SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Island Lights:clear glass or down light pendants. Can we discuss?

babs711
12 years ago

I see so many of both of these lately. They're lovely. But I'm wondering how practical they are in real life.

Photos just for fun:

Clear:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Down Lighting:

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

It's one thing to have the clear bulbs in an entry, an office, a staircase, bathroom, bedroom, etc. But what about having them (or even chandeliers without shades on the bulbs) in a main space like the kitchen, wetbar or eat-in dining area? Is it that much harder on the eyes?

The downlighting over an island...is it enough lighting? Is it too concentrated in one space or does it disperse enough light into the kitchen once you have your recessed and undercabinet lighting?

Right now we have frosted glass pendants. So I've really not thought about the specifics of other types of lighting until I started seeing what I was actually drawn to for this build...which doesn't seem to be frosted glass pendants!

I'm hoping those of you that have (or have had) these types of lighting can chime in with your thoughts and experiences. I hope this discussion helps a few others out. I know I'm not the only one who has struggled with island lighting decisions. Thanks guys!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz