sofa, love seat. chair, and ottoman for about 20 years and it looks better now than when I bought it. (yeah, I know...matchey-matchey is a no-no) They say you shouldn't have full grain with children, but we have pets and grandchildren, and we have not been especially careful with it. Our leather furniture is not shiney, and is super soft. LOVE IT! The most comfortable seating ever! I clean with mild soap and water if something gets spilled, and occasionally rub it down with saddle soap. Don't know if that's an approved cleaning method, but it looks great after all these years. Here is a link that might be useful: How to clean leather furniture
    ...See More

rug help for in the new sitting area?

Q

Comments (19)
    Oakleyok, thanks on the chair. I'm so excited for them to get here. (Tuesday!) Could be on the lamps and ambiance but we have the chandelier and the overheads and dimmers. We use the dimmed lights as nightlights all the time. I told hubby I could put a tree behind the angled couch but so far he's not a fan. We'll see what I can play with. I'll look and see if I can find some reddish ottomans that aren't too big. The library is one step down from the sitting area and the room is painted red so I do want to draw a bit more of the red up to the sitting room. Here's the floor that I hope is going in soon - whenever the darn moldings show up. It's EcoTimber Woven Strand bamboo.
    ...See More

Sitting Room Chair Placement Question (Pics)

Q

Comments (19)
    I would place the two chairs a little closer together semi facing the FP as well as facing each other. The little round table placed on the left side of the chair (if your sitting in the chair) and a smaller square table on the left of the other chair (if tour sitting on the chair) Place a couple of your favorite books that you like to read on these tables. I have a small little table next to my chair in my family room with my favorite books and it, (it also serves as a landing place for my tea cup) In the right corner a small writing desk and chair placed ca-ti corner so that you can glance out the window. On the big wall on the left, two tall large bookcases. I say bookcase because it's so much neater looking than book shelves. Also a small square-ish table in front of the chairs for games, etc. The side-boad, would you consider painting it darker? Perhaps you can place it on the wall between the two bookcases. It looks like you have a couple of small tables in there to use as props, to see if you like my table suggestions. Love the chairs, they are so rich looking as well as the little round table, that's why I see dark furniture, and bookcases in there. Joann
    ...See More
  • susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

palm, no, haven't tried it with just the two chairs. How/where would you place them?

franksmom, thanks for the laugh. I needed that right about now. And thanks for the sympathy because I needed that even more. It's soooo close! Between you and me, I think I like it with just one chair too. And then, like I said, I could get a small ottoman, maybe a chocolate brown one.

I have a red paisley couch in the library so I can't see it working in there (though the green paisley looks beautiful against the red walls.) I was thinking colorwise it would go in the bedroom but right now there's no room for it. I have a cedar chest that is useful for blankets but a pain in that it takes up so much room.

Still, if I had to sell only one, that's better than two.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Are you sure Macy's wouldn't take it back, maybe with a restocking fee? I'll admit I also like it better with just one chair. :(

But I was thinking just the two chairs like Pal suggested. Maybe with a large round Craigslist table with some age on it (I wouldn't do an ottoman with 2 recliners), a gorgeous plant in the corner, your artwork, candles to flicker on the table....Your investment in the sofa is $200, isn't it? Much less than your chairs. Can your furbaby sleep somewhere else?
    Dee

• susanka
    13 years ago

I'd love to see how it looks with two chairs, as palimpsest and deeinohio suggest. Intriguing!

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Can they be tucked closer to each arm of the sofa? In other words not slanted and facing each other? I don't like the one chair look. I guess this furniture can't be swapped with your library furniture?

• chinchette
    13 years ago

Oh, I see now the perspective with your kitchen. Yes, it seems like you would be better off with two chairs where the couch is and that is all. Maybe an ottoman, which is what you liked. The chairs are really nice. I can see that you don't need this much seating here. Just the two chairs.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee, I don't know with Macy's. I've had these for over a month now so I'm thinking no.

I'm sure I must have moved it around to just two chairs before they pulled the floor up but I don't have any pics. Maybe hubby will help me tomorrow. When we first moved into this house and had some difference furniture we tried some different things up here and what I remember is feeling like it was unfinished, which probably isn't the right word but I can't think of the right word right now. :) Like it was waiting for the rest of the furniture to show up, if that makes any sense.

I'd love to see if I can find any pictures of sitting areas like this.

I don't imagine people will be reclining in these in this space which is why I think I can make an ottoman work (but I might also have tunnel visioin.) I got the recliners for when the guys carry them down into the library.

And yes, the loveseat investment isn't much. I think I just have this picture in my head of a cozy sitting area with the loveseat (which is so comfy) and a couple of chairs.

One other thing I forgot, and someone mentioned, is to move the chairs off the angle and more squared off. I think we liked that better. We'll do that tomorrow too.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I think it looks lonely w/out the 2nd chair~
    Hang the art, add some pillows, a throw and a lamp. I bet you will be very happy with this sweet space.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I like the sofa with 2 chairs. Once you get the art, lamps and knick knacks in there, it will be such a cozy place to sit and talk.

We've had chairs blocking part of an entryway also, but they looked fine.

I think with two chairs only it will look more like a doctor's waiting room.

• RoseAbbey
    13 years ago

I dont like the sofa with only one chair, but the sofa and two chairs to me is too much for the space, everything is pushed into that corner. I would like to see just the two chairs, a round leather ottoman, couple of side tables, a floor lamp between the two chairs.

I dont quite understand the layout. If this room was a previous dining room, why cant you use the whole room instead of part of it. what is on the other side of the room?

• teacats
    13 years ago

Yes -- I liked the arrangement with the loveseat and the two chairs BUT I can see having only one chair there -- plus an ottoman to "round" out the arrangement.

a)With only one chair: Move one of the side tables over to sit next to the chair.

b)THEN add one of the famous "not-such-a-bad-goof-after-all" bookshelves to that short wall. :)

c)Add the wonderful artwork above the loveseat.

d)Add a standing lamp on the right-hand side of the loveseat and a table lamp on the left-hand side.

e)Find a round ottoman for the center.

f)Find a spot for the addtional chair -- maybe in the library?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks teacats for more ideas! I did have a standing lamp to put in that back corner but it would be half on and half on the rug and that looked funny. :)

There is NO place for the additional chair. It is use it or sell it and right now we are going to use it. I am of a mind to keep an eye out for smaller profile chairs that aren't leggy but I'm not going to obsess on it. (shush now, I can hear you all laughing. haha)

I got hubby to square off the chairs for me last night and I forgot that that was the last arrangement we tried and I liked and I am going with for now. Down the road I can mess with it but for now I want to hang the art finish getting things back together.

And just for the heck of it, here it is with the ottoman from my office which is 24 x 17.

For Rose and the other people who were wondering why we couldn't use the whole room, here are some pictures from different angles. It isn't a "real room" but some floating space. The house used to end at the wood floors and the PO put two additions onto it, our library and my office. The dining room table we had fit in the space where I have the sitting area now but you were in danger of falling off the edge if you backed your chair up and you couldn't put the leaves in the table.

(Note on the colors, the walls and couch/chairs are actually green, which you see without the flash. With flash, it all goes brown.)

Standing on one side of the kitchen.

Standing at the front door.

Standing in the library. (Please ignore the metal grate. Painter is faux painting one to match the wood.)

Standing in dining room.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I love the arrangement with the small ottoman. Did you try moving the chairs even closer to the sofa? Looks wonderful.

• RoseAbbey
    13 years ago

OH that arrangement works much better. I would still like to see a round ottoman instead of the square one or something round on the wall.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I like the chairs where they are now, but turn them just a tad towards the sofa (not as strong as you had earlier).

You worry too much! ;)

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I do like that! But if you need my address later, just let me know! LOL!

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whew! We have a winner.

walnutcreek and alison - will try the chairs closer to the sofa and also only slightly angled when hubby is around to lift them. One thing on this rug is that I can't even slide the chairs a little bit and I can't lift them.

rose - that ottoman wouldn't stay there as it goes with the rocker in my office. But I put it there for size. I'm not ruling out a round one. I don't have a ton of space but I do think there's room for something there.

The painting over the loveseat and then I was thinking of a mirror on the short wall which would reflect some of the light from the kitchen.

And Allison, yes, I worry WAY too much. :) Story of my life. (Diagnosed with an ulcer at age 7.) I think the reason I'm hassling with this so much is that 1) it's the end of a long haul and 2) I'm not the kind of person to rearrange the furniture once it's in place. I want it to look good and feel right and then I want to go back to work. :)

• teacats
    13 years ago

Bingo! :)

Well done on finding a way to use both chairs!!!

Time to pop some champagne and enjoy! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• les917
    13 years ago

If you are going to leave the chairs facing one another, I would not use the ottoman - too crowded. Also, you need to pull the rug out away from the back wall, so that the chairs donâÂÂt look like the are jammed onto the rug. You need some rug space to the outside of them.

Just another thought, but have you tried the two chairs straight across from the loveseat, instead of angled?

Or, and this might work better, try putting one of the end tables against the back wall, and the loveseat coming out at a right angle to the wall next to it - it would have its back to the kitchen. Then put one of the chairs on the wall where the loveseat was, the other end table in the corner where the two walls meet, and the other chair on the end wall, facing the loveseat.

Of course, you would probably have to turn the rug the other way as well.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Les, I was going back and forth on the rug placement due to walking into the library. Will try pulling it away from the wall more.

We did try the loveseat with its back to the kitchen and it didn't feel right at all to us. But I don't think I tried having the chairs face the couch. Will try that too though my first thought is that they might stick out too far.

I probably won't be able to try any more moving for a few days as hubby hurt his back moving things for me yesterday. The only things I got help with today was hanging art, which felt great. I love the picture over the loveseat and now I'm looking for a mirror for that short wall, trying to decide if it should be a frameless oval or something else.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Before you give up I would try 2 chairs with an end table between on the wall and the love seat across from them? The love seat is lower and also take less space than the 2 chairs.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Very nice home. I do think that the scale and style of the sofa is off a bit for both the space and the chairs. Also, one of the chairs blocks a doorway somewhat (standing in your library looking toward the kitchen). Might look better using the two chairs with some sort of round table in the middle, floor lamp, etc. It just looks like too much furniture for the area to my eye. I think you are feeling it as well, or you would not have posted the question.

Your home is lovely, but removing something back in this area would open up the doorway from the library and solve the issue of the scale of things in that spot.

Hang in there, hope your DH feels better soon! Doing all of this with the holidays looming must be frazzling. Love your artwork!

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

I would also keep both chairs since you have them. I like the last arrangement and would try tilting them in more as suggested. I can't wait to see that neat picture on the wall. I apolgize if you mentioned this already but I don't remember reading it, I'd add red pillows or at least one long pillow to the couch for some color.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will try moving things around some more but it will have to be when my husband has help to lift and carry. Hopefully Friday. I'll take pictures of the various options. What I might do is just remove the rug and try the furniture in the different ways mentioned and then, once that's set, put the rug in place. Hubby is not a fan of all this moving around. :)

shee, I am thinking of picking up some pillows, probably for the chairs because I notice I can't sit up easily in them...I need some support at my back. I can try some pillows on the couch but my furbaby usually just takes them off so she can sleep.

Got the painting up on the wall for now.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

It looks great with the artwork above the couch and the two chairs facing each other.

You know I love those chairs! You definitely need to use both of them because it would be a shame to let such a great chair go on CL.

I think it would look a little crowded with a table between the chairs, although maybe the couch just looks closer to the chairs in pictures than IRL. You have the side tables and those should be useful for drinks, a book, etc.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

I think that this space looks just right now! That long-ish wall with the sofa and picture needs something large - like your sofa and painting! It is now a good focal point, especially when viewed from other rooms, such as the dining room. Your other rooms have a lot going on in them and are very eclectic. This little space is calm, symmetrical and inviting now. The perfect place to take a break with a drink and magazine, to relax for a few minutes and ponder your surroundings.

IMO if you move the sofa and chairs to face each other with one element against the short wall, it will look shmushed together and will not beckon. Now, if you stand and look at the seating area, there's the focal point of sofa and painting. And if you turn a bit, there's the dining room focal point of fireplace and its painting. Very nice counterpoints!

But only you know your home!

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Does this mean that you won't be sending me that chair?

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

Just thought of something. I think it looks nice the way you have it now but I saw this blog and the picture of their sitting room made me think of your space. You could use one of the large wooden pieces from your dining room, put it on the long wall and then do the two recliners facing away from it the way she did. It might impede that doorway though, and of course, then you'd have to ditch your sofa and you may want the extra seating, but I thought I'd just throw that out there as an option.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

franksmom - You are cracking me and hubby up (and that's greatly appreciated.) Alas, no chair for you...at least not THIS year. :)

juddgirl - it's really tight quarters there so a table wouldn't work. That's why I'm glad I had the side tables. I took them from the library so now, of course, I'm looking for something for in there. :)

sable - I think you and I think a lot alike. I like your explanation. I will likely try it a few other ways, just to be sure, but I feel pretty good about it the way it is now. I would like to pull the rug out about a foot from the long wall because then I could put my floor lamp back there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a mirror on the short wall? I know I want one, but I'm not sure if I should go with an oval frameless or something with an interesting frame. (No starbursts for me, though.)

tryingtodecorate - thanks for sharing that blog. It's another interesting idea if we get tired of this setup. I appreciate the thought.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I like it better with the chairs facing each other but I would consider a bench instead of the chairs that backs up to the kitchen so that the room opens up a bit.

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

I like the art there. I think an oval mirror would be nice to break up all the squares. Cute furkid. I understand not wanting to use pillows there. What about a red chenille throw draped over the arm for the couch? I know,... chenille and pet hair isn't the best combination.

Are those Chloe chairs comfortable, btw? Would you want to curl up and watch tv in one?

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I didn't read all of the replies. I also have a Chloe chair, they are great chairs so I would definitely keep them both! I've often thought of getting another, but even though they are small for a recliner, they are bulkier than you think at first glance! Of the orientations, I prefer the last, though I did have another suggestion you may want to consider. As you say you don't want to recline them, is it possible to put both of the chairs on the wall side with a table between and the float the loveseat on the opposite side. Then try putting your lovely lyre table against the back of the loveseat to use as a sofa table. That is a stunning table and would really show it off. It seems like the room is tigher in the width than the length which is why I'm thinking the shorter loveseat may work better floating than the chairs. You could probably add on ottoman as well, but would probably need to loose one of the end tables.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

htnspz - thanks for the bench idea. Probably not in this iteration because I'm not buying anything else for this space for a while and I have no place else to put the other chair if I don't use it here.

shee - thanks for weighing in on the mirror. And thanks about the idea of a colored throw. That might work.

As for the comfort of the Chloe, well, right now they are stiff and hard to recline. I have hubby doing them back and forth a few times every day to try and break them in. I have a hard time pushing them back myself right now and my mother-in-law can't do it at all. I love that they work for my short legs. To watch TV, I wouldn't recline, I'd curl up with a pillow at the back (because they lean back some even when not reclined.) They are not yet the comfiest place in the house but your mileage might vary. The most comfortable piece of furniture is that green loveseat. I think it must be whatever the cushions are made of. It is much more comfortable than the loveseat in the library and I wish I could figure out why.

I know a lot of people think the Chloe is super comfy. I have a lot of back/shoulder/pain issues so I'm probably not the best person to ask on comfy furniture. :)

Val, you nailed it on the chairs. To be honest, I will eventually (like a year or more down the road) replace them with chairs with a smaller profile because they ARE bulkier than you think. Even though I measured they still take up more rooom than I would like.

I will add your suggestion to moving things around to try when we can get some help here to lift and carry. I do love my lyre table. I think it's showcased pretty well where it is at since it is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. Table and door are in direct alignment. And I love its wood against the Flowering Herb wall. It just seems to pop there. Need to work on my vignette for it next.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I love the tree print. Trees, in my mind, are also very calming and relaxing. Personally, I would not add anymore color than the tree print. If you add more, then the calmness of the sitting area is diluted. When you had the lamps, I think that will be all you need.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

So, I won't be getting that table, either?! Well!

I agree that the Chloe's are a little heafty. Definitely one of the smallest upholstered chairs I looked at, but all of the new furniture is so big these days, they're still a big chair. I'm pretty strong and spry, but I have trouble moving one by myself.

I think they're comfortable enough, but they're in a rarely used room, so I can't speak for how they feel on a long term sit.

I think a mirror on that short wall would be perfect, but I'd pick out the other accessories first, to see if you need something framed, or something more simple.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

franksmom - just so you know, hubby said to tell you that everything is available for a price that includes shipping from CA :)

What I am looking for, chairwise in the library, is a small footprint swivel rocker. Unfortunately the one that fits me best, that I absolutely love to sit in, is a LazyBoy one that looks, I think, a bit dated for my room. But I am still tempted because it is the only chair that consistently fits me and makes me happy.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I just read Les' suggestions and that could be another option. I think what is throwing me is that it all seems jammed up against the wall and then there is the big open space at the other end. I would try running the rug lengthwise and also have the chairs opposite the loveseat. Try both orientations--chairs on back wall with sofa floated and then the opposite. It's always a challenge to decorate with an open floorplan as the tendency is the orient around the walls but it just feels like the chairs are always falling off the step when they are angled and when they are facing each other, ithey are too close as the are placed in front of the arms of the loveseat.

I'm sorry you have trouble moving these chairs. First, I put felt pads under mine and they moved very easily--too easily so they would never stay in place and when reclined, they'd bump the wall. Finally, I put some rubber backings on them and now the chairs stay in place. No longer so easy to move though as I can no longer slide them.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Well, shipping from CA to my house would be pretty pricey, but I do have a truck!

Here's a funny story...years ago, I drove a small hatchback (which was actually pretty handy for hauling furniture) but DH had a pickup. I'd buy furniture at thrifts or junk stores, and ask him to pretty please go fetch it for me. Finally, he said to me one day "I don't care what you buy, but you have to be able to get it home yourself." So I bought an SUV with folding/removable back seats and a big cargo area. Problem solved! He hasn't had to fetch furniture since!

• loribee
    13 years ago

I feel bad that you aren't loving the Chloes-
    do you think that maybe our leather makes the difference?
    Ours are sooo comfy and fought over ever night.

I love your sitting area...I still say add a throw and a couple of pillows and enjoy~

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

val - thanks for more ideas. Hopefully I can bribe my brother-in-law to give us a hand moving things on Friday night. One of the problems moving these chairs is that they can't be tugged on the rug at all because of the texture of the rug. I'm afraid it would damage the rug. They do have felt pads on them in case they end up partway on the floor.

franksmom - I LOVE that story. Hubby giggled too. I have a little 2 door Honda but I've been amazed at what I can get into it.

loribee - thank you! I am starting to love it too, even with the moving around hassles. I think I want to see more rug and slightly angled. I went looking for pillows today and couldn't find any that I liked. I wanted small solid brown ones. I'll look around on Ebay and Etsy. (Please, no one tell me to make them because I just don't do that sort of thing.) I did pick up a brown throw though because we always another one of those downstairs.

I also picked up a couple of lamps but think I might have messed up on the shade. I was tired of shopping and I was all the way home again when I realized the shades were those leather ones that I don't think will give off much light. We'll see. I'll get things put together and take some more pictures.

And loribee, I don't NOT love the Cloes. I did go back in an sat in one with my feet tucked under me and that works. I don't think it's the leather. I think I'm just old and broken and don't fit many chairs. Since these will not get a ton of use, I don't think it matters. I do love to look at them, though. :) That counts for something.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, so I'm liking the new lamps on the side tables. That's a plus. I measured the rug and I can't turn it the other way because then it would stick out all the way the middle of the opening to the library. So when we move furniture I'll pull the rug out some from the wall but keep it the same direction.

I put the new brown throw on the loveseat and really like it. So far no small brown pillows on Ebay or Etsy so I'll keep looking around. I want them plain and I'm thinking the lumbar shape would be good.

This mirror just came up on craigslist.

{{!gwi}}

It's 33 x 23 and she wants $100 for it. I'm thinking about going to see it tomorrow.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Good luck with the Craig's List mirror. I hope that it works for you!

I do think that a mirror in that space should have a frame, and maybe with a little bit of bling. Are you familiar with moremirrors.com? They have a huge selection. Their prices run from around $130 - $300.

If you hang the mirror at a certain height it will reflect the painting from various angles. A nice effect!

Here is a link that might be useful: good mirror site

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the mirror site, sable! I'm still on the fence if I want a mirror there or a painting but that site has a lot of choices.

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We still need to pull the rug out but I added a few things to the space. I still need to dink with the tables (actually got a couple of new ones that might go there instead) but it's making progress.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Yes indeed -- the whole area is looking very warm and cozy!

I do like the slight angle of the right-hand chair ....

still liked the look of the small woven ottoman that you did have there earlier!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• susanwrites
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jan. I'll angle the chairs better once we get the rug pulled out. The ottoman matches my chair and table in my office so alas, it already has a home. But I'll keep a lookout for something else. As we used the space last night I tried to think what would be best to have there. Still pondering.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Susan, it looks great now. I like the furniture placement with the chairs facing each other and the direction of the rug the way you have it. I imagine you will keep tweaking (as do we all!), so keep posting pics!

That sitting room blog that tryingtodecorate posted gave me an idea for our sitting area off the kitchen-thanks!

Merry, merry all.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Once the dog jumped onto the sofa, no other improvements necessary!:)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x