SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oopsie913

to chair rail or not to chair rail, that is the question!

oopsie913
14 years ago

And while you are at it, can you give me an idea of what color to paint THIS HALLWAY?

Anyway, we have a 45 year old ranch we are slowly rehabbing (a very young house to us) and the trim is unpainted throughout and has a reddish color stain which is even more repulsive to us LOL. We are almost finished with the kitchen and adjoining family room which is vaulted with the beams as the only remaining unpainted trim. We stained them much deeper and it looks great.

Taking forever to get to my QUESTION, one of the 3 hallways is in view of the family room which connects to the front hall and also is connected to the back hallway where the bedrooms are. The hallways are now a yucky beige on top and an even yuckier green on bottom with a stained chair rail in all 3 hallways. We originally were going to do dove wing by benjamin moore on top which are the walls in the FR & kitchen and staining the rails dark like the beams and then doing this darker grey called Stone Harbor. HOWEVER, we are now thinking to just get rid of all the hallway chair rail and give it a clean look. What's your opinion?? To chair rail or not to chair rail?? I mean we are thinking, chair rails were done to protect chairs, right? Well who the hell puts a chair in a hallway?! And also does anyone have an opinion of what color walls before we go too far. A color that will blend with blacks whites cremes/ burgundies and pinks. Thanks in advance for reading all this and hope you all had a great Christmas day!

Comments (5)