SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwrede

Help! Need opinions - Marble Backsplash cut wrong

mwrede
13 years ago

I posted this in the bathroom forum but I was hoping to get some opinions from the experts on this forum as well.

Our master bathroom is nearly finished (still getting faucets installed, waiting on glass doors, need to put up sconces, mirrors, hardware etc). I was hoping to wait to post until after it's all done but I have a dilemma and need help deciding what to do.

The Carrara vanity counters came in and the backsplash was cut incorrectly. There are separate his and hers vanities on different walls and each was supposed to have a rectangular backsplash and a left sidesplash with a curved design in the front.

Long story short they screwed up and made a design on the backsplashes too (plus the smaller vanity was cut completely wrong - they thought the wall was on the right).

They can re-cut pieces for the smaller vanity but there is no other 96" piece to re-cut the large backsplash correctly. There are no more slabs from the same lot left. They said doing a seam would look bad. They are offering us a credit (not sure how much) to compensate us for this mistake.

My main concern is what to do now. They can do them as pictured in the link below with a design on both the backsplash and the sidesplash but I really don't like this option.

Should I get rid of the sidesplashes and just have them put the design on both sides of each backsplash so at least it's symmetrical?

I have thought about scratching the solid marble backsplashes all together but there is a small gap between the 96" countertop and the back wall. Should I do mirrors all the way down to the countertop? I could try to order molding to match the cabinets and trim frameless mirrors with that.

I also thought of doing a tile backsplash but I'd have to get the tile guy back, order more tile plus most of the carrara tile is much lighter than the countertops. It would also cost a ton more.

Any ideas anyone? I would really appreciate any thoughts. I need to call them back to tell them what I want them to do. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our bathroom

Comments (7)