SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simoneb_gw

Crown Moulding for Cabinets: Price Went Up. Should I Still Do It?

simoneb
15 years ago

Ugh. We signed off on the order for our cabinets last week -- included everything, except the moulding because the cabinet lady was having a hard time getting the pricing from the company. What we signed off on, did include the cost of installing the moulding though ($300). A few days ago, she called and told me the moulding (which is just 3, eight-foot pieces) would be $304. I thought $600 sounded a little pricey for 3 pieces of moulding, but decided to do it. She said, "Great, I'll send you a separate contract for this." Today she called and said, "Sorry, but the cabinet company tells me it's an extra $90 for the color glaze you have chosen AND it's $180 to ship the moulding because of the size."

She definitely should have told me all of this initially. I don't think it was intentional, but it's not right nonetheless. I asked if she would be willing to absorb some of the extra costs, but of course she said no. Now I don't know what to do. My husband is leaning toward scrapping the moulding because of the cost (which is now $870 instead of $600). We're spending what to us seems like a lot on the cabinets as it is. Will they look unfinished without the moulding? Am I just being too frugal to think about scrapping them? I really wanted the moulding -- the rest of our apartment can't handle crown moulding because of issues with sofits and beams so I thought I would get it here.

Sorry for the length of the post. I am just terribly confused!

Comments (23)