SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amarantha_gw

Questions about vintage stoves

amarantha
13 years ago

Hello,

We are working on completing our kitchen project and I recently found a vintage stove. I love vintage, the price is right and we are told it works. My husband's concern is about the pilot light and gas being "on" all the time. It's not just a safety concern but about the gas usage/waste. I grew up with a Tappan gas range so feel comfortable about using gas but I'm wondering if those of you who have vintage stoves or those that just know about them would care to comment on the pilots being on all the time. Did you install any shut-off valves that allow you to turn the gas on/off easily.

The stove I found is by Odin Range called a "Beautyrange". I don't recall ever hearing of them before but I think it is probably from the early 50's. I would love an O'Keefe & Merritt or a Chambers or even a Tappan "Deluxe" like we had growing up. Unfortunately I didn't find any that were in the budget.

Also, just read recently about an issue of asbestos possibly being used in old stoves. Anyone ever heard of that or had issues with it? We won't want to get involved with restoration or repair if that is an issue.

The other range I saw was a used Garland 6 burner. It definitely needs restoration - that one actually fits our kitchen better (more rustic)but needs more work. Anyone ever renovate an old Garland and care to share details? Was it worth it?

Thanks all for any information you can share.

Comments (13)