SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Fireplace Art Update....Photoshop Req.?

ttodd
12 years ago

I've been working on what to put above the fireplace and came up w/ a combo of some of the suggestions from my previous thread.

Here's pic from 1st thread:

Some of you said 1 large black and white and some of you said to continue w/ the gallery effect and hang multiple pics.

What I came up w/ was a combo of the 2:

1 small new pic w/ an oversized mat in a large frame and off to the corner 2 small old pics not framed and casually leaning against the wall. I also thought that 2 leaning unframed pics would 'loosen' up the effect so everything wouldn't look so rigid.

Here's the pic that I bought:

The actual pic is 11x14 and I thought about putting it in a custom sized frame not quite as big as the stock poster sized frame (or the same size as the poster sized - what are your thoughts?) that I used for the biggest pic on my desk wall. I thought the palest shade of grey (almost white) mat would look nice to pick up on the shadows of the snow in the pic and still keep the whole area light and airy. A black gallery frame would pic up the black trees.

Here are the 2 pics casually leaning against the wall on the top ledge of the mantle:

Before I make a huge mistake by having a custom frame and mat made I was wondering if someone might be able to photoshop something above my fireplace as a simulation?

I tried to get an idea myself by hanging what was left of my largest framed black and whites over the fireplace but it looks awful becaue the scale is so off.

What do you think of the overall concept that I described?

PS - Marcolo - I loved the horns (?) that you posted on the original thread. What are they and where did you find that pic?

Comments (16)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I love what you're thinking for the pics in their own right.

However, I think the fireplace needs something wider than high. It's a beautiful focal point, and something too small just looks too small.

Since you like the gallery look so much, have you considered somehow even two, smaller pics the same width x height to create a wider presence?

I can't get over how beautiful your room is. I'd love to see the rest of your home!

Christine

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

I didn't read thru' the earlier thread, so this may have already been ruled out... but I think a color photo, print, or better yet - a painting would work better than more B&W. One would focus independently on the fireplace and its artwork, and on the terrific salon-style wall to its right.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    12 years ago

I like your idea a lot, actually. I think your fireplace wall will then be cohesive with the rest of the room. I love everything about your home. It's beautiful.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I agree with Jan. I think it's beautiful just like that.

• ww340
    12 years ago

Personally, I would like to see a much larger version of the picture you have over the fireplace. I just feel like that would give you more balance. If I could photoshop at all, I would simply enlarge what you have to at least the size of the large picture you have hanging vertically.

BTW, I have a desk very similar to yours that my mother left me. She always called it a "Lincoln desk", but I have never seen another like it. It folds down in the front and has all those cubbies. Do you know much about them?

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Yes do it, the contrast in the the pictures is so striking that it will make people look at it. Don't go too small on the frame and I'd love to see a wide band of gray around the photo. I think you're spot on.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I like the picture a lot, you and I have the same taste when it comes to snow scenes.

What about something with a touch of red similar to this picture?

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CEFreeman - You're right on about the size of what should go over the FP. I want it to stand as the main focal point & I don't want to overwhelm it w/ something too big. The idea of something wider than it is higher sounds very complimentary. That is a really sharp idea!

WhiteRiverSooner - Hi! So nice to see you post - I haven't seen you post too much here so I'm glad that you chimed in! I will def. be getting a much bigger picture to balance out the rest. Just wasn't sure if the big poster sized frame would be too big.
    I don't know much about those desks. DH's greatgrandfather made and carved the one in my picture.

OakleyOK - I LOVE that picture and I think that I could do something like that myself. I mean really - alot! I could completely see something like that over my sofa instead of the Mike Sandy art. The pic that you posted is just wonderful. I hope that it's mice out tomorrow - I'd love to experiment. Where did you find that pic?

Thanks again everyone!

Really like that idea CEFreeman! Great eye!

• bungalow_house
    12 years ago

I am no photoshopper, this is from MS Paint, but is this kinda sorta what you were describing?

• bungalow_house
    12 years ago

smaller photo, bigger mat

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Jumping in a bit late but ttodd, you need to get out of the medical field and into the design field. You have such a keen eye imho! Your home is fabulous!

I liked les's framed baby gown and marcolo's gramophone horns ideas a lot. I think adding something with dimension rather than another shallow, flat surface would balance the weight of the fp.

On the other hand...I think chalkboard paint could be fun. Write a fresh joke every day for your amusement, or a list of chores for the kids, your list of stuff to do, or draw your own version of a tree.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bungalow House - thank you so much for doing CEFreeman's idea. I really like the way looks w/ a wider frame and less height. Perfectly balances the fireplace w/o overwhelming it, continues the line from wall to wall and gives the eye a place to rest.

Thanks Deedee99! I really like Les's idea a lot too. I'm playing around w/ that idea for my entry hall. It probably sounds weird to do it there but I really want to make sure that the children are represented w/ a space dedicated to them. I thought that putting their Christening outfits & little white sweaters against a pale grey backdrop and in white frames would be very elegant and then I would do a more free form collage of them on the big entry wall.

I think my Dad is going to have a few frame projects for me!

So those were gramaphones? The uppermost mantle is only 2" deep. I think they were so cool and I could completely see a collection of them on the buffet that we turned into a TV stand. That's why I was curious to know more about where Marcolo found them.

A few weekends ago I painted one whole wall in our DR w/ chalkboard paint. The kids love it - now I just need to decide on white walls for the rest of the DR or pale grey walls.

As far as a career in design? Our original plan was that once we bought our business that I would cut my medical hours from FT to PT and then I could embark on some furniture stuff w/ DH and grow the business by spinning off my stuff & design in a separate business but since helping to start this new practice I don't see being able to do that in the foreseeable future. Honestly it makes me a bit sad but my boss is also my friend and I really want to help her out too and get her stuff going. She knows my goals and we've discussed me going PT for her as soon as the practice is off the ground and steady.

In fact DH and I were just brainstorming on a really cool grandfather clock idea this morning.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

That was exactly what I was seeing in my head. I vote for bigger pic because it fills the space without more visual clutter. Your eye goes to the pic, rather than the space around it.
    [whisper] just lower it a little so the wider, horizontal space is above the pic, rather than below. [end whisper]

I wish I knew how to photoshop or paint. I even have Paint Shop Pro and can't do a darned thing with it. I'd love to figure out how to use Sketch-up for my outside!!

DR: I vote for light gray, as long as it doesn't dull your gorgeous woodwork!

Kids' gallery. I love the idea of their little, baby stuff. I'm sure you know this, but don't forget to spend the $$ and have them museum quality preserved. Cloth still rots in frames altho we might think it's sealed. Even the wrong, non-acid-free paper can do terrible damage. I've always loved shadowboxes such as these with heirloom clothing in them!

When I have walls, paint and trim, will you guys help me!? [LOL] I love your homes. :)

Christine

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

"Our original plan was that once we bought our business that I would cut my medical hours from FT to PT and then I could embark on some furniture stuff w/ DH and grow the business by spinning off my stuff & design in a separate business"

I know! I am rooting for you!

I was wondering how deep the mantel was. 4" is pretty restrictive.

Did I miss your post on the chalkboard wall in the dr? I would love to see it!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The top is actually 3", the pedestal tops are 7" sq. and the curved part is 10" at it's widest. The whole height is about 6'.

I didn't do a seperate post about the chalkboard wall in the DR. I got it done in time for the kids to draw Teepee's, Native American Indians, Pilgrims on horseback shooting a turkey w/ a bow and arrow, pumpkins and UFO's for our Thanksgiving Dinner w/ both sides of the family. Yep - UFO's.

• jea2007
    12 years ago

I love the fireplace and the gallery wall. I love the desk too, but I think the current location distracts from the fireplace because it is dark against the light wall and draws your eye. I think your fireplace will pop more if the wall is all gallery and the desk is in another location.

I also feel it interupts the flow of the gallery and makes it less of an impact. Instead of the gallery design itself being a decorative element it looks more like an after thought because it shapes around the desk. If you had the wall just gallery it becomes an element in and of itself and then drawns you in to examine the individual pictures more closely.

JMHO

Jane