SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Would you paint or stain this dresser?

rjinga
14 years ago

I posted this on the furniture forum and got a response back about what they thought it was material wise, but I'm wondering what might be the best method of fixing this dresser up. I will also be changing out the pulls (even though I do like them) the 2 bottom ones are missing and there's likely no chance I'd find these anywhere.

Paint? black or white (shabby chic like)

Stain? similiar color or something darker?

Thanks for your opinions.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (55)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I'd be thinking about how I could paint it, maybe as a modern two-toned piece. Check out the red bookcase, about 1/6 way down in the link. ZipDee is good transforming those sorts of pieces, too. Maybe do a search for some of her threads. Though, if you are only selling certain styles in your booth ... could it be made into something sleek and high-gloss for a modern Paris apartment?

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Painted Bookshelf

• User
    14 years ago

You say your booth is in an antique mall....I'd leave it as a natural "antique" and not paint it.

• Related Discussions

What color would you paint/stain my front door? Please help!

Q

Comments (19)
    I just wanted to update my post with a final decision. They pressed us for a stain choice two months ago and they JUST STAINED IT ON THURSDAY! How's that for urgency? Anyway, after much thought and consideration we went with Minwax Walnut gel stain for the front door. Thanks to all who offered thoughts and opinions. I think it turned out beautiful. Here are a few pics as I know that's what we all REALLY want to see... :-)
    ...See More

Would you consider using a dresser as a buffet/sideboard?

Q

Comments (22)
    You're welcome Anele. It may not have worked, but knowing that can be a big help. Although who knows? Sometimes the "wrong" things can work perfectly in the right settings. I find that until you try something, you are never sure if it will work for you or not. That's why as I didn't stop when making the virtual. The main thing is that it makes *you* happy and works for *you*. Not everyone here at GW. Because if you try to do that you'll never get anything done. Personally I like a wide variety of styles of furniture. Mid-Century Modern, Art Deco, Victorian....Basically anything older than MCM. Newer furniture just doesn't have the woods or is built like the older stuff was. In my opinion anyway. I also think it's very important to reuse. I'm not saying I don't like some of the newer furniture, but I'm not passionate about. You'll know when you find the right piece. I just hope it fits your space! Since we're on the subject of dresser being used for other purposes I bought this piece pictured below a few weeks ago to turn into an entertainment center if I ever talk my hubby into getting a flat screen TV. Once cleaned up I'll stain it dark walnut, freshen the hardware with spray paint if Brasso doesn't work first then convert the drawers behind the doors to hold the cable and the sound system boxes. The other drawers will be used for storing movies. This could easily work for a buffet too. I only paid $5.49 for it. Half price furniture day at a local thrift store. Do you have a picture of you dining room? I'm thinking I've seen it, but I could be mixed up about that. My brain is much better with long term memory.
    ...See More

What would you do with this dresser?

Q

Comments (6)
    Oh I'd take that in a second! As for what to to..here are some ideas: light white and blue, with some crackle modpodge some funky maps or something on the drawers and paint the outside a beachy color paint a light color and distress the edges paint it a beach color and take out a drawer or two and use baskets instead Milk paint is a great paint, but it will stain easily even with water contact, so keep that in mind. You can also use latex paint and get a unique effect if you paint it with VERY little paint on the brush. I call it dry brushing, I don't know if there's a "real" term for it. I've done it on a bunch of pieces for our home (a former cottage). It basically looks like this when done, up close a before and after of some shutters I did it with and I put a link to my blog post with a video that shows it being done below. Here is a link that might be useful: blog post
    ...See More

Would you stain or paint this wood work?

Q

Comments (10)
    I painted all the woodwork in this house when we moved in in June 1984. It's had a few touchups since then, mainly due to a burst 2nd floor pipe causing a great deal of harm 18 years ago. But it looks very good and needs nothing done to it. I have always used oil-based enamel for woodwork - wears SO much better. Mine has no nicks or chips at all. So, I'd paint all that wood but be sure to use an oil enamel.
    ...See More
  • Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I'll agree--don't put any more work into it than you need to sell it. I like that Deco look, myself, and I'd probably go with the restore a finish as well.

While your theme might be Paris apartment, not all your customers are necessarily going to be looking just for that style.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I searched Lowes & Walmart for the restore a finish, need to check Home Depot tomorrow, Could not find it. Would something like rejeuventating oil (by Watco) be the same? I'm not familiar with what restore a finish is or how it works, but this product says its for oil finished wood? and after this product is applied and has dried, wax can be applied?

I'm really torn on what to do with it, I guess I need to first sand it down and see what it looks like and then IF there is still a lot of flaws, then I think it will be best to paint or stain it. I did find some more modern pulls today in a brushed nickel, that would look great if I were to paint it black!

I like the pulls on it, but I am sure I will find another piece that I could use them on too.

• wantoretire_did
    14 years ago

If you have an Ace Hardware, or other smaller hardware store in your area, you most likely can get Restore-a-finish there. Easy instructions are on the can. You just need 0000 steel wool and soft rags.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I would shabby chic that baby BLACK and give it a new life. Please don't misunderstand, but you can find this dresser almost at any flea market. And I think it would look striking as a black piece. I think a little black in any room is good looking.

.....Jane

• User
    14 years ago

palimpsest said almost exactly what I was thinking about the pulls. I was going to search for something and link it, but right now hubby is cooking breakfast and I'm trying to get rid of pain from dental work last Wednesday.
    I usually can tell wood right away, but I can't on this. It's similar to the grain in some mahogany is as close as I can come though it does remind me a bit of Peruvian Walnut, I don't think that's it.

• User
    14 years ago

Breakfast is ready and I'm eating, but had to come back to add I'd carefully fill in the holes in the top drawer and add knobs that look similar to the round part in the original pulls. If you can't find that then go for something decorative in glass (not the typical) or ceramic. Check Hobby Lobby, they have some really neat knobs and of course they are on sale quite often. I think for half price too.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

update, applied a stripper and then sanded the top, the burn spot is still not out and it's appearing to remove the finish/pattern of the wood grain...so I think I may have to paint it. any other thoughts on what I can do to make it work unpainted? I really wanted to get it back to it's natural state and then make the decision. The wood color was a really pretty reddish hue when it was wet. Which I would like, but that darn dark spot may take that option out of the picture.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Too bad for that burn! I like the way the sanded wood looks, lol. Always have.

It looks like luaun (or luan) panel to me. I certainly wouldn't worry about painting it. I was picturing a high gloss black, too. Or maybe a gray with charcoal glazed antiquing (trim areas only? Not sure how that would come out on the textured wood; test, test, test : ) Both could fit in with your Paris flea market theme.

Are you going to fill those nicks and dings in the side trim pieces?

• jant
    14 years ago

This is a piece that probably won't sell for more than $75. I think you have to figure out how much labor you're willing to put into it/how much will you make after all is said and done?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I agree with Squirrel, the burn and sanding is probably through the veneer and into the next later of the plywood.
    I would do whatever is easiest, perhaps stain the top really dark to camouflage the burn, and poly the rest...or paint.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What about painting the top black and keeping the rest as is (or doing the RAF and then poly on top?_ would that work? Is that what you are saying palimpsest? I guess I could paint the top (test) and see how it looks with the rest and go from there.

I guess I have nothing but time on my hands, so I'll do this dresser to add some bulk to my booth area and it will get my juices flowing to work on the other 5 pieces I have in the garage :)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Black would seem heavy, with the rest untouched. I like the 'stain darker' idea better.

If you make it real pretty, or handsome, you might get more than $75, mentioned above. I have no idea what something like that would sell for, with a restored finish.

Would you mind sharing how much you paid for it, out of curiosity, for comparison?

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

squirrel, are we talking like a wood tone stain, like walnut or not quite that dark? I think once the wood is treated with the Restore a finish or even just the poly, it will be much darker (I'll have to post pics of it along the way).

I paid $40 for it and 2 wood/laminate 6 ft bookshelves, so if you split up between the 3 then $13.33 :)

Depending on how it turns out, I'll come up with a price. probably in the range of $75 to $100, the drawer pulls alone (if replaced) would be worth $25 or more.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

$13. Ha! That's funny. You will do well.

I'd wait to see what the color/value of the body comes out to in the end, before worrying about the top too much. You just want to complement that and will likely come up with something while working.

I wonder how a wax would look on that unfinished wood. Just to protect and finish its surface a bit. Maybe not a lot of color change with that. I really like its natural worn look. The sanding looks a bit off-grain in that narrow area along the front. I'd probably try to get it more to-grain there, in terms of the surface scratching.

• bigideaslittlefunds
    14 years ago

Why not try black stain instead of paint. I used black stain and it covered up marks like this using a couple of good coats. It looks like I painted it black but it won't peel. Then applied matte finish. Looked like new.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

To me it looks like there is either a fill or paint still on the "burn spot" area. If that's the case, stain won't take evenly and it will look like crap. And if you've applied stain, you'll have to remove it to paint if you do enough for a decent job, so more work. It's going to go beyond the value quickly. I'd paint it with a crackle finish and do an antique finish over the crackle....shabby chic type of thing. Why? Because it's quick and cheap and you can't make any money if you spend too much time on the piece.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

It'd sell quickly in my area if you painted it black and added glass knobs. $175 or so...I've seen things like this in my local antique/crafts malls.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fortunately, I have only spent time "discussing" the piece :) and only a little time working on it, so far I've sanded the top and applied stripper to the drawer fronts, nothing seemed to come off of them however..there is more to do!!

igloochic not sure what it is in that area, it's not fill and it's not paint, I think it's just the way the finish was removed by the sander, I had to keep going back over and over that spot to try to get the burnt layers off...

glass knobs would be a nice touch, but the way this dresser is currently set up, I'd need to fill in holes and redrill new ones? or maybe I could use the 2 innermost holes and fill in the 2 outermost holes on each drawer?

Lots of neat knobs out there, and how cool to use colored ones?

"Available Colors Include Clear, Depression Pink, Ruby Red, Cobalt, Amber, Amethyst, Depression Green and Light Blue"

I'd be thrilled to get $175 for it, I will have to do some looking around in the antique shops and see if I see anything like it and what it's priced at.

I'll post updated pictures as I progress and decide what to do with it. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments!!!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I agree. Dressed up -- at least $125 and possibly $150-$175. Stylish, useful, and relatively inexpensive.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I made ONE stop at Hobby Lobby, and Oh the glass knobs!!! I bought 6 different ones! I just could not decide. They are all so unique and pretty. When I get a little further with this dresser, I'll be back asking which one's you all think look better!!

Squirrel, I'd REALLY be thrilled If I could get that price for this dresser. It really does have good bones, it's very solid everywhere.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That's exactly what I was wondering. If it's good and solid ... $$$.

Good luck with it all!!

• User
    14 years ago

Rjinga, I was sure you'd be able to find knobs you liked at Hobby Lobby. Were they on sale? I've not looked closely at their ads lately. Last time I was there I looked at their knobs and when I saw this chest of drawers I thought that would be the first place I'd look.
    As for staining it, I'd go dark, but not too dark, and try to work in a faux grain in burnt area. Painted just won't get you as much $$$'s for all your work.
    How about adding lavender scented paper to line the drawers to appeal the potentials buyers sense of smell too?

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I'm guessing someone tried to "fix" the burn and it's either a mix of fill and maybe an oil paint, who knows, but it's not "wood" like the other wood (no grain) so it won't stain evenly with the balance, so scrap the stain idea and go straight to paint so save yourself some hell.

Fill if the holes are appropriate, and be sure to sand well where you fill. You need to get to a point where when your eyes are closed you won't feel the fill if it's going to be a good paint job.

BUy a quickie kit at Michaels or something with antique black. It's a three step (easy steps) process and gives you a fabulous antique finish.

Done well...if this were in my antique store, as I said, done well...I'd price it at double what you're thinking (300 to 350) and it would sell easily. But it has to be solid, not wobbly, with easy pull drawers and a nice paint job. Easily done with not too much time involved :o)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

igloochic, is there a particular kit you mean, with "Buy a quickie kit at Michaels or something with antique black".

Sorry to horn in...might be a fix for a stalled project of mine.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

I once did a simialr piece. I stripped the old finish and re-did the stain. But on the top, there was a lot of damage. So I marbelized it. I had no experience with that so I made up the process. I just used some old semi-gloss whitish paint as a background. After that dried, I goofed around with a couple of shades of green and black or maroon and some more of the white. I remember I used a sea sponge and a feather. Then I sprayed on a couple of coats of poly. I was very durable--it went in DD's room.

I think your piece could look nice with creams/beige/grays for the colors. It would kinda depend on the stain you choose for the wood. Best thing you can do is an internet search for marbles, then pick colors from those photos.

It did come out looking reasonably realistic. And it was easy as pie and cost me next to nothing. I had it at my garage sale and it went with one of the first people who'd camped out in my driveway for first dibs.

I'm sure if you google it, you'll find better directions than mine, LOL!

Here's my handiwork:

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Very pretty and well done, Tomorrow! I really like the way your wood and coloring came out.

• User
    14 years ago

Awesome Tomorrow! That's the perfect fix for rjinga's dresser and would certainly fit the era of the piece of furniture. You mention poly, but did you put it between each coat of the technique? Christopher Lowell's technique looks similar in "grain" as does yours. He puts poly between each coats to give the marble depth. I haven't tried it yet, but would really like to do so one of these days. Minwax makes a great water based poly Polyacrylic so you wouldn't even have to deal with the harmful fumes.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

what about this color? (link compliments of squirrels search efforts)

How would painting a piece (whether it be this dresser or another one) affect it's resale value?

I also would love to find this color, anyone care to check their pant decks for me?

http://home.aol.com/diy/photogallery_cl/_a/dresser-up/20080312162209990001

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Here's an Etsy shop with painted furniture. I don't personally think the "antiqued" pieces are very successful, but YMMV.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I don't care for the Etsy pieces, but I loove that chartreuse dresser with the lined drawers. It also looks great in the room they've got set up.

Not sure about your piece. It wouldn't seem to fit that mold as well, imo, but certainly for others something like that might be a great idea to try out, saleability-wise. I guess it depends on how solid or what shape the piece is in, as to how it would affect its value. Some things aren't worth much to begin with or are in such bad shape that painting might just be the way to go to give it more appeal.

• User
    14 years ago

The only time I'd paint a good old wood piece is if a customer asked me to and picked the color themselves, or if the piece, which is often the case in older wood furniture, was veneered and enough of the veneer was missing that it could not easily be fixed. Then I'd fill with wood putty sand smooth and prime it waiting for a customer to pick the color. Otherwise you're having to not only wait for a customer to fall in love with the shape and use of the item, but have the color fit their decor. I'd probably paint it virtually with a few popular colors to give ideas of how the piece would look painted though.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the responses have clearly been mixed and about 50 50 between painting and/or staining and using RAF. The reasons given for this preference are confusing to me some.

Some say it's not that special or unique of a piece that the wood doesn't appear to be that great? (all fine by the way, it is what it is right, I cant "make" it more valuable or nicer than it is). Others point out that staining over that burn spot on top will be hit or miss on how it turns out. And others voting I guess for stain, dont like covering old wood (again, fine, I tend to agree with liking older pieces to be more natural looking). But the idea of painting does appeal to me as well. AND, AND, AND, if this particular dresser is not anything extra special, then painting it to me would be the easier way to go.

So I guess I need to determine more effectively (if possible) how to judge the quality of the wood. Any suggestions there?

And then it might seem like the simplest thing for me to do in this dressers case (there will be others that I'll be able to get and then I can paint them :) Is to keep it as close to the color it is now as I can, while darkening (to hide) the blemish on the top.

I guess the problem I see in trying to appeal to "everyone" is that the dresser may not stand out enough to appeal to anyone and if it looks unfinished, than people will automatically think it should be discounted.

To me a finished, ready to move in piece, whether it has been painted OR stained, will be what people want. Granted, the fact that half will want stain, half will want paint etc. might affect who actually will consider it. But I do need to make a decision and just get it done.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Take a look at this store.

http://beehiveshabbyshop.com/ShabbyDressers.html

Everything they sell has been painted. While I am one who usually is for leaving wood alone, if a piece doesn't have much merit, you might as well slap some paint on it.

Unless a stained piece is pristine, you won't get much money for it. Look what has been languishing on Chicago's CL.
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/fuo/1499105740.html

Even if painted furniture falls out of favor with the decorating set, the masses are usually a decade behind, anyway.

Here's a great tutorial.
    http://www.mylifetime.com/lifestyle/home-crafts/home-decorating/dresser

Sorry, I can embed pictures but haven't tried to learn clickable links. I'll work on it.

• jant
    14 years ago

Parma,

They don't link when you paste in the text box. Paste in the box below...Optional Link URL. Then just title it something in the Name of the Link.

• User
    14 years ago

All the links worked for me but the CL one was deleted already.

I say paint. I vote a glossy black or even dark brown. I also like the idea of shabby chic. I love glass knobs!

• User
    14 years ago

Wanted to mention, Tomorrowisanotherday that is awesome! I didn't realize that was paint!

• parma42
    14 years ago

Painted Shabby

Tutorial

I went over to Kitchens and learned how to do it.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Hmmm shee, it's still showing for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique waterfall

• User
    14 years ago

:(

It says "This posting has been deleted by its author."

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I would have no trouble painting that piece. It's not a special wood. Also wondering what you plan to do with the big dings and other dents along the trim. They would stain differently than the original wood if filled. Things like that spell 'discount.'

I think you would prefer painting it! You will never be able to turn it into something that will appeal to everyone. And I also think your thoughts about having things that don't really stand out, in order to appeal to the masses, are also good and valid ones. Make it something you love and someone else will love it too!

• parma42
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

That was strange, shee.

The post still showed in my saved favorites but when I looked on CL, it had been deleted. Normally, my saved links will show deletions, also.

Anyway, it's a vintage waterfall with dovetailed drawers. They were asking for $50. It must have finally sold but who knows for how much.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will definitely fill the dings and sand them down and that's a good point on the differnt look it would have there vs elsewhere. I think igloochic noted the same issue if I were to stain the top where the burn mark is..

I have a pine dresser in my MB that was built to match a 4 poster pine log bed and there are a few spots on that dresser that were patched (probably due to splits that might have been too deep to leave). It's noticeable to me.

SO OK, then I think I've decide that I'll paint it, I do think with one of the 5 choices of glass knobs from hobby lobby, it will be very cute!

I'll post pics when I get closer to having it done.

I also like the idea of adding some decorative trim or whatever it's called, some cute scrolly thing :)

thanks to all for your great advice and suggestions. I hope I"m making the right choice.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

If you were to go the black route, which I think you'd mentioned above, maybe some toile inside!

• User
    14 years ago

rjinga, no matter how much we all have confused you, I'm glad to see you were able to make a desicion. After all it is yours to do with what you please. I guess I should have said this earlier, but since you are selling it at a shop you have to think of the customers that frequent that shop too. Are all the other furnishings sold there predominently painted? If so there are two ways to look at that, which I'm a bit hesitant to mention since you've already decided to paint it, but if they are all painted then your piece will not stand out. It will be one of however many other dressers/chest of drawers there are. If yours is stained among all others that are painted it could either stick out like a sore thumb or be a rare diamond among a bunch of faux pearls. So if it's going to be one among many find a way to make it a gem. Using unique hardware as you've found at Hobby Lobby could be just the stand out you need. Will you be changing all the hardware or just the top two as I mentioned above?

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

good point justgotabme, In fact I'd venture to say that most in fact are NOT painted. (I will have to confirm this tomorrow morning while I'm there setting up my cabinets etc). Not sure about the hardware question, I guess overall that depends on whether it's painted or stained. UGH am I back to not knowing again?

What I'm not completely clear about is perhaps not so much about whether to paint or stain, but more about the "appraisal" of sorts of the piece itself.

In my own summary, IF the wood is average/damaged in some way, then painting will hide this best and give the dresser new life.

On the other hand, IF the dresser is worthy of maintaining in it's original condition, to minimize the amount of change to the piece, then staining would seem right.

In this dressers case, Since it required a good deal of sanding to remove scratches, rings, burn marks etc, then the RAF (without staining first) would not work. and in fact staining itself may not really work well?

SO that's what I'm confused about is the varying opinions on actually how worthy is this wood, and how well will stain work on it. Painting to me seems like the easy route, with as much (in some cases) bang for the buck.

• User
    14 years ago

rjinga, where are the damaged areas? If just on top I'd recommend doing a faux marble as tomorrow did above or if you don't want to spend the time with that a darker stain that would pretty much hide the burn mark. So dark that it almost obiterates the grain. You could even coat it heavy, let it set then rub it off less in areas giving it an almost tortoise shell look. Either way, the marble or the staining I'd sand smooth, use a tack cloth and poly between each step. This will give the look more depth. You might want to play around on any scrap piece of wood before you decide what to do. Check out the clearance wood bins at HoDe for cheep practice wood.
    Good Luck!

• sharon_midtn
    14 years ago

rjinga, I can't really comment as I'm not very experienced in this area. I did want to mention though that from the picture it looked as though you sanded against the grain and I always heard that you should only sand with the grain. I just wanted to mention that as I didn't notice that anyone else did. If I'm wrong maybe others more experienced can correct me. Good luck and please post pics after you've finished the piece!

• User
    14 years ago

Sharon, for not being "very experienced in this area" you bring up a very important rule. I beleive in this case rjinga was doing all she could to get the burn mark off and got to that point most of us do when we just want to get rid of our projects damage. I know I've been there before, but once you've done this you will have learned from it. Veneer allows for a more expensive looking finished piece, but it posses problems when refinishing them, that's for sure.
    And yes, the burn mark in the top may have turned out a little less obvious if rjinga had sanded only with the grain of the wood since the streaking of the burn would have gone with the grain. This burn was deeper than the veneer so other than cutting out and replacing the veneer sanding alone wouldn't have made enough of a difference.
    It's still a very good point that you brought up and anyone refinishing furniture should remember to check if their piece is veneered.