SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

So what color should I paint this bathroom?

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

Bathroom update is pretty much done, and now I have to decide on a paint color.

This gives a fairly good idea of the colors. The vanity has a dark cherry stain.

And here's a wider view:

I'm leaning toward some kind of pink, but any other ideas?

Comments (51)

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

joanie -- all the tiles, wall and floor, are original to the house (1950). We decided to keep them and chose the new elements to complement them.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Lovely tile work.

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest a shade deeper than your maroon tile. I think it would really show the tile to advantage by picking a dark color.

• Related Discussions

What color should I paint my bathroom?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks all! Sry, my house has mahogany wood trim... I didn’t know about the cabinets :). I don’t mind the colour either, but we added extra overhead lighting and it’s still too dark to do even basic makeup. I will take a look at the suggestions and maybe only go up a couple shades on the same paint strip since that color is safe. And yea... the tile is limiting too.
    ...See More

Q

Comments (16)
    maybe ben moore candle white? its lighter than beige, a little pink,. but still in the beige comfort zone. I wouldn't worry too much about the floor. looks pretty small? a soft rug will cover most of it. do look at the lighting, and framing the mirror, as beth suggested. you probably already are...
    ...See More

What color should I paint a small bathroom with bone fixtures?

Q

Comments (5)
    A warm white and stage it for showing with colored towels and decor(teal , navy or even red) so it would be easy to change color scheme. Or one of those chameleon color that changes from blue to green or grey depending on light and acceories.
    ...See More

Q

Comments (10)
    A warm off white would look very nice and was my initial thought. It's often my first thought for wall colour these days and I hesitate to suggest it because I worry it's a cop out of some kind. :P Get a test sample jar/can of whatever you're considering and paint it on a few inexpensive art canvas boards so you can try it out on all walls. Take your time to see the colour throughout a sunny and gloomy day's light.
    ...See More
  • joanie_b
    15 years ago

Kudos to you hho for working with what you have, especially when it's in such wonderful condition.
    I think that's wonderful and look forward to seeing the results.

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Tan or maroon

• creekylis
    15 years ago

Would you consider wallpaper?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Love your floor tile!

I agree with paintchips about a darker color. But here's a few light and dark to give you an idea:
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

I love the wallpaper with the birds - adorable.
    The perfect blend of vintage and modern,imo, and complements both your colors and fixtures.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    15 years ago

I love your sink and cabinet selection. Works very well with the beautiful tile.
    I'm normally so anti-wall paper. but those selections are beautiful!
    Also think the darker gray paint is nice. Very sophisticated.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I like the last wallpaper myself. It has a nice open pattern which would work with the floor and tile.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

My first thought was wallpaper, too. Or a darker shade of gray.

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

I would go with something contrasting to the cherry. A smokey blue would be fantastic.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ack -- more wallpaper! I spent about a week getting the old stuff off. I do like the pattern with the birds, but with the floor, I think it's too busy.

I was thinking a warm, terra-cotta-ish pink, but not too dark. I'll have to get some paint chips and see what looks good.

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Actually, I don't think the bird wallpaper would be too busy. And I love the dark grey. How about one wall of the wallpaper, and grey for the rest?

You've made some gorgeous choices so far! looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

• htnspz
    15 years ago

the gray color is nice. I'm not sure about wallpaper in a bathroom. Isn't it too humid?

• harmon_2008
    15 years ago

You have a beautiful Bathroom. Instead of taking a chance with a color you are not sure about, do not try and make a decision using tiny paint chip samples. Choose a high-quality brand that offers small bottles of color to sample, or invest in a single quart of a chosen paint color.Paint a piece of poster board instead of the wall, and after the paint has dried, place the extra-large sample on the wall in many different positions. Place the color next to flooring, and next to Bathroom walls and stand back to get a more realistic idea of how it will look.

You can find some good artworks in the below site Nina

• eandhl
    15 years ago

You are getting ready to sell? I would go more neutral like a very pale gray, no darker than the tile.

• jlcjlr
    15 years ago

I remember the "before" pictures with the busy wallpaper! Perfect choices for the light fixture, mirror and especially the cabinet. We recently redid our bathroom and we chose gray for the walls. It is very soothing. The photo-shopped pictures from mjlb with the darker gray really show-off the tile to advantage. The pink may also be good but choosing a color that makes you look good in the mirror may be tough. That is what I love about the gray we ended up with, it doesn't compete with skin tones in your reflection.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I'm thinking a gray, but I'm not sure if it should be lighter or the same color as the tile. I definitely would not go darker. I also think crown molding matching your trim would add to the beauty of the bath, mking it look restored. Then I'd bring the maroon/burgundy to the top of the wall with artwork. I also think a touch of black in the artwork or window treament would bring in the third color that the room needs.

I give this advice to a lot of people so sorry to repeat myself, but I think it's good advice when you are dealing wih a room with dark elements are trying to match specific colors. Replace any regular incandescent bulbs with GE Reveal incandescents and flourescents with those that specify "day light" on the label (sorry I cannot think of the brand I use.) I get them at Home Depot.

By all means, when chosing a paint color, follow harmon's advice, it is the best way to chose paint color.

That's a beautiful bath and in great condition. Look forward to seeing it in all of it's old time glory.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. My inclination is to go lighter rather than darker, but I don't want a pastel look, either.

And no, we're not getting ready to sell! We're sticking with this place for the foreseeable future. This is for us to enjoy.

• maggiemuffin360
    15 years ago

My goodness - lots of different suggestions.
    While I'm rather partial to the lilac colour in mjlb's mockups (I have that in a 1/2 bath), my first thought was a very pale blue - soothing & serene look.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I really love your tile. And I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but I think I'd go with an eggshell or, if your tile design contains cream color rather than white/off-white, then a cream on the walls. I think that since your tile is such a prominent feature of the room, I'd let it remain center stage. I think a pink or blue or lavender will compete too much with what you've already got going on in the room. The only caveat to that would be that I could maybe envision a very light dove-gray on the walls, but I am still thinking that an off-white or cream would be your best bet.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Following on Jen's advice, why not do a white on the walls...pull the white from the floor. And do a color on the ceiling -- pale gray, pale blue. Or of you are feeling really brave, the burgundy. That is assuming it is not your primary bath.

Watch out for terra cotta pink. The burgundy looks like a cool, blue red to me and the gray looks cool, too. I often say that they eye wants variety, warm/cool, yadda yadda. But in this case, I don't think a warm pink-leaning-toward-orange would work.

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

If you go with tan.. make it a darker rich color.
    I love the wallpaper option for that particular bathroom

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I've settled on a color: BM peppermint (1359).

It's a very pale pink. Imagine a man wearing a gray suit, burgundy tie, and pink shirt.

I'm painting the ceiling (white) today. I'm determined to get this done before New Year's Eve.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM peppermint

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

Pretty! I'd love to see post painting pics.

How the heck did you ever settle on a pink? It was the hardest color to choose, and I never got it right. I painted one of my bathrooms pink, and what was lovely and soft on the card became Pepto-Bismol-bubble-gum in my windowless bathroom. Which might have worked when I was a PYT during the late 80's...now, not so much. Where's a George Michael poster when you need one?

Joanna

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Here's your color photoshopped in case you would like to get an idea before your start. In one of the below images I tried to match the color to the lighting in the picture which is dark and the other image I lightened the picture to match your color. Hope this helps!

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks kelly! That's very helpful.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kellyeng's mock-up makes me think that the Peppermint is not the right color, though I do like the "light" version better than the "dark" version.

My sister has a bathroom with the same border tile color as ours but with the field tile in a salmon pink. She carefully chose a white with a touch of pink for the walls, but it ended up just looking white, and it doesn't look very good, so I feel like a more definite color is needed here.

Maybe I should give up on the pink and try gray.

I really wanted to get this done by tomorrow because we have people coming over for New Year's Eve. I was planning to prime tonight, get the wall paint tomorrow morning, and paint tomorrow night.

• casajakada
    15 years ago

Beautiful tile! I like the idea of wallpaper, but that fifth picture shows a dark taupe to gray on my monitor and the tile really jumps against that for me. It looks very rich and sets off the vanity, too.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I'm not liking the idea of pink that much. It would work if everything else in the bath was vintage, but it looks more to me like you've married the vintage & the classic modern looks very nicely so far, & a darker tan or grey would continue that vein.

"Elegant vintage" I would call it ;D

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Harriet, do you have a BM fandeck? If you do, tell me what the closest colors to the tile are and I will look at pinks and grays for you to consider. I have the pro kits and can play around with larger chips...

If you haven't painted by the time your guests come, I think you can make a party game out of having them suggest a color! :-)

• Oakley
    15 years ago

I'm in love with the wall tile! My vote is to paint the wall in the Tan family. Any kind of wallpaper would compete with the floor. It would be too "busy" as you said.

IMO, the tile is the "show piece" of the room. Simplicity on the walls would make it stand out. Just beautiful!

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amy, that's what DH suggested! Maybe I'll just prime it with white and leave it at that ... but depending on how much people have to drink, there might be some not very useful suggestions ...

Unfortunately, I don't have a BM fandeck. I can tell you the maroon tile is very close to Raisin Torte, with perhaps a touch less brown.

Interesting from a historical standpoint: the old wallpaper that we uncovered when we took down the old medicine cabinet was yellow (or possibly yellowed white), gray, and maroon:

It's actually very pretty, I think.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

WOW! I love that wallpaper. Agree with you that it is really pretty. I just found a piece of vintage fabric that belonged to my MIL today....very similar in feeling. Who would ever have guessed at gray, maroon and yellow?!

I have to run to the train station to pick up visiting nieces, but I will take a peek at Raisin Torte tonight.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Hi again Harriet. I am sitting here with Raisin Torte and Peppermint. I think peppermint is too clear (pastel) a pink and not sophisticated enough. What I suggest is that you move towards a grayed-down pink or a pinked-up gray. I wish I knew more about the gray you have in there already...but I don't, so I will just throw out a bunch of pink colors that (IMO) work with Raisin Torte.

Rose Lace 1254
    Hampshire Rocks 1450
    White Winged Dove 1457
    Wild Aster 1240
    Morristown Cream 1241

If these pinks feel too cool, you could warm it up a bit (which would be my preference) with one of the following:

Onyx White OC-74
    Pristine OC-75
    Colonial Cream OC-77

Any of the warmer pinks from OC-74 through OC-84 are worth playing around with. I know you were thinking of a terra cotta color earlier, which makes me think you want some warmth in the room perhaps...

I have to say that having seen the wallpaper, as well as having spent some time with yellows, I would suggest you take a look at some creamy colors like:

Pale Moon OC-108
    San Mateo Beaches 924 (I really love this!)
    Concord Ivory (looks like the wallpaper)

Disclaimer: I am just fiddling around with a gray that I think looks like yours, and considering a less-brown Raisin Torte, so what you see in person may be different.

When you go to the store, ask to see their larger chips from the big kit. If you have samples of the tile, do take them with you. Concord Ivory comes in a sample jar and there's another color called Popcorn Kernel that is also available in a jar that might work. Some of the pinks and off whites I listed also come in wet samples. If you can splotch (on the wall or a sample board) by all means do.

Put up a color, see if you like it and if not, try to figure out why. Get analytical about it and move toward what you want. I think you have the makings of a stunning bathroom and it's worth it to take you time picking a color you love.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amy, thanks! I'm thinking one of those nice off whites would work well.

The gray in the tile is almost a greenish gray or smokey gray.

I just spent the evening painting with Gardz and feel a little woozy -- yuck. Luckily, it's a small bathroom.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I think an off-white with a touch of gray in it would be nice or a touch of grayish pink or yellow would let your floor tile be the star and not compete.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Here's something different:
    {{!gwi}}
    Sorry about the rough Photoshop work.

Eileen

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Is the medcab yellow wallpaper in the same hue as the lightest shade in the floor? With the grey and marroon pinwheels, it really does work and must have warmed the room, where the pink is still a cool color. Fascinating! Will there be more vanity wood featured in the room? Love that vanity!

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to the paint store this morning with a couple of tiles (not the originals, but what we used to do the repair behind the sink, so they were close) and picked a color. I did two coats of primer and one of topcoat today, and just don't have time to do a second coat tonight, so I'll do the "reveal" tomorrow (and let you know what I picked!) after I finish another coat and put the room back together. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

(At least we'll start the new year with a working bathroom.)

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Rats, just came in on this! I recognize this bath from the baths thread :) Can't believe that first layer of wallpaper -- how cool. Something in me is hoping that there's some gold/very warm cream in the future of that room...

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here it is:

(The second photo is showing up sideways for me right now -- don't know why.)

The color is Opal (BM OC-73). When the guy at the paint store was mixing it up, I asked him what colors were in it, and he said it is a mixture of yellow, maroon, and gray, believe it or not. It sort of shimmers between peachy and a cooler pink, depending on the light in the room. I chose the "pearl" finish. So what do you all think?

(And btw, happy new year!)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Looks great! Glad you moved away from the Peppermint.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Everyone was commenting last night on how new the tile looks now.

I still can't believe it's finally done. DH and I have been sharing the tiny master bath since the end of September -- it feels so luxurious to have this bathroom back.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Perfect choice; it looks so fresh and delightful in there.

I was just saying on Oakley's color thread that I can't wait til we swing back to colored tile baths...to me, yours has just as much a "timeless" look as the classic sanitary white bath. LOVE.

• deniseandspike
    15 years ago

Harriet, can you tell me the brand of the sink and vanity? I finally found a vintage sink for my guest bath but I could use something like you have for my master. It's beautiful and looks very functional with the extended sides.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's Strasser Woodenworks, the Eurolav style. The vanity and sink are sold separately, but the sink is made especially to fit this style of vanity.

I saw something similar at Home Depot, actually. It's not the same quality (the Strasser is solid wood), but it could be an option if your budget is limited.

• deniseandspike
    15 years ago

I saw the one at Home Depot and it looked very cheap to me. Yours is beautiful and you can tell it's a much better quality. Thank you for the resource.

• Meghane
    15 years ago

I love the bath. I wouldn't have thought of that type of vanity with the original tile, but it really works and doesn't clash with the vintage style. Thanks for sharing!

• elizgonz
    15 years ago

How did I miss this? HHO, that looks fantastic!

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling