SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Cafe or tiered curtains.

palimpsest
11 years ago

Custom shutters with split or tiered opening (top half and bottom half separate) would be ideal for a project I am working on.

In the evening the neighbors have a straight on view into the eating area from up above, so it would be nice to be able to close that. In the daytime, there are some ground level, privacy proximity issues where it would be nice to close the lower and keep the upper open for light.

Shutters are coming in at about $1000 and up for this paired window, and there are lots of other things that need to be addressed.

So, an alternative seems to be tiered curtains.

The thing that I don't love about tiered curtains is that if you use rod pocket they don't open and close nicely, IMO. If you use rings of the clip on typy there is a huge (to me) gap of about 1.5-2" between the rod and the top of the fabric, and it starts to look like hardware gap fabric hardware gap fabric, in succession.

So:

Buy tab tops in a longer size (if possible) and turn down and sew the tabs on the back to create back tabs? Buy sew on rings and sew them to the top edge of the fabrick? Sew the rings onto the back of the fabric so that the top of the fabric touches the rod instead of hanging down?

Confounding this issue is: don't a lot of people think these are "country" or hokey?

I see a fair amount of these used in the urban environment (at least the lower tier only option) for privacy issues, but they mostly seem to be of the IKEA sort on a tension rod.

If I am going to do this type of treatment though, I feel like I might as well do it right and semi-permanently with good rods and good curtains rather than the quick fix that could still be $100+ all told and then "saving" for the shutters. Too many times the quick fix ends up being around indefinitely because it solves the problem at hand, but it still Looks temporary.

Comments (21)