SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessl85_gw

Need Budget-friendly Kitchen help!

JessL85
9 years ago

Okay, we are in the process of buying our first home. This is the kitchen, and i can't stop thinking about how to make it better, on a budget. This is not our forever home, but we will be here probably 5-8 years.

Now, I will admit I am pretty clueless when it comes to decorating, I am not crafty/capable of most DIY stuff. But as I've been searching the internet for ideas, I've been brought back time and time again to threads on this forum, so I know I can find help/ideas here!

I presume these are the very basic builder's grade oak cabinets. The counter is granite, so we will keep that and applicances. The floor has got to go, but not sure what to do. The dining area is wood laminate. Should we extend that into the kitchen or go with tile? Or something else?

Painting the cabinets is probably not going to happen, but I was wondering if we should maybe stain them darker?? Thoughts? Obviously they need hardware as well. Would you bother with the expense of adding crown molding in a non-forever home kitchen? Or I also read about adding top cabinets, since that gap seems pretty big...

Oh, and my husband doesn't like the wall color. We were thinking gray (the hallway is gray), but I'm up to other ideas, and not sure what would look best if we did stain the cabs darker. Also, husband likes back splashes. Thoughts?

Thank you!!

Comments (21)