SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Can we talk microwave shelf now?

TxMarti
11 years ago

My question is - do you build an all-size-fits-all shelf or make it fit a specific microwave?

Ok, so our plan changed again last night. Just to get a visual, we put the lower cabinets in place and placed the uppers on top of them. That's when we saw a problem with the double oven cabinet. It has a 2nd oven and microwave in it, and is 25 inches deep. Dh thought it would swallow the 17 inch upper between it and the vent hood. Also, placing it where I wanted meant moving an a/c vent. So I agreed to putting the oven in a lower cabinet and the microwave on a shelf in an upper.

{{!gwi}}

It appears that a lot of cabinets with a microwave shelf are deeper than the standard 12", but since we have a soffit, that won't really work here. Our current microwave is 17.5" deep so we will buy a smaller one, but there aren't any that will fit in a cabinet that is 12" deep. I searched both here and houzz and found a lot of kitchens that have a standard upper cabinet with an additional shelf in them, like this.

{{!gwi}}

If you do this, do you make the shelf a permanent paredt of the cabinet, or removable so you can change it depending on the size of the microwave?

We use a microwave only to warm up food or boil water for tea, so spending $300 for a space saver seems silly. But we also want to make the shelf fit any microwave we, or future owners might have.

I thought this one was pretty neat with the extended shelf below the micro and a vent piece above it. Dh thought the vent piece looked dated, but I like the idea.

Contemporary Kitchen design by San Francisco Interior Designer Amoroso Design

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida