SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Can/should I make this Sub-Zero work in my 1826 kitchen remodel?

KevinMP
10 years ago

I'm going to post this over on the decorating forum, too, but I thought I'd post it here as well given the help I got with the project all along.

I sort of re-did my kitchen last year (there's a whole post on it if you're interested). But to make a long story short, I've been trying to find a different refrigeration option than what I have for two reasons. One, it's not ideal (and actually cautioned against) to have a professional range immediately next to a refrigerator. I don't have an option as to where the refrigerator goes, however; it must be in that corner. Two, it takes up a lot of visual space and sticks out into the room more than I'd like because it's not counterdepth. In a suburban sized kitchen, counterdepth is less significant from a practical perspective, but in this 1826 urban row home, it is (or at least seems to me to be). It has to be a left hinge unit, and because of the bay window and the moulding, it cannot be more than 30".

So I finally found a Sub-Zero 700TCI that was a customer return because of the fit/hinge arrangement. It's never been used, and is in perfect condition. It comes with the stainless steel panels and handles (and has an icemaker), and I can get it delivered and installed for about $2-2.5K less than retail (which, shockingly, is still $5K).

The advantage is that this is a 27" wide, 24" deep, and 80" high unit. So it will be counter depth and integrated (and really counter depth, not the fake counter depth other companies advertise), and it will fill up the whole space. It also gives me an awesome fridge/freezer set up with the two drawers, etc. And because it's only 27", I will have 4.5-5" to play with around the sides. So I can get a filler strip of the cabinet wood next to the Dacor range and a strip of black absolute for very little money (I already have the filler strip left over from the remodel). The backsplash already goes back there, so I thought ahead on that one. I would then have a 1" filler strip run down the side along the wall so that the Sub-Zero is not up against the wall.

There are a couple of issues, however. First, the Sub-Zero is 80" tall, but I have only 74.5" now. That's easily fixed by taking the 18" high upper out and replacing it with a 12" upper (which is only $150). But I should really use a 12" high upper that is 24" deep. The issues with that are (1) the company does not make 24" deep uppers that are only 12" high, and (2) I'd have to relocate the one pot light closer into the room (not a huge deal).

I think the end result would be fantastic, but do you think it is worth all of this, or would you leave the refrigerator as is?

Here's the space:

Comments (2)