SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacksonhole_gw

furniture placement in small room with high ceilings

jacksonhole
16 years ago

We have a room in our house that measures 14'x16' with flat ceilings that are 11' high. There is floor to ceiling glass on three sides of the room and the fourth side opens into the dining room. I'd really like to put the furniture in the center of the room - possibly three curvy chairs around a round ottoman - the rest of the space will have plants. Will putting the furniture in the center of the room make the room look both smaller and higher? Should we take the chairs and place them angled in the corners instead with rectangular ottomons - my husband and I have been deliberating over this for months and we need to get furniture in there. Our house is really contemporary - this is just a sitting room that can be seen from the dining and living rooms - it's kind of like a loft space. The dining room is 8' flat and the living room is valted up to a loft - so the heights are different - that's what separates the rooms, along with different turns and angles (if this makes sense). Anyway, I just want this glass room to look classy and not just like a glassed in porch. There are places with drywall to hang some photos and a space to have a tall cabinet with books and some of my pottery. I want to do a frieze rug and textured clean-lined furniture. I'm probably getting ahead of myself - sorry - I just don't want the furniture in the center to make the room look even smaller or accentuate the high ceiling (which was my husband's idea - I wanted it no higher than 9 1/2 to 10 - but he won out and right now I'm a bit uncomfortable in it. At the same time, I don't know how all the furniture pushed against the walls will look either. Please help me - anyone out there have experience with this - obviously, proportion and scale just aren't my thing. Thanks.

Comments (2)