SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Backsplash or no backsplash?

JohnnieB
15 years ago

As part of a major renovation we opened up the wall between the kitchen and dining room with a large pass-through to give us more room and light in our narrow galley kitchen, as well as more counter and storage space. We're coming up on some deadlines and need to make some fast decisions on counters (not to mention a million other things). Here are two views of the kitchen, photographed from the dining room side (the gap on the left is where the dishwasher will go):

The sink will be in the counter (2 feet wide) in the pass-through. The issue is whether or not to put a second, narrow counter on top of a backsplash. Our architect planned a counter raised on the backsplash that curves out into the dining room.

I like the idea, and I do tend to be a messy cook so it would be nice to be able to hide the mess on the kitchen side, but there are space considerations. I'm concerned that having the raised counter will intrude too far into the dining room (which is not very wide) and at the same time won't provide adequate space for serving dishes and platters. I'm skeptical that it will hide much of the mess, given the size of the pass-through and how open the new kitchen will be. PLUS I will have to reach over the counter from the kitchen side to put serving dishes up there.

My initial idea was to just have a flat counter going straight across, with no backsplash. My architect and partner both want the backsplash, but for what I consider primarily aesthetic reasons. For pure practicality, omitting the backsplash would let the counter intrude less into the dining room, and would also maximize the usable counter space from the dining room side.

Are raised counters on backsplashes just the current fashion, or is it something I'll really regret not having? Anybody else go one way and really wish they had gone the other? If we do go with the raised counter, how wide does it need to be to use for serving purposes?

Comments (7)