SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Entertainment Center Options - What Would You Do (PICS)?

jan_in_wisconsin
16 years ago

My dear hubby wants a new 52" LCD television in the worst way, and I admit that we definitely need something much larger than our current traditional 27" set, as our room is too wide and the seating too far away for that size.

Anyway, we don't have anything to set the television on or in if we do get it. So . . . one issue has led to another, and we're trying to decide on what type of furniture would work best. On one hand, I would like something with doors on it, as the television is expensive, and we have active boys at home. Also, the television would be located in the great room, which is a large room, with two potential, separate seating areas - one for the T.V. and another by the fireplace. So, it would be nice to have the option to shut the doors when the T.V. is not in use. However, none with doors are available from Ethan Allen in the size we need with the same stain color as our dining table in the adjacent room. There is a matching open model available though. Our woodwork is creamy white, and we have both stained (medium tones) and painted (black) wood furniture in the adjoining kitchen/dining area. The dining table is Ethan Allen's New Country table in a medium stain. Our home has a lot of antique type elements to it, which I love, and we're trying to carry that look into the great room, as well.

So far, I have thought of two options:

(1) Purchase an entertainment unit from Ethan Allen, which matches the dining table stain color exactly. The problems with this are that the entertainment center is fairly expensive, and there are none with doors on large enough for the television. Here are pictures of the EA New Country farmhouse dining table and matching entertainment center (no doors):

{{gwi:1899915}}

{{gwi:1899916}}

(2) Purchase a nice antique-style entertainment center from Hooker Furniture. It has doors, etc. The only potential problem with it is that since it is not made by Ethan Allen the wood stain finish will not necessarily be a ringer for the stain used on the dining table. However, it is more affordably priced than the Ethan Allen one. I know wood tones can be mixed, though, right? I have never purchased from Hooker before, so I don't know about their quality either. The stores I checked did not have any Hooker entertainment units in stock like the one I'm interested in, so it is more difficult to determine how well the stain color will go in the house. Also, what about the mantle color with it? And how about the natural varigated maple hardwood flooring in the adjacent foyer and kitchen areas? Here is a picture of the Hooker unit:

{{gwi:1549424}}

Here are pictures of our great room and a view of the great room from the dining area where the table is located now:

If you have any suggestions for other furniture pieces, I am completely all ears. I seem to struggle with every decision, and I'm grateful for any thoughts you have.

Jan

Comments (26)