SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Mirror/vanity proportions in bathroom (long)

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

I asked about this on the Bathrooms forum, but have had no responses, so I thought I'd try here.

As I've mentioned here before, we're updating our 1950 bathroom, keeping the old tile. We're replacing the sink, vanity, mirror, light, and faucets. This is our main bathroom and also the one that guests use. (We have a small master bath.)

The PO of our house removed the original small mirrored cabinet and hung a large oak one with Hollywood lights. Though it is ugly, it provides a lot of good storage, and it's nice having the three mirrors (enables me to check the back of my head, for example!). So I decided to replace it with a frameless beveled triview mirror in the same size. Our sink is going to be 30" wide (that's the largest that will fit). They are going to try to recess the mirror, but if not, it will be surface mounted.

Originally, we were going to get a 30" triview mirror, but then I realized that each section would only be 10" wide and thought that would look cramped. The extra 5" of the larger one will be in the middle mirror. So my question: will this look odd? Here's a couple of pictures:

Old:

With the old mirror off:

I am also not so happy now with the idea of the new mirror being surface mounted, because it's going to interfere with those built-in soap/toothbrush holders. I suppose I could change it to something else, but there will be an extra charge for restocking, I'm sure, and it's a bit late to order another cabinet (the work is supposed to start around the 15th).

Comments (10)