SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Slightly shorter distance between counter & uppers?

lisa_a
9 years ago

My remodel plans call for a 16.25" deep base below a 15.75" upper next to the wall oven cab (base cab will sit against wall studs, upper against drywall, hence the difference in depth). This is to replace a 29" wide standard depth base and upper between wall and oven cab. It was a dead zone that attracted junk, which drove me batty, up until we bought a toaster oven last summer (our oven died and was too old to be repaired and cab was too narrow to fit a 30" oven; the toaster oven and other small appliances got us through until we could remodel). So now that space has a purpose, yay!

Before the oven died an untimely death, I had planned for a floor-to-ceiling cabinet to house small appliances, etc. That's still the purpose of the cabs but now I've designed an opening between base and upper for the toaster oven. It will be like this but with closed door storage above the toaster oven

Contemporary Kitchen by Charlotte Appliances DCI Home Resource

And this but with the toaster oven where the MW is and no MW.

Contemporary Kitchen by Falls Church Kitchen & Bath Designers Cameo Kitchens, Inc.

I don't need a full 18" of distance between counter and upper, 14.5" would work just fine since the toaster oven only specs clearance requirements for sides, not back or top. Since it won't be a standard base/upper set-up, I'm wondering if I could get away with reducing the distance between the two. I like the idea of a slightly shorter reach to items in the upper cabinet since I'm height-challenged.

Anyhoo, I'm curious to know if anyone here has opted for a shorter distance between base and upper cabs in their k1tchen. Any regrets or wisdom to share?

If it makes any difference, the upper and base will be connected by a 3" thick corbel to house the light switches. The corbel will be shaped somewhat like the ones pictured in this image.

Traditional Kitchen by Louisville Kitchen & Bath Designers Kenneth Fromme

The corbel detail will be repeated for the hutch, which is on the other side of the kitchen entry, just not as thick or deep.

I imagine the scale and appearance between the two units would be something along the lines of the corbels for the hood and adjacent cab in this kitchen

Traditional Kitchen by Piedmont Architects & Building Designers robert kelly

btw, If we decide to ditch the toaster oven, that height would also accommodate my KA stand mixer. That's the only other small appliance I'm okay with leaving out. I wouldn't use it there, just store it there; the counter will only be 26.5" wide.

TIA!

This post was edited by lisa_a on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 18:46

Comments (10)