SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

Location of art piece question.

User
13 years ago

Thoughts on this picture above the fireplace. I have bought the picture, my question is does it work above the fireplace in this room. If not, I do have another spot in a bedroom for it. Also if it does work should it lean or be hung higher up.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (48)

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I think it looks great and I would leave it leaning if it was my house. Maybe just move it slightly to the right. :)

• fillagirl
    13 years ago

my two cents is No, it doesn't seem to "go" there....it's lovely, love the colours, but not that in location.

IMHO, for that fireplace, I would look for something chunkier, with a "heavier" feel, to go with the stone in the fireplace and leather in the chair (and sofa?)

• Related Discussions

bathroom art work

Q

Comments (5)
    Treasure is right that chosing artwork is very personal and hard to do for someone else unless you know them well. Personally I love holly-kay's idea of using something other than a framed piece of traditional art like china or a pretty tray. Maybe a shelf with some silver candlesicks or cut glass jars filled with pretty soaps? Maybe you even have some lovely or meaningful items you could use already. For framed artwork The New York Public Library Digital Library has a huge collection of artwork you can browse through to use as inspiration or even download and print low resolution images (see link below for tips from the Creativity Exchange on using the images) And just because you pick something now, doesn't mean you can't change it out later if you tire of your first choice or find something you love more. You could even purposely chose two options and display one with brighter colors for spring and summer and the another for fall and winter. I know the thought of choosing two when you can't chose one seems daunting, but I have found the freedom from having to find "the one" lets me focus on what makes me happy. Happy hunting!! Here is a link that might be useful: Creativity Exchange: NYPL Digital Library
    ...See More

Art Work - Too Small for Wall?

Q

Comments (60)
    Thanks everyone ... I appreciate all the help and compliments I received on this! The rug isn't new, but it was my 3rd try until I got it "right" You know I didn't even think to move the picture up a little, to cover the box, but I will definitely do that. Unfortunately my whole house needs to be rewired, so I will have many more of these type holes to patching paint!
    ...See More

Art or No Art, that is the question?

Q

Comments (23)
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I would like all the furniture pieces to stay in the room, plus no other spot in the home for them. I am going to move the dresser under the window and move the chest of drawers to the wall where the dresser currently is and see how that looks and feels. TV may have to go as it is rarely used anyway. Not having a mirror over the dresser will be a change for me, lol. neverbedone - thanks for the picture, it really takes care of the space below the window and looks nice and neat. Olychick - Could I used draperies that match the current color of my Roman shades? I do want to keep them as they let light into a drab north/east room. Mrs S. - You are right, moving the chest of drawers would definitely give us some extra space when walking into the room and in front of the bed. TV not used much and it may go out of the room. RITA - Not looking for actually suggestions for art, just sizes and a pleasing placement on the wall. If I move the furniture pieces as suggested above, I may be able to also hang a piece above the chest of drawers. Again, thanks for all your suggestions, they have opened my eyes to new possibilities with the room.
    ...See More

size of art work behind couch+lamps

Q

Comments (3)
    The best way to get advice here is to show pictures of the space along with pics of what you have in mind for art. Dimensions of furniture and art are helpful, too. Maybe someone can give you a mock-up with the pictures and info.
    ...See More
  • Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I don't think it's the right piece for the fireplace either.
    I love the pic just not in that spot.It's too squarish and competes with all the other straight lines of the fireplace, windows and room itself. I'd like to see something large and round over the fireplace, maybe in a copper color.

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

I like it! It is bright, it pulls the windows into the room, and it enhances the color of some of the accessories. Keep it but hang it higher.

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

I like it, but would hang it higher.

• User
    13 years ago

I really like that piece. Love the red. I think you could use something a little larger and it does echo the fireplace square right below it but I think it can work. I think it would work better if you added items to the mantle with it but you might not be looking to do that. If adding other items, I'd lean it. If not, I'd hang it. I would keep it there for now and if something else pops up you could switch it to the bedroom or just send it to me. ... along with your bench, heeh. ;)

• les917
    13 years ago

I think the art is too much the same size and shape of the firebox. If you want to use it, consider adding some light matting, and framing it.

For now, try moving it over to the left of center, and putting the pair of candlesticks from the hearth on the right side of the mantel.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

It seems to me that the white in the picture is too glaring for the dark background and just jumps out at you. I would choose a picture that is somewhat wider so it doesn't echo the firebox, and which has a lighter background color (although not white) with darker colors spread around. Your room is really lovely, by the way.

• akshars_mom
    13 years ago

I am no expert but feel it is a little small for that area. You have a great room.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

I think the painting is too small for your space. I'd like to see something lighten up the fireplace, but still have a warm tone to it.

Your piece reminded me of my daughters new house. This will be her second Christmas as a newlywed. :)

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The piece I decided I dont like in the bedroom, too much red already in the room. So its either in the family room or I take it back. We temporarily hung it where the nail was for my sunburst to see how it looks hung. I would hang it a little higher if I was going to keep it. I do prefer it hung rather than propped up.

The piece has metallic paint on it that is why is looks glaring because of my flash. DH asked that I dont cover up the stone too much so I cant really get anything too big. It does echo the shape of the firebox but I think I kind of like that.

I was going to try Les917 suggestion to see how it would look but the mantel ledege is only 5" wide and the candle sticks are a bit wider so it wouldnt work. IRL the picture looks bigger than in the photo, dont know why that is.
    I also cant seem to take the picture so the windows are not just a blurr. There are shutters on the windows.

Sooooo, I am still looking for your opinions before I make my decision. Thanks for your help.
    {{!gwi}}

• nhb22
    13 years ago

It already looks better hung. A bit higher will help. Is there anything you can add to either sides of the mantle? You just need balance up there, and something to soften the stone and look.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

You have a lovely room, and your taste is very similar to mine. I think someone said on your other thread about the sailboat that you needed something unexpected in that space. This floral certainly "matches", but IMHO, it doesn't add that edginess to take your room up to that next level. How about a piece of modern or folk art sculpture or a modern painting? Something like these from etsy (though this may not be your particular taste):

Dee

• luckygal
    13 years ago

If either you or your DH *love* it, keep it. If not, return it. If you are uncertain you probably don't *love* it enough to keep it.

My personal opinion, not that it should matter one bit to anyone, is that it looks fine and if I were to walk into your house I would have no negative judgement of any type of your choice. I think the color is good, the subject matter is certainly acceptable, and the size is fine given your DH's request.

If you were to ask my opinion of the items sitting on the hearth I'd have to give a more negative comment.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

newhomebuilder, there isnt much of a ledge there on the mantel so not sure what I can put there. I dont want to have too many things on the fireplace though.

dee, those certainly are interesting items but not so much my taste.

luckygal, I dont love it but if I only bought things I loved I would have pretty much an empty room. I am intrigued though please comment on the items on the hearth. I put those there as I had those items but they dont necessarily have to stay.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

LOL. I knew it wasn't really you when I posted them. I was just looking for something unusual. What about a large audubon or audubon type print of a heron? Or something like my3dogs print in the art thread? Audubon prints are certainly traditional, and the heron would fit in with your lake community.
    Dee

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Ooooh, a heron, a duck, ducks, all would be so pretty with browns and gray colors.

I thought of something else that may need to be addressed. Can you add some color to the black hole of the fireplace? I know in the winter you will have a fire, but in the summertime, that space could use some color, perhaps a fern?

WOW, just read where your mantle is only 5" wide. There are still some things that could fit, though.

PS - I like the hearth items, but once again, you could use some color in the fireplace.

• User
    13 years ago

I like it better hung now that I see it and agree with what Luckygal said about if I were to walk into your house that piece wouldn't stick out at all to me in a bad way.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

"luckygal, I dont love it but if I only bought things I loved I would have pretty much an empty room. I am intrigued though please comment on the items on the hearth. I put those there as I had those items but they dont necessarily have to stay."

LOL Roseabbey, me and my big mouth! :-D My first impression of the vase, candleholders, and tiny plant is that they don't pull their weight in your decor. IMO they don't look like quality and bring down the overall look of your otherwise very nice furniture and room. They look like mass-produced things that thousands of people have in their homes. Not that everything we all have is original but these look quite common. Please keep in mind this is only my opinion and it might be different IRL as pics can be deceiving. I wish I had the problem of not liking many things. I struggle to practice restraint.

I think, since you have difficulty finding things you like you probably should keep the picture until you do find something you really, really like. I think it's out there but you may have to look at a lot of art before finding something that you can connect with.

Are you the one who loved a blue metal wall sculpture? If so, why don't you get it and see how you can make it work. If it's not you, just ignore, I don't read all the threads so might be confused.

IMO many people are afraid to like things that may be *different* and perhaps you need to allow yourself to do so. I speak from experience as for many years I decorated our home in a "corporate-acceptable" way. However, it wasn't my style and I'm much happier now to do it my way. Of course it did help that DH retired and we moved to the backwoods where no one cares!

Keep in mind that if you ask questions on forums you'll always get a variety of opinions for and against. Only you know how you want your home to look and I wish you well in finding things that are truly *you*.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

I like your art fine but what I think would look better above your fireplace is a deer head. Take my work on this. Your DH will love it and so will your friends. You might be able to pick one up cheap on Craigs List.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

newhomebuilder, you have touched on something I think may be part of the reason I am not loving the picture up there. I think it would look better if it incorporated some black like the screen. It is a gas fireplace so I couldnt put anything like a fern inside.

shee thanks

luckygal, I agree with you about the weight of the three items. The vase I have had for years, actually an item we picked up at an auction. Depending on what I put above the mantel, I may change out these items. I appreciate your comments. The few things I do love, no one can talk me out of buying but when I dont love it, I can be talked into it and I think that is the case here.

I may go back to my original idea about a circular sunburst type mirror but visually heavier looking than the one I had originally. I know it is a common thing but I liked the sparkle it added to the room with adding anymore color.

someone, sorry I just couldnt look into those big brown doe eyes of the deer everytime I sat in my family room.

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

I am certainly no designer but will just say what I would do. To me the painting stands out too much - its kind of all I see and my eye kind of gets stuck there and doesn't move around the room. Like someone said previously, I would go for something lighter or more subtle, but still in the warm tones, something that would compliment the fireplace but not overpower. At least that is my 2 cents.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks katrina, I agree with you. It is not as bad IRL as in the photo, the flash on my camera really emphasizes the metallic paint but it does still stand out too much imo too. I will be returning the picture.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

"I like your art fine but what I think would look better above your fireplace is a deer head. Take my work on this. Your DH will love it and so will your friends."

I wouldn't like it! :( :(

roseabbey - Of course you could put a fern, geraniums, anything you would like in your fireplace when not running it. I have used real and faux plants to brighten my box. I currently have a colorful painted fireplace "screen" in mine to hide the unsightly box.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

You seem to like flowers, so here's a site that might give you some ideas. The question is, what is better, a beautiful print or a not so beautiful original.
    You can get the gleecee prints now that look real good.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: flowers

• someone2010
    13 years ago

P.S. For some better ones, google images of Jan Van Huysum.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

someone2010, those are beautiful paintings. I dont necessarily want flowers, I just happened to like the look of this one. What I really want is a sunburst mirror. I am going to start another thread on this subject. Thanks for your suggestion though, deer head and all...lol.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Your room looks so comfy and warm with the stone and leather. I think the picture doesn't fit the look of the room. If you want a picture why not something like a "hunt scene" and english pub room type look. But, you might have to remove the monkey tables - they might "clash" .Or am I totally off base here?

• busybee3
    13 years ago

a couple of possibilities(from uttermost.com)that are pretty textural, but still neutral so would prob look really nice with the stone:

#07030 b 34x34"
    #07569 b 41x41"
    #13723 46x46"
    #12731 b 40x40"
    #14522 b 48x48"
    #07591 41x41"

sorry...don't know how to copy/paste pics into text here...

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

All from Horchow, all pricey, but all from their "X under $$" categories;
    Wooden Starburst
    {{!gwi}}

Steel medallion
    {{!gwi}}

Alita mirror
    {{!gwi}}

Branches
    {{!gwi}}

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

I think something rectangular or oval would be good...even an oval starburts. The steel medallion posted above would be a good shape but the color might get lost in your stone

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I'm sorry, but I frankly can't envision any type of mirror there. Something reflective against the rustic stone just doesn't compute in my mind. Hopefully someone can think of a type that I haven't considered.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

redecor, thanks, I really like the black one.

Pal, I never thought of branches, interesting. It reminded me, not sure why, that I have spanish bullfighting swords I should bring out and see what that looks like, certainly wouldnt be something you see everywhere!

debbie, I agree, I am looking for something round or oval to break up all the rectangules and squares. I thought I wanted something with color but not sure anymore.

ingrid, what would you put up there?

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

How wide is your fireplace surround? Would a 33" porcupine quill version of a starburst mirror take up enough visual space on it? Also from Horchow, one that always tickles me:

Here is a link that might be useful: Quill mirror

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting kitchendetective, but not really my taste. I am looking for something at least 3feet dia, nor more than 40" though.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I may keep the picture as part of my christmas decorations, looks pretty good with my reindeer.
    {{!gwi}}

• retiredprof
    13 years ago

Hi! New to this forum--been hanging out in Paint and Small Houses trying to get some color ideas.

Anyway...this thread reminds me of a similar predicament I had in my last house. My fireplace tapered toward the top and was brick. Furniture and accessories in the room had a "masculine" feel--at least so said my daughter. When I gently told her that I was looking for a moosehead, she insisted she would find something that was right.

Well, she did: a large clock, round, simple but traditional. Almost had a "weather" feel to it. I added a few candles and a vintage brass matchbox to the mantle, and it all worked together very well.

A clock as a possibility never crossed my mind. I still would like a moosehead though!

• lizziebethtx
    13 years ago

here's an affordable starburst that is chunkier in size than most. I have it. I love it. So do the other 18 reviewers. Your firebox is black and so is this. They have free shipping now Just a thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: starburst mirror

• User
    13 years ago

Wow! I am catching up here, and have to say how different the lighting/room view/color issue is from the first photo posted to the last one at 16:16 with the Christmas decor. That one, it looks wonderful and warm and looks like it belongs. The first photo the fireplace and even the walls had a more gray cast to them, which I think is why the picture and the reds/burgundy looked a bit like a miss.
    Amazing what lighting does.
    I was also going to add that the mirror storklady just posted looks lovely- if you were still thinking mirror- size looks perfect, it's affordable and it does have the black that you were seeking (but its not too heavy looking at least in my opinion).
    And, you had asked- my fireplace is a very generic brick with a very unattractive mantel that I have ignored for the 20 years I have lived in this house.
    Finally - I meant to say originally that I LOVE that fan.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

retiredprof, thanks for the suggestion about the clock but I already have a big clock in my dining room, so I wanted something difference and something reflective.

storklady, that is a beautiful mirror and affordable but I think it has too much mirror, I dont want it to the reflect the fan so I need something with more metal and less glass.

sheila, yes lighting definately make a big difference. The wall color in the first picture is nothing like what I have irl. The christmas picture is closer but still not the color that is on the walls. I still am looking for a sunburst of somekind, I think I have narrowed it down to something two tone antique gold and black....now I just have to find it. Thanks, the fan is Thomasville, part of the Carmel collection.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I have no suggestions, but your Christmas picture is divine! I love how you've added some color and texture, but it's not too much. Very simple, tasteful, and perfectly lovely!

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I saw this one and don't know if it's been posted before... almost passed it by because it is so different - but then I tried to imagine it on your stone and thought it might work really well - just chunky enough to carry the fireplace.

I know you said you didn't want too much mirror so as to not reflect the fan, but have you thought about hanging it so it points ever so slightly downward and reflects the far end of the room instead? (don't know what's there). If so...this might be worth considering? I didn't go back and look at previous posts again to see if it's already been posted. I'm searching for my own sunburst mirror vicariously, since I love them, but they are so wrong for my house. :-]

• oopsie913
    13 years ago

i LIKE THE ONEs THAT OLYCHICK PUT ON HER POST... imho i THINK AS PRETTY AS THE RED PICTURE IS, it is too much the same shape and size as you fireplace surround is... although i do say it looks a lot more balanced with the items now on either side... perhaps after Christmas you can find a mirror like that post and put some candlesticks with red candles in it... that color looks great with the tan walls...by the by what color are your walls there.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

franksmom, thank you!

olychic, where did you find those mirrors, I especially love the first one but the color of the second one would really stand out.

oopsie, I am still looking for a sunburst mirror. I do like the picture with the christmas decorations but not by it self. The color of the walls is not tan but a taupe with green and gold undertones depending on the light. The paint is Behr Harvest Brown.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

The first one is from CSN called the Jacob, but others have it too, but all the exact same price...seems like they are csn clones.

The second is available several places but Linen and Things seemed to be the least expensive of those that came up initially. I use "thefind.com" to compare prices sometimes.

Diamante Reflections Beveled Wall Mirror - Sunburst Splendor

I can't figure out how to post pics and a link to more than one source at the same time to keep track of where you find something; maybe it's impossible.

• awm03
    13 years ago

roseabbey, I just don't think that art piece works. It's too floral or florid or something. Your room is handsome & has strong lines & an updated traditional feel. The mirrors could work, there are so many good suggestions. But how about taking a different tack with the art work?

This J.M.W. Turner copy swings both ways, traditional yet contemporary. It's subtle, blends in with your other stuff, looks natural as the blues, browns, greens & grays work with the stone:

Apologies for the crooked paste-up. I don't have sophisticated software.

A good antique-looking landscape would work well too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow Storm:Steam Bpat Off a Harbor's Mouth

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you olychic, I will look those up.

awn, thank you. That is quite pretty up there. I do like the colors you have chosen. I think though I do prefer the round shape since I have so many lines.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida