SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pansygrrl_gw

Layout help please? 11x12 kitchen with traffic issues

pansygrrl
11 years ago

I've been mulling over our kitchen remodel for while, studying books and NKBA info, and I've moved up to lurking on GW for the past few months. I would tremendously appreciate some fresh perspectives!!!

KITCHEN USE

We are two adults & three cats, both humans cook & bake, no children. Would like to casually entertain more, but we don't even have dining space for the two of us; we tend to eat on the couch unless we can sit outside. We are beer and gardening casual, like the look of butcher-block, soapstone, shaker/craftsman; less maintenance is better. We do seasonal baking & putting up veggies (when we need extra prep space, we put a folding table in the middle of the kitchen - this works).

This is not our forever house; plan to be here for ~10 more years. House is a 1940s sideways cape with a bungalow-ish feel (wish it was a bungalow) and 8' ceilings in a working-class neighborhood. We have a modest budget (15k would be great, because we need to replace the floors throughout also, but we're not in a rush). I want to incorporate a hoosier cabinet into the plan for affordable furnishings, because I love the look and functionality.

#1 priority is to fix the basic layout, and #2 wish is to have it feel bright, airy and spacious.

The current layout has gas range & fridge in the line of traffic into the house from the back door and from the living space to the one bathroom in the house. Microwave & toaster oven take up most of the counter space, and only one person can reach the sink at a time. We need a dishwasher. We're going to keep our basic white fridge and range, but would consider separate stove top/oven.

Planning to remove soffits above cabinets and 1/2 wall between kitchen and living room. That said, 1/2 wall has baseboard heat on both sides, so if we can find a way to make it work in our favor, that would save $$$. (Down the road we might take down some part of the wall into the front porch to open up the living space.)

We would love more natural light; the current windows are small & on east side of house. We can change windows but the only walls that can change are the 1/2 wall, and we can also take out the kitchen closet.

* Space for two to work at the same time (prep+(prep or cook or clean))

* Breakfast nook/peninsula seating for 2-4 (expandable flip-top for occasional extra prep space?)

* Drop-off area with a door, like an appliance garage, for chargers, keys, etc.

* Coffee station

* Dishwasher

* Sink preferably under a window and not tucked up against a corner

* Place for trash/recycling (under-sink maybe?)

* Space for kitties' food/water bowls

* Microwave & toaster oven out of the way, off the counter (not a fan of OTR - it seems awfully high)

* Cookbook shelves

* Vertical storage for cookie sheets, cutting boards

* Drawers for pots/pans, baking pans, tupperware, cast iron frying pans & bean pot/casserole

* Appliance storage (kitchenaid mixer, cuisinart, toaster oven (waffle irons, crockpot, blender, panini press can leave the kitchen))

* Exterior ventilation for range hood

* Functional (shallow?) spice storage

NICE TO HAVE

* More light / change windows: a) bigger over sink, b) both same height, c) new window/glass block on the south-facing wall

* Few upper cabinets, or judiciously placed to minimize visual impact (and too much fur for lots of open shelves)

* Hanging rack for frying pans

* Upper cabinets flush w/ ceiling

* storage for root vegetables

* prep sink

Comments (6)